Delivering new innovations to industry to help increase the nation’s economic competitiveness is an important part of Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s mission. Our Technology Innovation Program accelerates commercial adoption of promising Lab-developed technologies by making targeted investments that enhance commercial readiness and raise a technology’s visibility in the region. Since 2013, ORNL has invested more than $7 million in 29 projects, resulting in 19 commercial licenses and options with partners ranging from Fortune 100 companies to early-stage startups.
Involvement of ORNL research teams in TIP requires a rigorous proposal process. Each year, a panel of ORNL managers and commercial experts select the most compelling technologies for a year of R&D development and outreach. At year’s end, these technologies are offered to industry partners whose licensing agreements allow them to commercialize the technologies. Additional funding may also be awarded for follow-on R&D efforts.
Please contact us if you would like to be included in the TIP calls for license applications.
2019 Project Videos
- BEST - Biomacromolecule Engineering by Soft Chain Coupling
- CellSight - Rapid, Native Single Cell Mass Spectrometry
- Genetic Improvement of Salt and Drought Tolerance in Crop Plants
- Rapid Regeneration of Recalcitrant Plant Species
2018 Project Videos
- Heartbeat—Cyber Anomaly Detection through Side-Channel Analysis of Periodic System Function Invocation
- Carbon Nanomaterial Enabled Ultra Conductive Metal Composites (UCC)
- Low-Cost, High-Strength Ni–Fe–Cr Alloys for High-Temperature Applications
- Commercialization of AlCuMnZr (SCMZ) Alloys
- Safe Impact Resistant Electrolytes (SAFIRE)
2017 TIP Project Videos
- Low-Cost, High-Quality Carbon Fiber Precursor
- Low-Temperature Oxidation Catalyst
- Reusing CO2 as Fuel: Converting Carbon Dioxide to Ethanol
- Self-Correcting Random Number Generator
- Thermally Stable Aluminum-Cerium Alloys for 3D Printing