Senior R&D Staff
Ph.D. in Chemical Physics, 1985, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
B.S. in Physical Chemistry, 1977, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
2004-present, Senior Research Staff Member, Materials Science and Technology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1987–2004, Research Staff Member, Solid State Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1985-1987, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Research Experience and Interests
• Real-time surface X-ray diffraction studies of the mechanisms of pulsed laser deposition
• Simultaneous atomic and electronic structure studies of pulsed lased deposition using in situ hard X-ray spectroscopy, surface x-ray diffraction and RHEED
• Dynamics of nanomaterials synthesis on the elementary building block level
• Atomic and electronic structure evolution during black titania core-shell nanoparticle formation
• Bandgap narrowing and electronic structure of TiO2 by cooping characterized by soft x-ray spectroscopy
• Cooperative growth kinetics of single-layer single-crystal graphene and scanning electron microscopy imaging of growth in real-time
• Heteroepitaxial diamond thin film growth by microwave plasma enhanced CVD
• Molecular beam growth of single wall carbon nanotubes
• Deterministic growth of carbon nanofibers by electron beam lithography and plasma enhanced CVD
• Digital epitaxy of group IV semiconductors and alloys by hydrogen coverage control
• Nanofabrication by resistless electron beam lithography and direct epitaxial growth
• Nonequilibrium growth of group IV semiconductor thin films by gas source supersonic molecular beam epitaxy
List of selected publications. For an up to date list check:
1. Z. Wang, Z. Zhong, S. McKeown Walker, Z. Ristic, J.-Z. Ma, F. Y. Bruno, S. Riccò, G. Sangiovanni, G. Eres, N. C. Plumb, L. Patthey, M. Shi, J. Mesot, F. Baumberger and M. Radovic, "Atomically precise lateral modulation of a two-dimensional electron liquid in anatase TiO2 thin films", Nano Lett. 17, 2561 (2017).
2. Gyula Eres, J.Z. Tischler, C.M. Rouleau, H.M. Christen, P. Zschack, and B.C. Larson, "Dynamic Scaling and Island Growth Kinetics in Pulsed Laser Deposition of SrTiO3", Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 206102 (2016).
3. Zhu-Jun Wang, Jichen Dong, Yi Cui, Gyula Eres, Olaf Timpe, Qiang Fu, Feng Ding, R. Schloegl & Marc-Georg Willinger, “Stacking sequence and interlayer coupling in few-layer graphene revealed by in situ imaging”, Nature Comm. 7, 13256 (2016).
4. John Nichols, Xiang Gao, Shinbuhm Lee, Tricia L. Meyer, John W. Freeland, Valeria Lauter, Di Yi, Jian Liu, Daniel Haskel, Jonathan R. Petrie, Er-Jia Guo, Andreas Herklotz, Dongkyu Lee, Thomas Z. Ward, Gyula Eres, Michael R. Fitzsimmons & Ho Nyung Lee, “Emerging magnetism and anomalous Hall effect in iridate–manganite heterostructures”, Nature Comm. 7, 12721 (2016).
5. Mengkun Tian, Masoud Mahjouri-Samani, Gyula Eres, Ritesh Sachan, Mina Yoon, Matthew F. Chisholm, Kai Wang, Alexander A. Puretzky, Christopher M. Rouleau, David B. Geohegan & Gerd Duscher, "Structure and Formation Mechanism of Black TiO2 Nanoparticles", ACS Nano 9, 10482 (2015).
6. C. Parks Cheney, P. Vilmercati, E. W. Martin, M. Chiodi, L. Gavioli, M. Regmi, Gyula Eres, T. A. Callcott, H. H. Weitering, and N. Mannella, "Origins of electronic band gap reduction in Cr/N codoped TiO2", Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 036404 (2014).
7. Gyula Eres, Murari Regmi, Christopher M. Rouleau, Jihua Chen, Ilia N. Ivanov, Alexander A. Puretzky, and David B. Geohegan, "Cooperative Island Growth of Large-Area Single-Crystal Graphene on Copper Using Chemical Vapor Deposition", ACS Nano 8, 5657 (2014).
8. Ivan Vlassiouk, Murari Regmi, Pasquale Fulvio, Sheng Dai, Panos Datskos, Gyula Eres, and Sergei Smirnov, "Role of Hydrogen in Chemical Vapor Deposition Growth of Large Single-Crystal Graphene", ACS Nano 5, 6069 (2011).
9. W. Zhu, X. Qiu, V. Iancu, X. Chen, H. Pan, W. Wang, N. Dimitrijevic, T. Rajh, H. M. Meyer III, M. P. Paranthaman, M. Stocks, H. Weitering, B. Gu, Gyula Eres, and Z. Zhang, "Bandgap narrowing of titanium oxide semiconductors by non-compensated anion-cation codoping for enhanced visible-light photoactivity", Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 226401 (2009).
10. J.Z. Tischler, Gyula Eres, B.C. Larson, C.M. Rouleau, P. Zschack, and D.H. Lowndes, "Nonequilibrium interlayer transport in pulsed-laser deposition", Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 226104 (2006).