Advanced Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM), Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (EELS), and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS)
**DISCONTINUED** Access to Soft Matter TEM (Zeiss Libra 120 TEM) and Hitachi HF3300 high-resolution TEM-STEM are being discontinued in anticipation of delivery and installation of the *New* JEOL NEOARM TEM/STEM, which should be available to users in the fall proposal cycle (2019A).
- Nion UltraSTEM 100 (U100) dedicated aberration-corrected STEM Instrument features a 3rd-generation C3/C5 aberration corrector, 0.5 nA current in atomic-size probe, ~1.0-1.1Å HAADF-STEM imaging resolution at 60 kV and 100 kV operating voltages. The Nion U100 features a Gatan Enfina EELS and a cold FEG for energy resolutions <350 meV at 100kV. This instrument has an unparalleled combination of atomic-resolution imaging and spectroscopy at mid- and low-voltages, and is especially valuable for the characterization of 2-dimensional materials (graphene, BN, transition metal dichalcogenides, etc.), catalysts, and other beam-sensitive materials.
More info ...
- Nion Hermes monochromated aberration-corrected (MAC)-STEM operates under ultra-high vacuum conditions at either 60 kV or 100 kV. The microscope is capable of resolving phonons and low-energy optical excitations with high spatial resolution. The MAC-STEM has a minimum probe size of 1.0 Å and 1.2 Å at 100 kV and 60 kV, respectively, and can acquire high-angle annular dark-field (HAADF), medium-angle annular dark-field (MAADF), annular bright-field (ABF), and bright-field (BF) STEM images with multiple photomultiplier detectors. The MAC-STEM is also equipped with a high-speed 2k x 2k CMOS camera, which is ideal for Ptychography experiments. In situ heating (up to 900°C) and biasing experiments can be conducted via Protochips Fusion system.
- FEI Titan S aberration-corrected TEM-STEM
Probe-corrected microscope features a Gatan Quantum EELS and Gatan Imaging Filter (GIF), with dual-EELS and fast spectrum imaging capabilities, an ‘extreme Schottky’ high-brightness field emission gun (X-FEG), and variable operating voltages (60, 120, and 300 kV). Instrument is equipped with high-angle annular dark field (HAADF), annular dark field (ADF), and bright field (BF) STEM detectors for sub-Å imaging. The FEI Titan-S aberration-corrected TEM/STEM has recently undergone major upgrades to enhance CNMS capabilities for analytical and in-situ microscopy: (i) addition of a large active area (60mm2) EDAX silicon drift detector (SDD) for high-collection-efficiency energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), enabling the simultaneous acquisition of EDS and EELS spectrum images; (ii) Protochips Atmosphere gas environmental cell holder for conducting in-situ gas reactions at pressures to 1 atm. and temperatures up to 1000°C. This new holder complements other specialized/in-situ holders available for use on the Titan, including holders for electrochemistry/liquid-flow (Protochips Poseidon), electrical biasing and heating (Protochips Aduro PE), in-situ AFM/STM (Nanofactory), 3D electron tomography, and LN2 cooling; (iii) Gatan OneView CMOS camera with in-situ option for high-frame-rate image/video capture.
More info ...
Instruments for Atom Probe Tomography (APT)
- Cameca Instruments Local Electrode Atom Probe (LEAP) 4000X HR
Advanced LEAP features a 1 MHz laser and 250 kHz high-voltage pulse generator, reflectron energy compensating lens, and a crossed delay line, single atom, position-sensitive detector. Instrument is used for the atomic level 3-dimensional compositional characterization of a wide range of materials, including metallic conductors, semi-conductors, oxides, and nanostructured materials.
More info ...
- FEI Nova 200 dual beam focused ion beam (FIB)-SEM
The FIB is dedicated to precision preparation and annular milling of needles required for APT, and is equipped with an annular STEM detector for site-specific FIB-milling, a Kleindiek nano-manipulator, and EDS.
More info ...