Som S Shrestha
Dr. Som S Shrestha is a Building Scientist within the Building Technologies Research and Integration Center at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. His current research is focused on developing technologies to enhance building energy efficiency and enable demand flexibility that includes developing and evaluating
- Building envelope that can redirect unwanted heat and coolness,
- New high-performance insulation materials,
- Phase-change materials for thermal energy storage, and
- Modeling tool to guide the development of low thermal conductivity materials
- Energy savings and moisture transfer calculator
Some of Dr. Shrestha’s recently completed works at ORNL include thermal performance evaluation of various radiant barrier systems, evaluation of thermochromic coatings for building applications, development of a protocol for lifetime energy and environmental impact assessment of building insulation materials, and evaluation of lower-GWP alternative refrigerants.
Before joining ORNL, he worked at Industrial Assessment Center at Iowa State University and as a mechanical engineer in Nepal. Shrestha earned a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Iowa State University in 2009.
Dr. Shrestha is an ASHRAE certified Building Energy Modeling Professional (BEMP)