Alexei P Sokolov
ORNL/UT Governor's Chair, Professor of Chemistry and Physics, Chemical Sciences Division
Alexei Sokolov received an MS in Physics in 1981 from the Novosibirsk State University (Russia), and a PhD in Physics in 1986 from the Russian Academy of Sciences. He worked several years in Germany before joining faculty at the University of Akron, USA, in 1998. In 2009 he accepted Governor’s Chair position at the University of Tennessee and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, where he leads the Soft Materials and Membranes group.
He is a Fellow of the American Physical Society and of the American Association for the Advancement in Science, and a Member of the National Academy of Inventors. His current research interest focuses primarily on Dynamics of Soft Materials, including topics of the glass transition, polymer dynamics and dynamics of biological macromolecules, composite materials and materials for clean energy technologies.
He is an author of more than 350 papers.
- Novosibirsk State University, Russia, M.S. 1981 Physics
- Russian Acad. Sciences, Novosibirsk Ph.D. 1986 Physics
- Russian Acad. Sciences, Novosibirsk Dr. Sci. (Habilitation) 1993 Physics
Research and Professional Experience
- 2009-present ORNL/The University of Tennessee, TN, USA Governor’s Chair
2019- Adj. Professor, Georgia Tech., Atlanta
2005-2009 The University of Akron, OH, USA T.A. Knowles Professor
2004-2005 The University of Akron, OH, USA Professor
- 2002-2004 The University of Akron, OH, USA Assoc. Professor
- 1998-2001 The University of Akron, OH, USA Asst. Professor
- 1997-1998 IFF Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany Senior Scientist
- 1994-1996 Max-Planck Fellowship, MPIP Mainz, Germany MPI Fellow
- 1991-1993 Humboldt Fellowship, FU Berlin, Germany Humboldt Fellow
- 1981-1991 Institute of Automation & Electrometry - Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk Researcher, Senior Scientist