Amit K Naskar
Group Leader and Senior R&D Staff
Areas of Research Interest:
- Sustainable materials
- Carbon fibers & carbonaceous materials
- High performance fibers
- Polymers and liquid crystals
- Composites and their interfacial chemistry
- Ceramic and polymer based energy materials and electronic applications
- Rapid prototyping of composite parts
- Polymer recycling
- Porous materials
- Printable composites
- Ph.D., Rubber Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 2003
- Master of Technology, Fiber Science and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India, 1998
- Master of Science, Physical Chemistry, Devi Ahilya University, Indore, India, 1996
- B.Sc., Chemistry (Honors), Calcutta University, Calcutta, India, 1993
- 2015 – Present, Joint Faculty Member, Center for Renewable Carbon, The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, Knoxville, TN.
- 2014 – Present, Joint faculty member, University of Tennessee Knoxville – Oak Ridge National Laboratory Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Graduate Education.
- 2013 – Present, Group Leader, Carbon and Composites Group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
- 2013 – Present, Senior R&D Staff, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
- 2011 – 2013, R&D Staff, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
- 2008 – 2011, R&D Associate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
- 2006 – 2008, Post-Doctoral Fellow, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN .
- 2002 – 2006, Post-Doctoral Researcher, NSF Center for Advanced Engineering Fibers and Films (CAEFF), Clemson University, Clemson, SC.
- 2001 – 2002, Research Assistant, Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, University of Western Ontario, ON, Canada.
- 1998 – 2001, Senior Research Fellow and Doctoral Student, Rubber Technology Centre, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.
- 1997 – 1998, Production Engineer, Microsynth Fabrics (India) Limited, Silvassa, India.
- 1996 – 1997, Graduate Student (M.Tech.), Department of Textile Technology, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), New Delhi, India.
- 1994 – 1996, Graduate Student (M.Sc.), Devi Ahilya University, Indore, India.
- 1994, Production Chemist, Nicholas Piramal Limited, Indore, India.
- 1993 – 1994, Laboratory Chemist, Rama Phosphates Limited, Indore, India.
Other Experience and Professional Memberships:
- 2004 – Present, Member American Carbon Society
- 2003 – Present, Member American Chemical Society, Polymer Division
- 2011 – Present, Member Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE)
Journal Article Reviewer:
- ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
- Acta Materialia
- Bioresource Technology
- Composites Part A
- Composites Science and Technology
- Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy
- Energy & Fuels
- European Polymer Journal
- Green Chemistry
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy
- Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science
- Journal of Materials Chemistry A
- Journal of Materials Science
- Journal of Physical Chemistry
- Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids
- Journal of Plastic Film and Sheeting
- Journal of Polymer and the Environment
- Polymer Bulletin
- Polymer Chemistry
- Polymer Composites
- Polymer Engineering and Science
- Polymers and Polymer Composites
- The Journal of Chemical Physics
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), US Department of Agriculture (USDA) 2015.
- South Carolina NASA EPSCoR Program 2014.
Manuscripts Under Review:
- Akato SK, Meyer HM, Erdman DL, Naskar AK, Modification of ABS engineering plastic for improved cost-performance index (under internal review).
- Sun Q, Khunsupat T, Akato SK, Tao J, Labbé N,* Gallego NC, Bozell JJ, Rials TG, Tuskan GA, Tschaplinski TJ, Naskar AK,* Ragauskas AJ.* Physicochemical Characteristics of Poplar Lignin Carbon Precursors before and after Melt Rheology,
- Tran CD, Keum JK, Chen J, Gallego NC, Naskar AK,*Graphene-Reinforced Porous Renewable Carbon Film for Supercapacitor Applications,
- Bova T, Tran CD, Chen J, Naskar AK,* A New Approach towards Tailoring Interfacial Structures and Properties of Multiphase Renewable Thermoplastics from Lignin–Nitrile Rubber
- Polymer Precursor derived carbon. Editors: Naskar AK, Hoffman WP, Volume 1173, American Chemical Society Symposium Series Publication (2014). [DOI: 10.1021/bk-2014-1173].
- Naskar AK, De PP. Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA) of Rubbers and Rubbery Materials, in “Thermal analysis of rubbers and rubbery materials” De PP, Roy Choudhury N, Dutta NK. (Editors), Rapra Technology, Shrewsbury, UK (2010).
- Naskar AK. Thermal analysis in recycling of rubbery materials, in “Thermal analysis of rubbers and rubbery materials” P P De, N Roy Choudhury and N K Dutta (Editors), Rapra Technology, Shrewsbury, UK (2010).
- Ozcan S, Vautard F, Naskar AK. Designing the Structure of Carbon Fibers for Optimal Mechanical Properties, Naskar AK, Hoffman W (Editors), American Chemical Society Symposium Series, Volume 1173, Chapter 10, pp 215-232 (2014).
- Saha D, Renju Z, Naskar AK. Soft-templated Mesoporous Carbons: Chemistry and Structural Characteristics, Naskar AK, Hoffman W (Editors), American Chemical Society Symposium Series, Volume 1173, Chapter 4, pp 61-83 (2014).
2015 - ORNL Science & Technology Partnerships Award for five successful Technology Transfer (Licenses) to (A) PMC, LLC, (B) TennEra, LLC, (C) Strangpresse, LLC, (D) FWD: Energy, Inc., (E) RJ Lee Group, Inc. 2015 - Journal inside front cover publication, ChemSusChem, Volume 8, Issue 21, Nov. 2015. 2015 - Oak Ridge National Laboratory Significant Event Award on commercialization of tire-derived carbon composite for energy storage applications. 2015 - Who’sWho in America (69th Edition; Marquis). 2014 - Oak Ridge National Laboratory Significant Event Award on successful renewable carbon fiber consortium proposal to Bioenergy Technologies Office of EERE. 2013 - Symposium Co-Organizer, Polymer Precursor-Derived Carbon, Polymer Division of American Chemical Society, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 7-11, 2013. 2013 - Oak Ridge National Laboratory Significant Event Award on successful mass processing of lignin at carbon fiber technology facility. 2012 - Oak Ridge National Laboratory Science & Technology Award for exceptional team R&D engineering accomplishments. 2012 - Journal outer front cover publication, Green Chemistry, Volume 14, Issue 12, Dec. 2012. 2012 - Co-Chair, ANTEC 2012, Orlando, FL. Nanofibers Session (M6) - Engineering Props. & Structure Div. (D26). 2012 - Journal back cover-art publication, Advanced Materials, Volume 24, Issue 18, May 2012. 2010 - Oak Ridge National Laboratory Early Career Award in Engineering Accomplishment. 2004 - Featured presentation at International Carbon Conference (American Carbon Conference), July 11-16, 2004, Providence, RI. 2002 - Journal outer front cover publication, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Volume 84, Issue 3, Feb. 2002. 1998 - First rank in the class of M.Tech. (Fiber Science & Technology), IIT/Delhi. 1997 - Junior Research Fellowship through National Eligibility Test conducted by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research and University Grant Commission of India. 1996 - First rank in the class of M.Sc. (Chemistry). 1996 - National (India) Scholarship for conducting research in M.Tech. Program (Graduate Aptitude Test Examination; All India rank #46 in Chemistry).
Issued Patents: Naskar AK. “Method for Production of Carbon Nanofiber Mat or Carbon Paper” US Patent No. 9,096,959 (2015). [U.S. Patent Application No. 13/402,139 (February 2012)] Naskar AK, Hunt MA, Saito T. “Method for the preparation of carbon fiber from polyolefin fiber precursor, and carbon fibers made thereby”. US Patent No. 9,096,955 (2015). [U.S. Patent Application No. 13/628,463 (September 2012). U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 61/541,420 (September 2011)] Naskar AK, Saito T, Pickel JM, Baker FS, Eberle CC, Norris RE, Mielenz JM “Lignin-derived thermoplastic co-polymers and methods of preparation” U.S. Patent No. 8,748,537 (2014). [U.S. Patent Application No. 14/058,657 (October 2013)]. (Licensed and being commercialized by TennEra, LLC, Knoxville, TN) Smith DWJr., Haynes D, Naskar AK. Fluorinated lactide-based copolymers. U.S. Patent No. 7,695,795 (2010).Pending Patent Applications: Jackson CD, Naskar AK. Method of Producing Carbon Fibers from Multipurpose Commercial Fibers, (ORNL ID 3583), U. S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/273,559 (filed on December 31, 2015). Li Y, Paranthaman MP, Naskar AK, Akato K. Carbon-metal oxide composite materials and their use in anodes of lithium and sodium ion batteries (ORNL ID 3528) U.S. Patent Appln. No. 14/828,016 (August 17, 2015). Naskar AK, Tran CD, High Performance Lignin-Acrylonitrile Polymer Blend Materials (ORNL ID 3426) U.S. Patent Appln. No. 14/798,729 (July 14, 2015). Kunc V, Duty C, Love L, Naskar AK, Low Shear Process for Producing Polymer Composite Fibers (ORNL ID 3068), U.S. Patent Appln. No. 14/689,466 (April 17, 2015). Ozcan S, Naskar AK, Infrared–Blocking Nanocellulose Aerogel Windows (ORNL ID 3296), U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/132,178 (filed on March 12, 2015). Naskar AK Polymer Blend Compositions and Methods of Preparation (ORNL ID 3165), U.S. Patent Appln. No. 14/311,893 (June 23, 2014). Paulauskas FL, Ozcan S, Naskar AK. “Apparatus and Process for the Surface Treatment of Carbon Fibers”, U.S. Patent Application No. 14/247,601 (April 08, 2014). Naskar AK Paulasukas FL, Warren CD, Janke CJ “Sulfonated Polyolefin-Based Flame Retardant Material”, U.S. Patent Appln. No. 14/175,218 (February 7, 2014). Naskar AK, M. P. Paranthaman, Z. Bi. "Pyrolytic carbon black composite and method of making the same,“ U.S. Patent Application No. 13/945,239 (July 18, 2013). Naskar AK. “Controlled Chemicals Stabilization of Polyvinyl Precursor Fiber, and High Strength Carbon Fiber Produced Therefrom” U.S. Patent Application No. 13/860,188 (April 10, 2013). Naskar AK, Eberle CC, Ozcan S, Paulauskas FL, Ludtka GM, Mackiewicz-Ludtka G, Rivard JD, Abdallah MG. “Magneto-Carbonization Method for Production of Carbon Fiber, and High Performance Carbon Fibers Made Thereby” U.S. Patent Application No. 13/833,834 (March 15, 2013). Naskar AK et al. “Sulfonated Polyolefin-Based Flame Retardant Material”, U.S. Provisional Patent Appln. No. 61/762,489 (February 8, 2013). Naskar AK, Hunt MA, Saito T. “Method for the preparation of carbon fiber from polyolefin fiber precursor, and carbon fibers made thereby”. U.S. Patent Application No. 13/628,463 (September 2012). Paulauskas FL, Ozcan S, Naskar AK. “Apparatus and Process for the Surface Treatment of Carbon Fibers”, U.S. Patent Application No. 13/363,711 (February 01, 2012). Paulauskas FL., Naskar AK, Bonds TA. Advanced oxidation method for producing high-density oxidized polyacrylonitrile fibers. U.S. Patent Application No. 13/163,134 (June 2011).Abandoned Patent Applications: Naskar AK and Saha D. Lignin-Derived Porous Carbon Composition, Methods of Preparation, and Use Thereof, U.S. Patent Application No. 13/766,229 (February13, 2013). Naskar AK, Saito T, Pickel JM, Baker FS, Eberle CC, Norris RE, Mielenz JM. “Lignin-derived thermoplastic co-polymers and methods of preparation” U.S. Patent Application No. 13/288,360 (November 2011).