Write and Submit a Proposal
Write and Submit a Proposal
The CNMS website provides detailed descriptions of specific research capabilities that are offered to users, and this list of capabilities is duplicated in checklist form on the downloadable CNMS User Proposal Form. Prospective users are invited and strongly encouraged to contact CNMS staff members in the respective research areas to discuss their proposal ideas and learn more about the specific capabilities of interest to them.
Each user proposal must describe clearly and specifically which part of the work is to be done using CNMS facilities: What CNMS tools and expertise will be needed to carry out which steps and on what timeline? Each user proposal must also clearly define the expected outcomes from the CNMS component: What are the targets or milestones that the CNMS contribution must meet in order for the overall research project to succeed? Please keep in mind that you are proposing a specific user project; describe the overall research program only so far as is necessary to establish the context and impact of the user proposal.
Priority must be given to proposals that lie within current CNMS Capabilities. Proposals that require capabilities from more than one area are encouraged, as are requests for theory/modeling/simulation support for experimental projects.
The CNMS provides access to resources, but does not provide direct research funding to users.
Access to CNMS facilities will be determined through a peer-reviewed proposal process. Each proposal will receive a rapid, initial screening for feasibility, safety and completeness by one or more CNMS research staff members. Proposals that are not feasible using the current capabilities at CNMS will be returned to the PI without further review. Selected members of the Proposal Review Committee (PRC) having expertise in the appropriate research areas will then evaluate each proposal according to the Review Criteria. CNMS management will allocate facility time to approved proposals considering the prioritization established by the PRC review results and the availability of resources.
To Submit A Proposal:
- The proposal template is available as a set of fillable Microsoft Word forms. Use the links below to download each of the necessary forms.
- CNMS Proposal Form (or LaTex version) - You must use the latest version from one of these links
- Neutron Scattering Appendix for requesting beam time at the SNS or HFIR user facilities.
- CV Template - Your NSF-style CV may be submitted in an alternative format but should include similar information as indicated on this template. Limit to a maximum of 2 pages.
- Review the descriptions of CNMS capabilities using this web site.
- Contact appropriate ORNL staff members listed in the relevant research area descriptions if you would like to discuss your intention to submit a proposal and clarify compatibility with available facilities (not required).
- Insert the information requested into the forms on your computer.
NOTE: User proposals must not contain any proprietary or sensitive information and PIs should be aware of the “Notice Regarding Public Dissemination of User Project Information” posted on this website.
- Attach all forms to a SINGLE e-mail message with subject line “CNMS proposal submission (last name of PI)” and mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: For more than one proposal by the same PI, add -1, -2, etc. to the name of the PI.
- NOTE: Submission of a proposal asserts an intention to publish the results in the open literature and constitutes an agreement to acknowledge the CNMS any such publications. Prescribed text for the acknowledgment may be found here.