Raphael P Hermann
Senior R&D Staff
Basic and applied problems in materials physics. Neutron and x-ray scattering, resonant ultrasound spectroscopy (see RUSCal github), Mössbauer spectroscopy and nuclear resonance scattering.
Materials classes and phenomena of interests: thermoelectric materials, lattice dynamics and atomic tunneling, thermal transport, electronic and magnetic relaxation phenomena, phase change materials, magnetocalorics, electrode materials for batteries and catalysis.
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar, The University of Tennessee, 2004-2005.
- PhD, Solid State Physics, University of Liège, Belgium, 2004.
- Secondary Education Teacher’s Degree, University of Liège, Belgium, 1999.
- MA, Philosophy, University of Liège, Belgium, 1998.
- MSc, Physics, University of Liège, Belgium, 1995.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Senior Researcher, 2015-present.
- Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, Staff Scientist, 2014-2015.
- University of Liège, Belgium, Visiting Professor, 2009-2015.
- Forschunszentrum Jülich, Germany, Helmholtz Young Investigator Group Leader (Early Career Award), 2008-2014.
- Forschunszentrum Jülich, Germany, Visiting Scientist, 2006-2008.
- Large scale facility proposal reviewing: ILL subcommittee 7 (2010-2014), DESY PRP-3 (2010-2017), ESRF HS&C05 (2011-2013), APS Inelastic scattering (2016-).
- Workshop organization W.-E. Heraeus Seminars #451 “Nanostructured Thermoelectric Materials”(2010) , #498 “Progress in Nuclear Resonance Scattering: from Methods to Materials” (2012), #529 “Thermal transport at the nanoscale” (2013).
- Chairman “Neutrons for Global Energy Solutions”, International conference jointly organized by SNS ORNL, ISIS, and JCNS (2010)
- Workshop “Sapphire Ultraoptics for Synchrotron Radiation”, Moscow, May 2014
- Workshop “37emes journées du Groupe Francophone de Spectroscopie Mössbauer”, Jülich, May 2015.
- Member, American Physical Society, Materials Research Society, Acoustical Society of America.
- Referee for: American Mineralogist, Chemistry of Materials, Journal of Electron Spectroscopy, Journal of Applied Physics, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Journal of Materials Research, Hyperfine Interactions, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Nature, Physica B, Physical Chemistry-Chemical Physics, Physical Review B, Physical Review Letters, Europhysics Letters, Solar Energy, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Phys. Status Solidi B, Inorganic Chemistry, RSC Advances.
- US representative to the International Board for the Applications of Mossbauer Spectroscopy (IBAME), 2018-
- Member of the American Physical Society, Materials Research Society, and American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Full member of the Acoustical Society of America and technical program organizer for Physical Acoustics.
Support and Grants:
- BES FWP “Neutron Scattering Studies of Hybrid Excitations” PI, 2018-present.
- EE-3H ElectroCat 2.0 - subtask 5 - Characterization, co-PI.
- WPTO "Autonomous thermoelectric low-power source for marine environments", seedling, PI, 2021-2022.
- ORNL LDED "In situ ultrasound spectroscopy for neutron scattering", PI, 2019-2021.
- BES FWP "Impact of Dynamic Instabilities and Local Structure on Energy Materials" Co-PI, 2015–2018.
- Helmholtz Association of German Research Center, "Lattice dynamics in emerging functional materials", early career grant, PI, 2008-2014.
- Graduate level: Master in chemistry, “Large scale facilities for materials characterization”, 3 ECTS, Univ. Liège, 2012-2015; Master in physics and EU - FAME, “Magnetism and nanomagnetism”, 3 ECTS, Univ. Liège, 2009-2012.
- Post-graduate level: “Systemic intervention for social workers” post graduate degree: “System Theory” and “Systems and Crisis” lectures, CPSE, Robermont, 1999-2003.
- Lecturer in IFF Spring Schools and JCNS Neutron Scattering Schools, Jülich, 2008-2013.
- Thesis advisor for 8 Ph. D. students, advisor for 7 postdoctoral fellows.
“Prix des Amis de l'Université de Liège 2007” for research on the guest dynamics in filled clathrates.