- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
Senior R&D Staff Member (2013-Present)
PI of $10.8M carbon fiber development CRADA, melt spun polyacrylonitrile precursor project,
manufacturing of composites from lignin-based carbon fiber, and responsible for leadership of several
other key carbon fiber and composites programs.
- Group Leader (1990-2013)
Managed Polymer Matrix Composites Group at ORNL. Directed efforts of widely recognized
professionals, accomplished technical support, and administrative staff. Responsible for strategic
planning, technical activities, management of projects, and development of new projects/programs in
this entrepreneurial group. Personal leadership of advanced performing development, alternative
tooling for electron beam curing, and carbon fiber and composites projects.
- Development Associate III (1985-1990)
Project manager/squad leader in composite materials development group. Directed applied
development and fabrication projects using state-of-the-art materials.
- Development Associate II (1983-1985)
Dynamic testing of materials and components under development for the Advanced Gas Centrifuge
Program at Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Plant. Responsibilities included test development, test
direction, and facilities management.
- Celanese Corporation, Charlotte, NC
Research and Development Engineer I (1981-1982)
Development of new products, including special fibers for sewing thread, fiberfill, and polyester
cover sheets for disposable diapers. Responsibilities required extensive interface with marketing and
manufacturing organizations. Directed pilot-plant and plant-scale trials.
* Three times recognized at company “Awards Night” for Group Leadership (2005) and team
contributions (1998 and 2012). Chaired 2 Electron Beam Curing of Composites Workshops attended
by leading composites researchers and program managers to review and promote research agenda.
Invited by Associate Provost to review and assess Composites Center vitality at VPI. SAMPE
Symposium Session Chairman, May 2004.
* Registered Professional Engineer (Inactive Status) in the State of Tennessee, #18348.
* College Awards: Alumni Fellowship Award - unrestricted $5,000 grant for graduate study (1 of 3
awarded for 1980-1981). Reid-Baskin Scholarship (1978-1979 and 1979-1980) - $1000 awards.
Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award in Mechanical Engineering (1978 and 1979).
- M.S., Clemson University, 1981
- B.S., Clemson University, 1980 - Magna Cum Laude