Advanced Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM), Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (EELS), and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS)
**NEW INSTRUMENT** Access to the JEOL NEOARM TEM/STEM will be initiated in the 2019 Spring Cycle for a limited number of users. Access to Soft Matter TEM (Zeiss Libra 120 TEM) and Hitachi HF3300 high-resolution TEM-STEM has been discontinued.
- Nion UltraSTEM 100 (U100) dedicated aberration-corrected STEM Instrument features a 3rd-generation C3/C5 aberration corrector, 0.5 nA current in atomic-size probe, ~1.0-1.1Å HAADF-STEM imaging resolution at 60 kV and 100 kV operating voltages. The Nion U100 features a Gatan Enfina EELS and a cold FEG for energy resolutions <350 meV at 100kV. This instrument has an unparalleled combination of atomic-resolution imaging and spectroscopy at mid- and low-voltages, and is especially valuable for the characterization of 2-dimensional materials (graphene, BN, transition metal dichalcogenides, etc.), catalysts, and other beam-sensitive materials.
More info ...
- Nion Hermes monochromated aberration-corrected (MAC)-STEM operates under ultra-high vacuum conditions at either 60 kV or 100 kV. The microscope is capable of resolving phonons and low-energy optical excitations with high spatial resolution. The MAC-STEM has a minimum probe size of 1.0 Å and 1.2 Å at 100 kV and 60 kV, respectively, and can acquire high-angle annular dark-field (HAADF), medium-angle annular dark-field (MAADF), annular bright-field (ABF), and bright-field (BF) STEM images with multiple photomultiplier detectors. The MAC-STEM is also equipped with a high-speed 2k x 2k CMOS camera, which is ideal for Ptychography experiments. In situ heating (up to 900°C) and biasing experiments can be conducted via Protochips Fusion system.
- JEOL NEOARM aberration-corrected analytical TEM/STEM: Microscope is equipped with a cold-field emitter and JEOL’s ASCOR aberration corrector; microscope operates at 30kV, 60 kV, 100kV, or 200 kV and under low-dose conditions. The microscope can be operated in TEM, STEM, and Lorentz modes and can acquire high-angle annular dark-field (HAADF), annular bright-field (ABF), and bright-field (BF) STEM images as well as secondary (SE) and backscatter electron (BSE) images. The NEOARM is equipped with a pixel array detector, which is ideal for ptychography experiments. Simultaneous acquisition of energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) and electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS) data.
Instruments for Atom Probe Tomography (APT)
- Cameca Instruments Local Electrode Atom Probe (LEAP) 4000X HR
Advanced LEAP features a 1 MHz laser and 250 kHz high-voltage pulse generator, reflectron energy compensating lens, and a crossed delay line, single atom, position-sensitive detector. Instrument is used for the atomic level 3-dimensional compositional characterization of a wide range of materials, including metallic conductors, semi-conductors, oxides, and nanostructured materials.
More info ...
- FEI Nova 200 dual beam focused ion beam (FIB)-SEM
The FIB is dedicated to precision preparation and annular milling of needles required for APT, and is equipped with an annular STEM detector for site-specific FIB-milling, a Kleindiek nano-manipulator, and EDS.
More info ...