Dr. Pradeep Ramuhalli is a Nuclear Instrumentation and Controls Engineer and a Distinguished Scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). He has over 15 years of expertise in advanced sensors and measurement systems, diagnostics and prognostics, and nuclear structural health monitoring/nondestructive evaluation, with the goal of improving reliability and resilience of complex systems. His current research is focused on developing and evaluating sensors and algorithms for continuous online monitoring of stressors and systems for degradation detection and characterization, prognostics algorithms to assess remaining useful life, and methodologies to assure reliability of measurements and resilience of degraded systems. Applications of his research are in life extension and economic operation of nuclear power plants (both light water and Gen IV), cyber-security, and international safeguards. He co-edited a book on integrated vision and imaging techniques for industrial inspection and has authored or co-authored 4 book chapters, over 175 technical publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences (including over 35 peer-reviewed journal publications), and over 90 technical research reports.
Dr. Ramuhalli is an elected member of the ANS Human Factors, Instrumentation and Control Division (HFICD) Executive Committee (2018-2021), and was a Technical co-Chair of the ANS 2019 Topical Meeting on Nuclear Plant Instrumentation, Control, and Human-Machine Interface Technologies (NPICHMIT). Previously, he was an elected member of the governing board (Administrative Committee) of the IEEE Reliability Society for a three year term (2014-2016), and for 2016, was elected as a member of the IEEE Reliability Society Executive Committee. He has served as the Program Chair for the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management (PHM2016), and is a Scientific Advisory Board member for the QNDE conference. He is a past chair of the Richland, WA, chapter of the IEEE Sensors Council. Dr. Ramuhalli is a senior member of IEEE, and a member of ANS, and was inducted into the IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu (IEEE-HKN) honor society in 2015.
- B.Tech. (Electronics and Communication Engineering). J.N.T. University, India (1995)
- M.S. (Electrical Engineering). Iowa State University (1998)
- Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering). Iowa State University (2002)
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate. Electrical and Computer Eng., Michigan State University (2002-2003)
- Group Lead, Modern Nuclear Instrumentation and Controls Group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 2022- Present
- Distinguished R&D Staff, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 2019- Present
- Senior Research Scientist/Engineer, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA, 2009-2019
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, Jun. 2009- May 2011
- Assistant Professor: Electrical and Computer Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, Aug. 2003-Jun. 2009
- ASEE Faculty Fellow, Air Force Research Laboratory, Dayton, OH, Summer 2008
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, Jan. 2002-Aug. 2003
Reliability and resilience engineering, Nuclear instrumentation and control, Nondestructive evaluation/system health monitoring, Prognostics Health Management (PHM), Pattern recognition and Neural Networks, Inverse problems, Signal and Image Processing, Information fusion and distributed signal processing, Computational methods for electromagnetics and acoustics
Professional Activities and Service
- Technical Co-Chair for the ANS NPIC-HMIT Conference 2019.
- Keynote Speaker, NDE2017 Conference (Chennai, India), December 2017
- Moderator and participant, Asymmetry in Resilience Meeting, September 2014, Washington D.C.
- Member, Working Group for IEEE Standard P-1856-2017 (IEEE Standard Framework for Prognostics and Health Management of Electronic Systems)
- Organized short course in “Damage Prognostics” at World Federation of NDE Centers meeting (July 2015)
- Co-organizer for DOE-NE LWRS NDE Workshops (7/29-8/2) at ORNL to identify needs and technical gaps relative to NDE for long term operation of NPP
- Scientific Advisory Board member, Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation (QNDE).
- Scientific Advisory Board member, Future of Instrumentation International Conference 2013.
- Steering Committee member, IEEE International Workshop on Cyber Resilience Economics (CRE 2016; in conjunction with the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Software Quality, Reliability and Security 2016)
- Organizing Committee Member
- Program Chair, IEEE Int’l. Conf. Prognostics and Health Management 2016, Ottawa, Canada, June 2016
- Program Chair, IEEE Int’l. Conf. Prognostics and Health Management 2015, Austin, TX, June 2015
- Tutorials Chair, IEEE Int’l. Conf. Prognostics and Health Management 2014, Cheney WA, June 2014
- Committee member, IEEE Int’l. Conf. Prognostics and Health Management 2013, Gaithersburg, MD, June 2013
- Proceedings co-chair, IEEE Int’l. Conf. Prognostics and Health Management 2011, Denver, CO, June 2011
- Committee member, 13th International Symposium on Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics (ISEM2007), East Lansing, MI, September 2007.
- Committee member, Sixth IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology 2006 (eit2006), East Lansing, MI, May 2006.
- Committee member, 10th International Workshop on Electromagnetic Nondestructive Evaluation (ENDE2004), June 1-2, 2004, East Lansing, MI, USA.
- Member, Technical Program Committee (TPC)
- ANS NPIC-HMIT 2015 and 2017
- IEEE PHM 2017
- IEEE Sensors and Applications Symposium 2010, 2011, and 2013.
- Inverse Problems Symposium 2009.
- IEEE Sensors and Applications Symposium 2009.
- Executive Committee member, ANS HFICD Division. Term of office 2018-2021.
- Secretary, IEEE Richland Section for 2017-2018
- Secretary, IEEE Reliability Society for 2016
- Administrative Committee member (equivalent to Board of Governors), IEEE Reliability Society. Term of office 2014-2016.
- Sensors Chapter Secretary, IEEE Richland Section 2012-2013.
- Sensors Chapter chair, IEEE Richland Section, 2011.
- Industry Relations Coordinator, IEEE Richland Section, 2010.