My primary research objective is to design, characterize, and implement multifunctional materials with advanced functionalities and enhanced mechanical properties that can be easily combined with structural systems to improve their performance, safety, and functionality.
Besides research, I equally love teaching! I have always enjoyed teaching subjects like the mechanics of materials, finite elements, vibrations, and structural dynamics, among many. I am also passionate about music. In my free time, I love to play my keyboard piano, listen to music, and be in nature!
- Multifunctional materials and structures
- Printable composites
- Multiscale and multiphysics modeling
- Inverse finite element modeling
- Spatial sensing and structural health monitoring
Ph.D. in Structural Engineering, 2020, University of California San Diego, CA, U.S.
M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2015, University of California Davis, CA, U.S.
B.E. in Construction Engineering, 2014, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
1. S. Gupta, Y. Lin, H-J. Lee, R. Wu, J. P. Lynch, and K. J. Loh, “Self-Sensing Concrete Pavements and Electrical Impedance Tomography for In Situ Crack Mapping”, Journal of Concrete and Cement Composites, Elsevier (Under review)
2. S. Gupta, H. (Eric) Kim, H. Kim, and K. J. Loh, “Planar Array Capacitive Imaging for Subsurface Damage Detection in Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites”, Measurement Science and Technology (1361 – 650), IOP
3. S. Gupta, K. J. Loh, and A. Pedtke, “Sensing and Actuation Technologies for Smart Socket Prostheses”, Biomedical Engineering Letters (2093-9868), Springer
4. S. Gupta, G. Vella, I-N Yu, C-H Loh, W-H Chiang, and K. J. Loh, “Graphene Sensing Meshes for Densely Distributed Strain Field Monitoring”, Structural Health Monitoring (1475-9217), Sage
5. C. Dhong, R. Miller, N. B. Root, S. Gupta, L. V. Kayser, C. W. Carpenter, K. J. Loh, V. S. Ramachandran, and D. J. Lipomi, 2019, “Role of Indentation Depth and Contact Area on Human Perception of Softness for Haptic Interfaces,” Science Advances (2375-2548), AAAS
6. S. Gupta, H-J. Lee, K. J. Loh, M. D. Todd, J. Reed, and A. D. Barnett, 2018, “Noncontact Strain Monitoring of Osseointegrated Prostheses,” Sensors (1424-8220), MDPI
7. S. Gupta and K. J. Loh, 2018, “Monitoring Osseointegrated Prosthesis Loosening and Fracture using Electrical Capacitance Tomography,” Biomedical Engineering Letters (2093-9868), Springer
8. G. Fan, S. Gupta, and K. J. Loh, 2018, “Curing and Subsurface Damage Monitoring of Epoxy-based Composites,” Structural Health Monitoring (1475-9217), Sage
9. S. Gupta, G. Fan, and K. J. Loh, 2017, “Noninvasive Monitoring of Epoxy Curing,” IEEE Sensors Letters (2475-1472), IEEE
10. S. Gupta and K. J. Loh, 2017, “Noncontact Electrical Permittivity Mapping and pH-Sensitive Thin Films for Osseointegrated Prosthesis and Infection Monitoring,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging (0278-0062), IEEE
11. S. Gupta and K. J. Loh, 2017, “Non-Contact Tomographic Imaging and Nanocomposite Films for Monitoring Human-Prosthesis Interfaces,” Procedia Engineering (1877-7058), Elsevier
12. L. Wang, S. Gupta, K. J. Loh, and H. S. Koo, 2016, “Distributed Pressure Sensing using Carbon Nanotube Fabrics,” IEEE Sensors Letters (1530-437X), IEEE
13. S. Gupta, J. Gonzalez, and K. J. Loh, 2016, “Self-Sensing Concrete Enabled by Nano-Engineered Cement Aggregate Interfaces,” Structural Health Monitoring (1475-9217), Sage
14. J. G. Gonzalez, S. Gupta, and K. J. Loh, 2016, “Multifunctional Cement Composites Enhanced with Carbon Nanotube Thin Film Interfaces,” Proceedings of the IEEE (0018-0219), IEEE