Dr. Stephen C. Purdy is an associate R&D staff scientist in the Chemical Process Scale-Up Group in the Manufacturing Science Division of Oak Ridge National Laboratory. He obtained his PhD at Purdue University in 2019 and spent three years as a post-doc at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in the Powder Diffraction Group in the Neutron Scattering Division before joining as a staff member if 2022. His interests lie in structural characterization of catalysts under working conditions using X-ray and Neutron methods, developing new sample environments for in-situ and operando X-ray/neutron characterization, catalyst synthesis/formulation, and the transformation of renewable-derived feedstocks for sustainable fuel and chemical production.
- PhD Chemical Engineering Purdue University
- MS Materials Science & Engineering University of Arizona
- BS Materials Science & Engineering University of Arizona
- micro-reactors for catalyst evaluation
- Process-scale fixed-bed reactor for advanced TRL catalyst evaluation
- benchtop extruder/spheronizer for catalyst formulation