Dr. Weiju Ren’s research and development (R&D) interests cover high temperature materials, mechanical behavior and analysis, materials informatics, verification and validation (V&V) of advanced modeling and simulation, and integrated computational materials engineering. He currently serves as Manager of Operations for Department of Energy’s (DOE) Gen IV Materials Handbook Project to develop materials database system and coordinate international collaboration in materials for the Very High Temperature Reactor (VHTR) development, which includes former and present member countries of Australia, Canada, China, the European Union, France, Japan, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland, and the United States. He is a fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and leads the development of the ASME Materials Properties Database system to support ASME codes and standards. In R&D for V&V of computational modeling and simulation, he currently leads the technical development of the Nuclear Energy - Knowledgebase for Advance Modeling and Simulation (NE-KAMS). He is also a member of the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) E08 for fatigue and fracture and E28 for mechanical testing; the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC) WG Materials Database, Section II SG Nonferrous Alloys, Section II TG Data Analysis, and Section III WG Allowable Stress Criteria; and the American Society of Metals (ASM International).
- Ph.D., 1995, The University of Tennessee, Metallurgy Major, Materials Science and Engineering; Dissertation title: “Time-Dependent Fracture Mechanics Characterization of Haynes HR160 Superalloy.”
- M.Sc., 1986, Tianjin University, Welding Major, Mechanical Engineering; Thesis title: “Development of Computerized Welding Experimental Simulation System.”
- B.Sc., 1983, Tsinghua University, Mechanical Engineering; Graduation design project report title: “Development of Wire Feeding Control System for Automatic TIG Arc Welding.”
- Committee E08 (Fatigue and Fracture), member
- Committee E28 (Mechanical Testing), member
- ASME BPVC – WG Materials Database, founder and contributing member
- ASME BPVC – II (Materials) SG Nonferrous Alloys, member
- ASME BPVC – III (Nuclear) WG Allowable Stress Criteria, member
- Pressure Vessel and Piping Division Materials & Fabrication Committee, member
“Liquid Salt Environment Stress-Rupture Testing,” Application Number: 14/277,274; Patent Publication Number: US2015/0330883 A1; Publication Date: Nov. 19, 2015; Filing Date: May 14, 2014; Patent number: US9,291,537 B2; Date of Patent: March 22, 2016; Assignee: UT-Battelle, LLC; Inventor: Weiju Ren, David E. Holcomb, Govindarjan Muralidharan, Dane F. Wilson.
“Filled Friction Stir Welding Technology for Joining Oxide-Dispersion-Strengthened Alloys,” Patent pending, ORNL Technology Transfer and Economic Development Office, ORNL invention disclosure No. 2042, Weiju Ren.