Chanaka Kumara is a R&D Associate Staff Scientist in the Material Science and Technology Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN. He earns his PhD at University of Mississippi in Analytical Chemistry. His work includes Nanomaterial synthesis (metallic, ceramic and carbon nanotubes), Surface modification, Chemical Vapor Deposition, Tribology, Focused ion beam sample preparation and electron microscopy characterization. He has published 32+ peer reviewed journal papers and one book chapter and has several U.S. patent applications. Publication records: Citations: 1844+, h index: 21
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, University of Mississippi, MS, USA 2016.
- M.Sc. in Chemical Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka 2009.
- B.Sc. Specialized in Chemistry, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka,2005.
Award and Honors
- STLE Early Career Award for outstanding contribution to the field of Lubrication Science, 2020.
- R&D 100 Award Finalist, ORNL, R&D Magazine, 2022, A superlubricity coating composed of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes.
- R&D 100 Award Finalist, ORNL and Danfoss, R&D Magazine, 2020, A high-efficiency carbon nanotube-coated mesh seal.
Patents and Patent Applications
- Metal Nanoparticles as Lubricant Additives, C. Kumara, J. Qu, US Patent 11,370,988.
- A Super-lubricity Coating Composed of Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotubes, C. Kumara, J. Qu, P.A. Menchhofer, US Patent Application 62/931,246, November 6, 2019.
- Temperature sensitive coatings, U.S. Patent Application No.18/119,373, March 9,2023.
- A High-Efficiency Seal Composed of Carbon Nanotubes, US Provisional Patent Application 63/284,753, Dec. 2, 2021.
- CNT coating as a novel thermal interface materials, U.S. Provisional Patent Application 63/432,435, Dec.14, 2022.
- American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers (STLE).
- Guest Editor : Lubricants special issue “Advanced Lubrication for Energy Efficiency II”,2021.
- Guest Editor : Lubricants special issue “Advances in Novel Lubricant Additives”, 2022.
- Serving as a Peer reviewer for ACS, RSC, and Tribology journals: ACS Applied Nano Materials, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Tribology international, Wear, RSC Advances, Lubricants etc.