R&D Staff Scientist
- Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2007.
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Pusan National University, Republic of Korea, Pusan, 2002.
- B.S. Materials Science and Engineering, Pusan National University, Republic of Korea, Pusan, 2000.
- Computational thermodynamics (CALPHAD) and first-principles calculations based on density functional theory (DFT).
- Phase stabilities and properties prediction of energy materials.
- Structural materials (metal alloys and ceramics).
- Nuclear materials.
- Energy storage/conversion/harvesting materials.
- 2010 to present: Research and Development Staff, Surface Processing and Mechanics Group.
- 2007 to 2010: Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
- 2002 to 2007: Graduate Research Assistant.
- 2011 Young Leader Professional Development Award, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) Light Metals Division.
- 2010 Alvin M. Weinberg Fellowship, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- D. Shin, H.-G. Shin, and H. Lee. Thermodynamic investigation of the (La1-xGdx)2Zr2O7pyrochlore phase. CALPHAD, 45:27–32, 2014.
- H. Jeen, W. S. Choi, M. D. Biegalski, C. M. Folkman, I. C. Tung, D. D. Fong, J. W. Freeland, D. Shin, H. Ohta, M. F. Chisholm, and H. N. Lee. Reversible redox reactions in an epitaxially stabilized SrCoOxoxygen sponge. Nat. Mater, 12(11):1057–1063, 2013.
- A. van de Walle, P. Tiwary, M. de Jong, D. L. Olmsted, M. Asta, A. Dick, D. Shin, and Y. Wang. Efficient stochastic generation of special quasirandom structures. CALPHAD, 42:13–18, 2013.
- K. A. Terrani, C. M. Parish, D. Shin, and B. A. Pint. Protection of zirconium by alumina- and chromia-forming iron alloys under high-temperature steam exposure. J. Nucl. Mater., 438(1-3):64–74, 2013.
- D. Shin, T. M. Besmann, and B. L. Armstrong. Phase stability of noble metal loaded WO3for SO2sensing application. Sens. Actuators, B, 176:75–80, 2013.
- D. Shin and T. M. Besmann. Thermodynamic modeling of the (U,La)O2±xsolid solution phase. J. Nucl. Mater., 433(1-3):227–232, 2012.
- D. Shin and C. Wolverton. The effect of native point defect thermodynamics on off-stoichiometry in β-Mg17Al12. Acta Mater., 60(13-14):5135–5142, 2012.