Recreational & Cultural Opportunities
The following links offer general information about parks, cultural events, and recreational opportunities available. All locations listed are within a few hours' drive.
- Oak Ridger (newspaper)
- Oak Ridge Reservation
- The Oak Ridge Reservation has more than 45 known prehistoric sites, 250 pre-WWII structures (such as Freels Bend cabin, shown above), and a number of historically significant Manhattan Project structures. A Research Park brief, "Cultural Resources on the Oak Ridge Reservation" is now available in pdf form. Contact Pat Parr at 576-8123 with your name and mailing address for a hard copy or see the Research Park Briefs website.
Knoxville and Knox County
- Knoxville, Tennessee
- Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame
- Tennessee Riverboat Company
- Ice Chalet
- Concord Park
- 500 acres including: Baseball, Softball, Tennis, Football, Golf , Concord Jr. Golf 9-hole par three, Skatepark, Boat Access, Concessions, Fishing, Marina, Mountain Biking, Natural Trails, Paved Trails, Picnic Shelters, Picnic Tables, Playground, Restrooms, and more.
- The Cove at Concord Park
- Beach Area with lake swimming, Canoe & Kayak Rentals, Soccer, In-line Hockey, Volleyball, Fishing, Paved Trails, Walking Loop, Picnic Shelter, Picnic Tables, Playground, Restrooms, and more.
- Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area
- Cumberland Gap Natural Historic Area
- Nice mix of history and scenery. Uncrowded camping with bike trail; several nice hiking trails. Sand Cave & Hensley settlement are highlights.
- Biltmore Estate
- A 250-room historical chateau in located in Asheville, North Carolina (about 3 hours from Oak Ridge); open all year.
- Fort Loudon State Historical Area
- Frozen Head State Park
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Most visited national park in the U.S.; camping, hiking, fishing, and more.
- Historic Rugby
- Norris Dam State Park
- Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)
- Lost Sea, Sweetwater
- Wartburg Speedway
- Smoky Mountain Speedway
Boat/Jet Ski Rentals at local marinas
Concerts and Events
- Knoxville Area Theatres
- Theatre Knoxville Downtown
- Oak Ridge Playhouse
- Clarence Brown Theatre
- Cumberland County Playhouse
- American Museum of Science and Energy
- Knoxville Museum of Art
- McClung Museum
- Museum of Appalachia, Norris
Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg
- Dolly’s Splash Country
- Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies, Gatlinburg
- Tennessee Smokies Baseball
- Ocoee Rafting
- Ocoee Adventure Center
- Ocoee Whitewater Express
- Wild Water Rafting in Ocoee
- Rafting in the Smokies
- Nantahala Outdoor Center