Kinga A Unocic
Kinga A Unocic
Research Staff Scientist
Dr. Kinga Unocic is a Materials Scientist in Electron and Atom Probe Microscopy Group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. She received her Masters degree in the Metallurgical Engineering from AGH University of Science and Technology (2002) (Poland), and a M.S. and a Ph.D. (2009) in Materials Science and Engineering from The Ohio State University. She has 13 years of experience in advanced structural and chemical characterization of materials systems using high-resolution scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM), STEM-based microanalysis methods including energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) and electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS), and most recently, the development of in situ microscopy techniques to study materials behavior under relevant pressures, temperatures, and gas environments. She has been working on applying new capability of introducing water vapor into in situ environmental studies by utilizing the Protochips Inc. gas-cell ability using TEM that allows heating the specimen up to 1000°C in various gasses to investigate high-temperature oxidation of NiAl alloys at the atomic level, in order to clarify the existing theory of the oxidation mechanism. She also performs operando STEM study of catalytic materials for regeneration method development for commercial bioenergy applications and utilize in situ characterization, experimental catalyst evaluation, and computational modeling, to develop relationships between the properties and performance of the Ag/ZrO2/SiO2 catalyst that will enable design of catalysts and process conditions variation to modulate the olefin product composition (i.e., butadiene versus butenes or vice versa) and improve catalyst lifetime. Unocic is the recipient of the 2017 TMS Young Leaders International Scholar – JIM Award from The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS). In 2010, she received the TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award.
• 2017 TMS Young Leaders International Scholar – JIM Award
• 2014 Women in Materials Science and Engineering Committee Travel Grant for TMS Diversity Summit
• 2010 TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award
• 2007 International Metallographic Contest Best in Show, Jacquet-Lucas Award for Excellence in Metallography: K.A. Unocic
and G.S. Daehn, "TEM Sample Preparation Method for Grain Boundary Phase Identification in Al-Mg alloys"
• 1st in Class Honors in Metallurgical Engineering, AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Poland, (1997-2002)
• Academic Scholar and Sportswoman of the Year Award 1998/1999, AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow,
1. K.A. Unocic, Y. Chen, D. Shin, B.A. Pint, E. A. Marquis, STEM and APT characterization of scale formation on a La,Hf,Ti-doped NiCrAl model alloy, Micron 109 (2018) 41-52.
2. K.A. Unocic, D. T. Hoelzer and B. A. Pint, The Microstructure and environmental resistance of low Cr ODS FeCrAl, Materials at High Temperatures, 32, No 1–2, (2015) 123-132.
3. K.A. Unocic, H.M. Meyer III, F.S. Walden, N.L. Marthe, W. C. Bigelow and L.F. Allard, Controlling Water Vapor in Gas -Cell Microscopy Experiments, Microsc. Microanal. 24, Suppl. 1 (2018) 286-287.
4. RW. Atkinson III, S.St. John, O. Dyck, K.A. Unocic, R.R. Unocic, C.S. Burke, J.W. Cisco, C.A. Rice, T.A. Zawodzinski, A.B. Papandrew, Supportless, Bismuth-Modified Palladium Nanotubes with Improved Activity and Stability for Formic Acid Oxidation, ACS Catalysis, 5 (2015) 5154-5163.
5. M. Taborga Claure, S.-H. Chai, S. Dai, K.A. Unocic, F.M. Alamgir, P.K. Agrawal, C.W. Jones, Tuning of higher alcohol selectivity and productivity in CO hydrogenation reactions over K/MoS2 domains supported on mesoporous activated carbon and mixed MgAl oxide, Journal of Catalysis 324 (2015) 88–97.
6. M.P. Brady, M. Fayek, H.M. Meyer III, D.N. Leonard, H.H. Elsentriecy, K.A. Unocic, L.M. Anovitz, E. Cakmak, J.R. Keiser, G.L. Song and B. Davis Tracer Study of Oxygen and Hydrogen Uptake by Mg Alloys in Air with Water Vapor, Scripta Materialia 106 (2015) 38–41.
7. K.A. Unocic, D.N. Leonard, and B.A. Pint, Effect of boron on the oxidation behavior of NiCrAlYHfTi in H2O and CO2 environments, Surface & Coatings Technology 260 (2014) 17–22.
8. K.A. Unocic, H. Wang, J.P Shingledecker, and P.F. Tortorelli, Microstructural Changes in Inconel® 740 after Long-Term Aging in the Presence and Absence of Stress, Journal of the Minerals Metals & Materials Society, JOM, Vol. 66, No. 12 ( 2014) 2537-2542 (invited).
9. K.A. Unocic and B.A. Pint, Alloying and coating strategies for improved Pb-Li compatibility in DEMO-type fusion reactors, Journal of Nuclear Materials 455 (2014) 330–334.
10. K.A. Unocic and B. A. Pint, Effect Of Environment On The High Temperature Oxidation Behavior Of 718 And 718plus, 8th International Symposium on Superalloy 718 and Derivatives, MS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society) (2014) 609-619.