John A Turner
John A Turner
Group Leader, Distinguished R&D Staff Member
John Turner is Group Leader of the Computational Engineering & Energy Sciences Group (CEES) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), ORNL lead for the High Performance Computing for Manufacturing (HPC4Mfg) program, Principal Investigator for the Consortium for Advanced Battery Simulation (CABS) and the Exascale Additive Manufacturing (ExaAM) project. He is also a Joint Faculty Professor in both the Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Graduate Education at the Univ. of Tennessee in Knoxville and the National Center for Computational Engineering at the Univ. of Tennessee in Chattanooga.
From 2010 through 2016 Dr. Turner served on the leadership team for the Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light Water Reactors (CASL), first as a core member of the proposal team, then as the Virtual Reactor (and later Physics) Integration Focus Area Lead and finally as Chief Computational Scientist.
After completion of a Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering from North Carolina State University, Dr. Turner joined Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) and worked in radiation transport, fluid flow, and numerical methods. He was one of the original developers of the Truchas computer code, developed as part of the NNSA/ASC program for metal casting and welding simulation, and now being applied to metal additive manufacturing.
In 1997 John left LANL to join Blue Sky Studios, a computer animation company outside New York City, earning credits on the Academy Award-nominated feature film “Ice Age” as well as the Oscar-winning short animated film “Bunny”.
In 2001 Dr. Turner returned to LANL and became Group Leader of the Computational Physics Group (CCS-2), a group of over 70 Ph.D. scientists, students, and other staff conducting research in modeling & simulation of physical phenomena for applications ranging from ocean & climate to nuclear weapons and nuclear energy systems. He led an internally-funded R&D effort to investigate hybrid computing architectures such as video cards (GPUs) as high-performance co-processors, and subsequently led the Advanced Algorithms & Applications team for the Roadrunner supercomputer. Roadrunner augmented standard processors with enhanced versions of the processor used in PlayStation 3 game consoles, and was the first system to achieve a sustained performance exceeding 1 PetaFlop/s (1015 operations per second).
In 2008 John moved to ORNL to form CEES, a new group focused on developing and applying advanced simulation tools to applications such as nuclear energy and electrical energy storage.
 Launched by the DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) Advanced Manufacturing Office (AMO), HPC4Mfg (http://hpc4mfg.llnl.gov) applies HPC expertise and capabilities to industry challenges to optimize processes and reduce energy consumption.
 CABS is a joint project between ORNL, SNL, ANL, and LBNL and is part of the Computer Aided Engineering for Batteries (CAEBAT) program in the Vehicle Technologies office of EERE.
 CASL (http://www.casl.gov) is a DOE Innovation Hub that brings together national laboratories, universities, and industry to apply advanced modeling and simulation to challenges in nuclear energy.
2015 – UT-Battelle Significant Event Award for the release of the Virtual Integrated Battery Environment (VIBE)
2014 – International Data Corporation (IDC) High-Performance Computing (HPC) Innovation Excellence Award for core physics simulations of the Westinghouse AP1000® PWR startup core using CASL’s Virtual Environment for Reactor Application (VERA)
2013 – UT-Battelle Significant Event Award for Deployment of the first "Computational Test Stand" for the Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light-Water Reactors (CASL), the ORNL-led DOE Innovation Hub on Modeling and Simulation for Nuclear Energy
2012 – UT-Battelle Significant Event Award for the release of version 2.0 of the CASL Virtual Environment for Reactor Applications (VERA) software
2011 – UT-Battelle Recognition for exceptional mentoring of Research Alliance in Math and Science summer student
2011 – UT-Battelle Significant Event Award for support to the US Department of Energy in response to the damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear reactors
2010 – UT-Battelle Legacy Achievement Award for successfully capturing the Department of Energy’s first Energy Innovation Hub
2008 - Los Alamos National Laboratory Distinguished Performance Award recipient as member of Roadrunner Team
2007 - Los Alamos Awards Program (LAAP) recipient for Roadrunner Advanced Algorithms Assessment Team achievements
2007 - Los Alamos Awards Program (LAAP) recipient for FY07 Entrepreneurial activities
2007 - Los Alamos Awards Program (LAAP) recipient for leadership
1989 - Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
1983 - Institute of Nuclear Power Operations scholarship recipient
1982 - Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Fraternity
- S. Kalnaus, Y. Wang, J. Li, A. Kumar, and J. A. Turner, “Temperature and strain rate dependent behavior of polymer separator for Li-ion batteries,” Extreme Mechanics Letters, vol. 20, pp. 73–80, Apr. 2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eml.2018.01.006.
- S. Kalnaus, A. Kumar, Y. Wang, J. Li, S. Simunovic, J. A. Turner, and P. Gorney, “Strain distribution and failure mode of polymer separators for Li-ion batteries under biaxial loading,” J. Power Sources, vol. 378, pp. 139–145, Feb. 2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2017.12.029.
- J. A. Turner, S. Allu, S. Kalnaus, S. Simunovic, H. Wang, “Coupled Multiscale Modeling of Batteries with AMPERES,” Gordon Research Conference on Batteries: The Opportunity in the Invisible: Integrating Theory, Synthesis, Characterization and System Validation for the Battery of Tomorrow, Ventura, CA, Feb, 2018. https://www.grc.org/batteries-conference/2018/.
H. Wang, T. R. Watkins, S. Simunovic, P. R. Bingham, S. Allu, and J. A. Turner, “Fragmentation of copper current collectors in Li-ion batteries during spherical indentation,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 364, pp. 432–436, Oct. 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2017.08.068.
N. Raghavan, S. S. Babu, R. Dehoff, S. Pannala, S. Simunovic, M. Kirka, J. Turner, and N. Carlson, “Corrigendum to ‘Numerical modeling of heat-transfer and the influence of process parameters on tailoring the grain morphology of IN718 in electron beam additive manufacturing’ [Acta Mater. 112C (2016) 303–314],” Acta Materialia, Sep. 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2017.08.067.
N. Raghavan, S. Simunovic, R. Dehoff, A. Plotkowski, J. Turner, M. Kirka, and S. Babu, “Localized Melt-Scan Strategy for Site Specific Control of Grain Size and Primary Dendrite Arm Spacing in Electron Beam Additive Manufacturing,” Acta Materialia, vol. 140, pp. 375–387, Aug. 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2017.08.038.
- J. A. Turner, “Goals of the Exascale Additive Manufacturing Project (ExaAM),” Gordon Research Conference on Physical Metallurgy: Frontiers of Quantification and Predictive Capability, Biddeford, ME, July, 2017. https://www.grc.org/physical-metallurgy-conference/2017/.
S. Kalnaus, Y. Wang, and J. A. Turner, “Mechanical behavior and failure mechanisms of Li-ion battery separators,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 348, pp. 255–263, Apr. 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2017.03.003.
H. Wang, A. Kumar, S. Simunovic, S. Allu, S. Kalnaus, J. A. Turner, J. C. Helmers, E. T. Rules, C. S. Winchester, and P. Gorney, “Progressive mechanical indentation of large-format Li-ion cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 341, pp. 156–164, Feb. 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.11.094.
T. DebRoy, W. Zhang, J. Turner, and S. S. Babu, “Building digital twins of 3D printing machines,” Scripta Materialia, Dec. 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2016.12.005.
U.S. National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Board on International Scientific Organizations, Policy and Global Affairs, and National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Predictive Theoretical and Computational Approaches for Additive Manufacturing: Proceedings of a Workshop. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/10.17226/23646.
J. A. Turner, K. Clarno, M. Sieger, R. Bartlett, B. Collins, R. Pawlowski, R. Schmidt, and R. Summers, “The virtual environment for reactor applications (VERA): Design and Architecture,” Journal of Computational Physics, Sep. 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2016.09.003.
S. Allu, S. Kalnaus, S. Simunovic, J. Nanda, J. A. Turner, and S. Pannala, “A three-dimensional meso-macroscopic model for Li-Ion intercalation batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 325, pp. 42–50, Sep. 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.06.001.
S. Allu, S. Kalnaus, A. Kumar, S. Pannala, S. Simunovic, H. Wang, and J. A. Turner, “A Computational Analysis of Battery Response during Onset of Internal Short Under Mechanical Abuse Conditions,” vol. MA2016-02, no. 6, pp. 891–891, Sep. 2016. http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2016-02/6/891.
A. Kumar, S. Kalnaus, S. Simunovic, S. Gorti, S. Allu, and J. A. Turner, “Communication—Indentation of Li-Ion Pouch Cell: Effect of Material Homogenization on Prediction of Internal Short Circuit,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 163, no. 10, pp. A2494–A2496, Sep. 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1149/2.0151613jes.
S. Kalnaus, A. Kumar, D. T. Lebrun-Grandie, S. Simunovic, S. R. Slattery, J. A. Turner, H. Wang, S. Allu, S. B. Gorti, and B. R. Turcksin, “Crashworthiness Models for Automotive Batteries - Report on Project 2088-A031-15 for DOT/NHTSA,” Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL/TM--2016/435, 1337031, Jul. 2016. http://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1337031/.
- N. Raghavan, R. Dehoff, S. Pannala, S. Simunovic, M. Kirka, J. Turner, N. Carlson, and S. S. Babu, “Numerical modeling of heat-transfer and the influence of process parameters on tailoring the grain morphology of IN718 in electron beam additive manufacturing,” Acta Materialia, vol. 112, pp. 303–314, Jun. 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2016.03.063.
- J. A. Turner, Ed., Progress in Modeling and Simulation of Batteries, vol. PT-176. SAE International, Jun. 2016. http://books.sae.org/pt-176/.
- J. A. Turner, “Mechanistic Simulation of Short-Circuits and Thermal Runaway Due to Mechanical Abuse,” Gordon Research Conference on Batteries: Fundamental Tools for Designing the Next Generation of Electrochemical Energy Storage, Ventura, CA, Feb, 2016. https://www.grc.org/batteries-conference/2016/.
- J. Turner, “Modeling and Simulation for Additive Manufacturing,” Natl. Acad. of Engineering, Workshop on Predictive Theoretical and Computational Approaches for Additive Manufacturing, Washington, D.C., Oct, 2015. http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/biso/IUTAM/PGA_168737.
- “Advanced Simulation for Additive Manufacturing: Meeting Challenges Through Collaboration (Workshop Report for U.S. DOE/EERE/AMO),” J. Turner, C. Blue, S. Babu, ORNL Report TM-2015/324, Sep, 2015. http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publications/files/Pub56487.pdf.
- “Multiscale modeling and characterization for performance and safety of lithium-ion batteries,” S. Pannala, J. A. Turner, S. Allu, W. Elwasif, S. Kalnaus, S. Simunovic, A. Kumar, J. J. Billings, H. Wang, and J. Nanda, J. Applied Physics 118, 072017, Aug, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4927817.
- “Accelerated Application Development: The ORNL Titan Experience,” W. Joubert, R. Archibald, M. Berrill, W. M. Brown, M. Eisenbach, R. Grout, J. Larkin, J. Levesque, B. Messer, M. Norman, B. Philip, R. Sankaran, A. Tharrington, J. Turner, Computers and Electrical Engineering, special issue on Optimization of Parallel Scientific Applications with Accelerated HPC, Aug, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2015.04.008.
- “Safer Batteries Through Coupled Multiscale Modeling,” J. A. Turner, S. Allu, M. Berrill, W. Elwasif, S. Kalnaus, A. Kumar, D. Lebrun-Grandie, S. Pannala, S. Simunovic, Procedia Computer Science (51) 2015, pp. 1168-1177. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.05.286.
- “Three-dimensional discrete ordinates reactor assembly calculations on GPUs,” T. M. Evans, W. Joubert, S. P. Hamilton, S. R. Johnson, J. A. Turner, G. G. Davidson, and T. M. Pandya, Joint Intl. Conf. on Mathematics and Computation (M&C), Supercomputing in Nuclear Applications (SNA), and the Monte Carlo (MC) Method, Apr, 2015.
- “Design of a High-Fidelity Core Simulator for Analysis of Pellet-Clad Interaction,” R. P. Pawlowski, K. T. Clarno, R. O. Montgomery, R. Salko, T. M. Evans, J. A. Turner, and D. Gaston, Joint Intl. Conf. on Mathematics and Computation (M&C), Supercomputing in Nuclear Applications (SNA), and the Monte Carlo (MC) Method, Apr, 2015.
- “High-Fidelity Modeling of Pellet-Clad Interaction Using the CASL Virtual Environment for Reactor Applications,” K. T. Clarno, R. P. Pawlowski, R. O. Montgomery, T. M. Evans, B. S. Collins, B. Kochunas, D. Gaston, and J. A. Turner, Joint Intl. Conf. on Mathematics and Computation (M&C), Supercomputing in Nuclear Applications (SNA), and the Monte Carlo (MC) Method, Apr, 2015.
- “AP1000 PWR Startup Core Modeling and Simulation with VERA-CS,” F. Franceschini, A.T. Godfrey, S. Stimpson, T. Evans, B. Collins, J.C. Gehin, J.A. Turner, A. Graham, T. Downar, Advances in Nuclear Fuel Management V (ANFM 2015), Mar, 2015.
- M. A. Martin, C-F Chen, P. P. Mukherjee, S. Pannala, J-F Zietiker, J. A. Turner, and D. Ranjan, “Morphological Influence in Lithium-Ion Battery 3D Electrode Architectures,” J. Electrochem. Soc. Mar, 2015 162(6): A991-A1002. http://dx.doi.org/10.1149/2.0631506jes.
- “Crash Models for Automotive Batteries (DOT/NHTSA Project Report),” J. A. Turner, S. Allu, S. B. Gorti, S. Kalnaus, A. Kumar, D. T. Lebrun-Grandie, S. Pannala, S. Simunovic, S. R. Slattery, H. Wang, ORNL Report TM-2015/366, Feb, 2015.
- “An Approach for Coupled-Code Multiphysics Core Simulations from a Common Input,” R. Schmidt, K. Belcourt, R. Hooper, R. Pawlowski, K. Clarno, S. Simunovic, S. Slattery, J. Turner, S. Palmtag, Annals of Nuclear Energy, Dec, 2014, ISSN 0306-4549, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2014.11.015.
- “A Generalized 3D Multiphysics Model for Li-Ion Intercalation Batteries,” S. Allu, S. Pannala, J. Nanda, S. Simunovic, J. Turner, ECS Meeting, Oct, 2014. http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2014-02/1/34.abstract.
- “Mesoscale Models for Mechanics of Active Materials in Li-Ion Batteries,” S. Simunovic, A. Stershic, S. Kalnaus, S. Allu, S. Pannala, J. Turner, ECS Meeting, Oct, 2014. http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2014-02/1/38.abstract.
- “Coupled Neutronics and Thermal-Hydraulic Solution of a Full-Core PWR Using VERA-CS,” S. Palmtag, K. Clarno, G. Davidson, T. Evans, R. Salko, J. Turner, K. Belcourt, R. Hooper, R. Schmidt, PHYSOR 2014, Sept, 2014.
- J. A. Turner, “3D Predictive Simulation of Battery Systems,” Gordon Research Conference on Batteries: Advances in Characterization, Analysis, Theory and Modeling of Basic Processes, Ventura, CA, Mar, 2014. https://www.grc.org/batteries-conference/2014/.
- “A new open computational framework for highly-resolved coupled 3D multiphysics simulations of Li-Ion Cells,” S. Allu, S. Kalnaus, W. Elwasif, S. Simunovic, J. A. Turner, S. Pannala, J. Power Sources, Vol 246, Jan, 2014, p. 876-886, ISSN 0378-7753, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.08.040.
- “High-Fidelity Neutronic Analysis of the Westinghouse AP1000,” T. Evans, F. Franceschini, A. Godfrey, S. Hamilton, W. Joubert, J. Turner, Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light-Water Reactors (CASL) Report CASL-U-2013-0231-0000, Dec, 2013.
- “Coupled COBRA-TF/MAMBA2D Multiphysics Models for Seabrook 1 Cycle 5 Assembly G70 5x5 rod array,” J. Secker, R. Schmidt, N. Belcourt, R. Hooper, R. Sankaran, J. A. Turner, Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light-Water Reactors (CASL) Report CASL-I-2013-0191-0000, Sep, 2013.
- "Virtual Environment for Reactor Applications (VERA): Snapshot 3.1," J. A. Turner, Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light-Water Reactors (CASL) Report CASL-U-2013-0164-000, Jul, 2013. http://www.casl.gov/docs/CASL-U-2013-0164-000.pdf.
- “Revolutionary Radiation Transport for Next-Generation Predictive Multi-Physics Modeling and Simulation,” J. C. Wagner, T. M. Evans, S. W. Mosher, D. E. Peplow, J. A. Turner, ORNL Report 41138, 2013.
- “Improvements, Enhancements, and Optimization of COBRA-TF,” R. Salko, M. Avramova, R. Hooper, S. Palmtag, E. Popov, J. Turner, Intl. Conf. on Mathematics and Computational Methods Applied to Nuclear Sci. and Engineering, May 5-9, 2013.
- "Virtual Environment for Reactor Applications (VERA): Snapshot 2.0," J. A. Turner, Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light-Water Reactors (CASL) Milestone L1:5.01, Jun, 2012.
- “Electrochemical and Transport Behavior of Lithium Ion Battery 3-D Electrode Architectures,” M. Martin, P. Mukherjee, S. Pannala, S. Allu, D. Ranjan, J. Turner, ECS Meeting, Seattle, May, 2012. http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2012-01/27/1050.abstract.
- J. A. Turner, “A Multi-Scale Modeling Framework for Li-Ion Batteries,” Gordon Research Conference on Batteries: Advanced Characterization, Theory and Mechanisms of Processes in Rechargeable Batteries Across Length Scales, Ventura, CA, Mar, 2012. https://www.grc.org/batteries-conference/2012/.
- “Hierarchical Models for Batteries: Overview with Some Case Studies,” S. Pannala, P. Mukherjee, S. Allu, J. Nanda, S. Martha, N. Dudney, J. Turner, Advanced Automotive Battery Conference, Orlando, FL, Feb, 2012.
- “A micro-macroscopic volume-averaged model for batteries,” S. Pannala, S. Allu, P. Mukherjee, J. Nanda, N. Dudney, S. Martha, and J. Turner, Electronic Materials and Applications 2012, American Ceramic Society, Orlando, Jan, 2012.
- “Modeling and Simulation of Battery Systems,” P. Mukherjee, S. Pannala, and J. Turner, chapter in Handbook of Battery Materials, Editors C. Daniel and J. O. Weinheim, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9783527637188.
- Wagner, J.C., T.M. Evans, S.W. Mosher, D.E. Peplow, and J.A. Turner, “Hybrid and Parallel Domain-Decomposition Methods Development to Enable Monte Carlo for Reactor Analyses,” Prog. Nucl. Sci. Tech. 2, 815-820 (2011).
- “A Multi-scale Modeling Framework for Li-Ion Batteries,” J. Turner, P. Mukherjee, S. Pannala, and S. Allu, 7th Annual Intl. Conf. on Lithium Battery Power (invited), Las Vegas, NV, Nov, 2011.
- “Predictive System Simulation Capability for Evaluating Safety and Performance of Batteries,” S. Pannala, J. Nanda, A. Sabau, H. Bilheux, P. Mukherjee, S. Allu, C. Shaffer, S. Voisin, J. Turner, W. Shelton Jr., N. Dudney, ORNL Report 32620, Oct, 2011.
- “Particle Morphology and Interactions in the Lithium Ion Battery Electrode,” S. Pannala P. Mukherjee, S. Allu, J. Nanda, N. Dudney, and J. Turner, ECS Meeting, Boston, MA, Oct, 2011, http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2011-02/15/730.abstract.
- “Domain Model Specification for VERA: Version 1.0,” C. Baker, R. Bartlett, K. Clarno, B. Collins, T. Evans, R. Pawlowski, R. Schmidt, J. Turner, Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light-Water Reactors (CASL) Report CASL-U-2011-0169-0000, Sep, 2011.
- “A Micro‐mesoscopic Model for Li‐Ion Intercalation Batteries,” S. Pannala, P. Mukherjee, S. Allu, J. Nanda, S. Martha, N. Dudney, and J. Turner, ECS Meeting, Montreal, Canada, May, 2011. http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2011-01/10/509.abstract.
- “Initial Validation of the AMP Nuclear Fuel Performance Code,” S. Allu, J. Banfield, P. Barai; J. Billings, K. T. Clarno, W. K. Cochran, G. A. Dilts, S. Kadioglu, J. Lee, G. I. Maldonado, R. Martineau, B. Mihaila, L. Ott, S. Pannala, B. Philip, R. Sampath, S. Simunovic, J. A. Turner, C. Unal, G. Yesilyurt, ANS winter meeting, 2010.
- Wagner, J. C., T. M. Evans, S. W. Mosher, D. E. Peplow, and J. A. Turner, “Hybrid and Parallel Domain-Decomposition Methods Development to Enable Monte Carlo for Reactor Analyses.” Joint Intl. Conf. on Supercomputing in Nuclear Applications + Monte Carlo 2010, Tokyo, Oct, 2010.
- P. Mukherjee, S. Pannala, S. Allu, J. Nanda, and J. Turner, “Solid-Phase Diffusion Modeling in Lithium Ion Batteries”, ECS Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, USA, Oct, 2010. http://ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2010-02/11/1129.abstract.
- Clarno, K. T., T. M. Evans, G. Yesilyurt, M. L. Williams, J. A. Turner, “Denovo: The Next-Generation HPC Solver for Multiscale Nuclear Energy Transport,” ORNL Report 21950, 2009.
- Alvin, K., N. Frazier, R. Meisner, “Advanced Simulation and Computing National Code Strategy: Simulation-Based Complex Transformation,” Advanced Simulation and Computing Program, NA-121.2, SAND 2009-0604P, NA-ASC-108R-09-Vol. 1-Rev.0, Jan, 2009, member of writing team. https://nnsa.energy.gov/sites/default/files/nnsa/inlinefiles/ASC-Code-Strategy.pdf.
- J. Turner and A. White, “Los Alamos National Lab and IBM Bring Computing into the Petascale Era,” SIAM News, vol. 41, no. 6, Aug. 2008. https://www.siam.org/pdf/news/1401.pdf.
- Turner, J., “The Los Alamos Roadrunner Petascale Hybrid Supercomputer: Overview of Applications, Results, and Programming,” Roadrunner Technical Seminar Series, LA-UR-08-2412, Mar, 2008.
- J. A. Turner and A. C. Mazzone, “Multifluid Finite Volume Navier-Stokes Solutions for Realistic Fluid Animation,” ACM SIGGRAPH, 1999.
- W. J. Rider, D. B. Kothe, S. Mosso, R. Lowrie, T. Adams, D. A. Knoll, R. L. Ferrell, J. A. Turner, A. V. Reddy, K. A. Lam, E. G. Puckett, G. H. Miller, C. Beckermann, “Advanced Three-Dimensional Eulerian Hydrodynamic Algorithm Development”, Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-UR-98-1859, 1998. http://lib-www.lanl.gov/la-pubs/00418599.pdf.
- D. B. Kothe, R. C. Ferrell, J. A. Turner, and S. J. Mosso, “A High-Resolution Finite Volume Method for Efficient Parallel Simulation of Casting Processes on Unstructured Meshes”, LANL Report LA-UR-97-30, 8th SIAM Conf. on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, Minneapolis, MN, 1997.
- W. A. Ranken and J. A. Turner, “Design studies of the moderated thermionic heat pipe reactor (MOHTR) concept,” presented at the IECEC ’91; Proceedings of the 26th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, Volume 1, 1991, vol. 1, pp. 425–430. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1991iece....1..425R.