Syed Z Islam
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Kentucky, 2017
M.S., Chemical Engineering, North Carolina A&T State University, 2012
B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 2009
Novel advanced materials and processes for energy and environmental applications; Separation Science and Technology, Membrane Science, Separation, purification, recovery, and recycling of critical materials including rare earth elements, lithium, and cobalt; Water desalination; Photocatalysis; Nanostructured materials.
2. Outstanding Graduate Student Award, University of Kentucky, 2017.
3. Outstanding Poster Presentation Award, KY NSF EPSCoR Super Collider Symposium, Lexington, KY, 2017.
4. Dissertation Enhancement Award, University of Kentucky, 2016.
5. North American Membrane Society Student Stipend Award, 2016.
6. Center of Membrane Sciences 2016 Ph.D. Student Fellow Award, University of Kentucky, 2016.
7. Selected for 18th U.S. National School on Neutron and X-ray Scattering, sponsored by Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Argonne National Laboratory and US Department of Energy, 2016.
8. 1st Place Poster Award, Chemical and Materials Engineering Symposium, University of Kentucky, 2015.
9. University of Kentucky Graduate School Travel Award, 2014-2016.
10. UKFCU ScholarConnect Scholarship, 2014.
11. Certificate for Scholarly Accomplishments and Excellence in Academic Performance at North Carolina A&T State University, 2010-2011.
12. University Technical Scholarship, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh, 2004-2008.
2. Suraj Nagpure, Jiagang Xu, Md. Arif Khan, Syed Z. Islam, Qinglin Zhang, Yang ¬Tse Cheng, and Stephen Rankin, Synthesis of Layer-By-Layer Thick Mesoporous Titania Films with Vertically Oriented 2D-HCP Nanopores and Their Use in Lithium Ion Batteries As Negative Electrodes, Advanced Functional Materials, 2018, 28 (37), 1801849.
3. Syed Z. Islam, Allen Reed, Suraj Nagpure, James Browning, Joseph Strzalka, Doo-Young Kim, and Stephen Rankin, Hydrogen incorporation by plasma treatment gives mesoporous black TiO2 thin films with visible photoelectrochemical water oxidation activity, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 2018, 261, 35-43.
4. M. Arif Khan, William Wallace, Syed Z. Islam, Suraj Nagpure, Joseph Strzalka, John Littleton, Stephen Rankin and Barbara Knutson, Adsorption and Recovery of Polyphenolic Flavonoids Using TiO2 Functionalized Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2017, 9 (37), 32114–32125.
5. Syed Z. Islam, Suraj Nagpure, Doo-Young Kim, and Stephen E. Rankin, Synthesis and Catalytic Applications of Non-metal Doped Mesoporous Titania, Inorganics, 2017, 5, 15.
6. Syed Z. Islam, Allen D. Reed, Namal Wanninayake, Doo-Young Kim, and Stephen E. Rankin, Remarkable Enhancement of Photocatalytic Hydrogen Production in N2/Ar Plasma Treated, Mesoporous TiO2 Films, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2016, 120(26), 14069–14081.
7. Syed Z. Islam, Allen D. Reed, Doo-Young Kim, and Stephen E. Rankin, N2/Ar Plasma Induced Doping of Ordered Mesoporous TiO2 Thin Films for Visible Light Active Photocatalysis, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 2016, 220, 120-128.
8. Syed Z. Islam and Stephen E. Rankin, Hydrazine-Based Synergistic Ti(III)/N Doping of Surfactant-Templated TiO2 Thin Films for Enhanced Visible Light Photocatalysis, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2016, 182, 382-393.
9. Syed Z. Islam, Vishwanath G. Deshmane, and Shamsuddin Ilias, Thermal Stability Study of Pd-Composite Membrane Fabricated by Surfactant Induced Electroless Plating (SIEP), Separation Science and Technology, 2016, 51(7), 1176-1188.
10. Saikat Das, Suraj Nagpure, Ravinder Garlapalli, Qingliu Wu, Syed Z. Islam, Joseph Strzalka, and Stephen E. Rankin, In-Situ GISAXS Study of Pore Orientation Effect on Thermal Transformation Mechanism of Surfactant Templated Mesoporous Titania Thin Films, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2016, 18, 2896-2905 (Featured in ARGONNE TODAY on February 17, 2016).