Geospatial Software Engineer
Ph.D. Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, University of Burgundy, France, (2008)
M.S. Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, University of Burgundy, France, (2004)
B.S. Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Burgundy, France, (2002)
2015 to present: Geospacial Software Engineer, Geographic Information Science & Technology group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
2014 to 2015: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Geographic Information Science & Technology group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
2012 to 2014: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Biomedical Science & Engineering Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
2010 to 2012: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Neutron imaging Team at the Spallation Neutron Source, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
2004 to 2009: Research Assistant, Imaging, Robotics, and Intelligent Systems Laboratory, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
Research Experience and Interests
Dr. Sophie Voisin joined the Geographic Information Science and Technology (GIST) group at ORNL in April 2014 as a Postdoctoral Associate. She is currently involved in projects using satellite imagery.
Doing her PhD research, she was a research assistant with the Imaging, Robotics, and Intelligent Systems Laboratory at The University of Tennessee, after her graduation she was involved in program development activities. She first started at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) as Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Spallation Neutron Source. Her work included applied signal and image processing, 2D and 3D image understanding, and neutron imaging analysis for various industrial and academic applications related to quality control and process monitoring. Then, she was part of the ORNL Biomedical Science & Engineering Center. She worked on a project that combine image analysis and eye-tracking data and participate to the development of a clinical decision support system to help reduce medical errors.
Her current research interests focus on 2D and 3D image understanding and processing, machine learning, and high performance computing applied to satellite imagery.
2016 SEA award:
ORNL internal Significant Event Award for significant contribution to development and deployment of software.
2014 R&D 100 Winner:
Title: “iSPM: Intelligent Software Suite for Personalized Modeling of Expert Opinions, Decisions and Errors in Visual Examination Tasks”
Authors: Georgia Tourassi, Sophie Voisin, Songhua Xu, and Hong-Jun Yoon
- Todd J Toops, Hassina Z Bilheux, Sophie Voisin, Jens Gregor, Lakeisha Walker, Andrea Strzelec, Charles EA Finney, Josh A Pihl, “Neutron tomography of particulate filters: a non-destructive investigation tool for applied and industrial research”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 729, pp. 581-588, November 2013.
- Sophie Voisin, Frank Pinto, Garneta Morin-Ducote, Kathleen B. Hudson, Georgia D. Tourassi, “Predicting diagnostic error in radiology via eye-tracking and image analytics: Preliminary investigation in mammography” Medical physics 40 (10), 101906, October 2013.
- E Kirchoff, KD Kihm, J Rosenfeld, S Rawal, H Bilheux, L Walker, S Voisin, D Pratt, A Swanson, “Neutron Tomography of Lithium (Li) Menisci Inside a Molybdenum (Mo) Heat Pipe”, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 135, No 8, pp.080902, August 2013.
- Georgia Tourassi, Sophie Voisin, Vincent Paquit, Elizabeth Krupinski, “Investigating the link between radiologists’ gaze, diagnostic decision, and image content”, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, June 2013.
- Ketki Sharma, Hassina Bilheux, Lakeisha Walker, Sophie Voisin, Richard T Mayes, Jim Kiggans, Sotira Yiacoumi, David W DePaoli, Sheng Dai, Costas Tsouris, “Neutron Imaging of Ion Transport in Mesoporous Carbon Materials”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. May 2013.
- Jeffrey M Warren, Hassina Bilheux, Misun Kang, Sophie Voisin, Chu-Lin Cheng, Juske Horita, Edmund Perfect, “Neutron imaging reveals internal plant water dynamics”, Plant and Soil, Vol. 366 No 1-2, pp. 683-693, May 2013.
- M Kang, HZ Bilheux, S Voisin, CL Cheng, E Perfect, J Horita, JM Warren, “Water calibration measurements for neutron radiography: application to water content quantification in porous media”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 708, pp. 24-31, April 2013.
- Chu-lin Cheng, Misun Kang, Edmund Perfect, Sophie Voisin, Juske Horita, Hassina Z. Bilheux, Jeffrey M. Warren, David L. Jacobson, and Dan S. Hussey, “Average Soil Water Retention Curves Measured by Neutron Radiography”, Soil Science Society of America Journal Vol. 76 No. 4, pp. 1184-1191, July 2012.
- Jagjit Nanda, Hassina Z. Bilheux, Sophie Voisin, Gabriel M. Veith, Richard K., Archibald, Lakeisha M.H. Walker, Srikanth Allu, Nancy J. Dudney, and Sreekanth Pannala, “Anomalous Discharge Product Distribution in Lithium-Air Cathodes”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 116 (15), pp 8401-8408, March 2012.
- Sophie Voisin, David L. Page, Sebti Foufou, Frédéric Truchetet and Mongi A. Abidi, “Study of Ambient Light Influence for 3D Scanners Based on Structured Light”, SPIE Optical Engineering Letter, Vol. 46(3), pp. 030502-1 - 030502-3, March 2007.
- David Page, Andreas Koschan, Sophie Voisin, Ngozi Ali, and Mongi Abidi, “CAD Model Generation of Mechanical Parts Using Coded-Pattern Projection and Laser Triangulation Systems”, Assembly Automation, Special Issue on Machine Vision, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 230-238, August 2005