Charles Amoo is a graduate research assistant at the University of Tennessee, currently on subcontract at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. He specializes in the assessment of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies through energy modeling. Charles is also skilled in the creation of tools for conducting energy audits, focusing on building energy and water consumption, as well as health and safety considerations in residential structures, with a particular emphasis on low-income households.
In his role at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Charles has made substantial contributions to various research initiatives, including the development of essential resources such as "Getting Started" documents and an Engineering Reference Manual for the Weatherization Assistant suite of audit tools, designed for existing residential homes and multifamily buildings. This suite encompasses critical components such as NEAT, MHEA, MulTEA, and Health and Safety Audit. Furthermore, he led research efforts in the evaluation of methodology for measure allowable lifetimes in the Weatherization Assistant Program (WAP).
Charles is an active member of several prestigious professional organizations, including ASHRAE, AEE, and PMI. He holds a Master of Energy degree from the University of Auckland in New Zealand, and is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Energy Science and Engineering at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Graduate Research Assistant 01/2021 – Current
Bredesen Centre for Interdisciplinary Research & Graduate Education, University of Tennessee | Knoxville (subcontracted to Oak Ridge National Laboratory, TN)
Research Intern 01/2020 – 08/2020
GreenMax Capital Advisors – Consulting Group | New York
Business Development Manager & Energy Engineer 01/2017 – 12/2020
Zanet Energy Solutions | Accra, Ghana
- GATE Fellowship awarded by University of Tennessee (2023/2024) Oak Ridge Innovation Institute (UT-ORII)
- Bredesen Center Fellowship awarded by University of Tennessee
- Ph.D, Energy Science and Engineering, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA (estimated completion date: December 2024)
- Master of Energy, The University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2017
- B.Sc. Petroleum Engineering, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, 2013
- American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Association of Energy Engineers (AEE)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
• Malhotra, Mini, Eckman, Bill and Amoo, Charles (2023). Web-based Weatherization Assistant Getting Started Guide. ORNL Internal Report. https://weatherization.ornl.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Web-Based-WA-Getting-Started-Guideline-05-08-2020.pdf
• Bass, Brett, New, Joshua R., Clinton, Nicholas, Adams, Mark, Copeland, Bill and Amoo, Charles (2022). "How close are urban scale building simulations to measured data? Examining bias derived from building metadata in urban building energy modeling." Journal of Applied Energy, volume 327(1), doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2022.120049, Dec. 1, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2022.120049
• Bass, Brett, New, Joshua, Amoo, Charles, Ezell, Evan and Copeland, William (2021). "Using Measured Building Energy Data to Infer Building Type for Building Energy Modeling." ASHRAE/IBPSA-USA 2022 Building Performance Analysis Conference and SimBuild (BPACS), Chicago, IL, Sept. 14-16, 2022. PPT