Research and Development Staff
Sudershan Gangrade is a Water Resources Engineer within the Environmental Sciences Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. He has a multidisciplinary background spanning the fields of environmental engineering, hydrology, geology and geophysics. His research focuses on hydrologic and land surface modeling, hydrodynamic flood simulations, hydroclimate impact assessment with an overarching goal to develop sustainable solutions for energy-water systems at local, regional and global scales. He employs high performance computing and modeling tools, data analytics and visualization techniques to achieve these objectives.
Sudershan earned his PhD in Energy Science and Engineering with a focus in Environmental and Climate Sciences at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville in 2019. He also holds a MS in Environmental Engineering and Sciences (2012) from Clemson University, SC, USA and a BS (B.Tech.) in Environmental Engineering (2010) from Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, India.
Prior to joining ORNL, he worked as an Environmental Engineer/Geophysicist at an Environmental Consulting firm in Indianapolis, Indiana where he was involved in a wide variety of projects including environmental assessments and remediation, environmental management and litigation support, water resource exploration, karst mapping and preferential flow pathway detection through geophysical imaging.
- Gangrade, S., S.-C. Kao, and R. A. McManamay (2020), Multi-model Hydroclimate Projections for the Alabama-Coosa-Tallapoosa River Basin in the Southeastern United States, Scientific Reports, 10, 2870, doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-59806-6.
- Morales Hernández, M., M. B. Sharif, S. Gangrade, T. T. Dullo, S.-C. Kao, A. Kalyanapu, S. K. Ghafoor, K. J. Evans, E. Madadi Kandjani, and B. R. Hodges (2020), High Performance Computing in Water Resources Hydrodynamics. Journal of Hydroinformatics, doi: 10.2166/hydro.2020.163.
- Sharif, M. B., S.K. Ghafoor, T.M. Hines, M. Morales-Hernändez, K. J. Evans, S.-C. Kao, A. Kalyanapu, T. T. Dullo, and S. Gangrade (2020). Performance Evaluation of a Two-Dimensional Flood Model on Heterogeneous High-Performance Computing Architectures. In Proceedings of the Platform for Advanced Scientific Computing Conference (pp. 1-9). doi: 10.1145/3394277.3401852
- Gangrade, S., S.-C. Kao, T. T. Dullo, A. J. Kalyanapu, and B. L. Preston (2019), Ensemble-based Flood Vulnerability Assessment for Probable Maximum Flood in a Changing Environment. Journal of Hydrology, 576, 342-355, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.06.027.
- Gangrade, S., S.-C. Kao, B.S. Naz., D. Rastogi, M. Ashfaq, N. Singh, and B.L. Preston (2018), Sensitivity of probable maximum flood in a changing environment, Water Resources Research, 54(6), 3913-3936, doi:10.1029/2017WR021987.
- Jager, H. I., A.W. King, S. Gangrade, A. Haines, C. DeRolph, B.S. Naz, and M. Ashfaq (2018), Will future climate change increase the risk of violating minimum flow and maximum temperature thresholds below dams in the Pacific Northwest?, Climate Risk Management, 21, 69-84, doi:10.1016/j.crm.2018.07.001.
- Naz, B. S., S.-C. Kao, M. Ashfaq., H. Gao, D. Rastogi, and S. Gangrade (2018), Effects of climate change on streamflow extremes and implications for reservoir inflow in the United States, Journal of Hydrology, 556, 359-370, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2017.11.027.
- Rastogi, D., S.-C. Kao, M. Ashfaq, R. Mei, E.D. Kabela, S. Gangrade, ... and V.G. Anantharaj, (2017), Effects of climate change on probable maximum precipitation: A sensitivity study over the Alabama‐Coosa‐Tallapoosa River Basin, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 122(9), 4808-4828, doi: 10.1002/2016JD026001.
- Ashfaq, M., D. Rastogi, R. Mei, S.-C. Kao, S. Gangrade, B.S. Naz, and D. Touma (2016), High‐resolution ensemble projections of near‐term regional climate over the continental United States, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121(17), 9943-9963, doi:10.1002/2016JD025285.