Interim Director, Materials Science and Technology Division
- Interim Director, Materials Science and Technology Division
- Section Head, Materials in Extremes
- Program Manager, ORNL Fusion Materials
- PhD & MS, Materials Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
- BS, Metallurgy and Materials Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
- Group Leader, Advanced Nuclear Materials (2018-2020); Fusion Materials and Nuclear Structures (2014-2016)
- Research Staff Member, Materials Science and Technology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, USA (2003 – present).
- Joint Appointment Professor, Department of Nuclear Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2016 - present).
- Associate Professor, Institute of Advanced Energy and Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan (1996 – 2003).
- Assistant Professor, Research Operations Division, National Institute for Fusion Science, Toki, Japan (1995 – 1996).
- Development and characterization of ceramics, graphite, composites and other advanced materials for high temperature and severe environment applications.
- Effects of neutron and high energy particle irradiation in metals, alloys and ceramics, with emphases on irradiation effects on properties and microstructures of silicon carbide and influences of helium on irradiation effects in metals and ceramics.
- Development and qualification of emerging materials for nuclear energy.
Major Professional Activities:
- Chair, IEA Fusion Materials Agreement Working Group on SiC/SiC Ceramic Composites for Fusion Energy Applications (2003-present).
- Chair, ASTM International Subcommittee C28.07 on Ceramic Matrix Composites (2006-2015).
- Member, ASME Codes and Standards Committee, Subgroup on Non-metallic Design (SC III).
- Member, The American Ceramic Society, American Nuclear Society, ASTM International, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS), Fusion Power Associates
- Hold 16 patents and additional patent pending.
UT-Battelle Distinguished Researcher, 2019.
Mishima Award, the American Nuclear Society, 2019.
Fellow, the American Nuclear Society, 2015.
Fellow, the American Ceramic Society, 2013.
Fusion Power Associates Board of Directors' Excellence in Fusion Engineering Award, 2006.