Dr. Soydan Ozcan is Distinguished Research Scientist and the Group Leader for the Sustainable Manufacturing Technologies Group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). Ozcan leads the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) Hub and Spoke R&D program "Sustainable Materials and Manufacturing Alliance for Renewable Technologies (SM2ART)" with the University of Maine (https://umaine.edu/biomaterials/). The program addresses the broad and vital issue of identifying novel, high-value biomaterials from renewable sources and viable processes for preparing composite and additive manufacturing applications for zero waste.
Ozcan also leads the Circular Economy and Sustainability pillar for Institute for Advanced Manufacturing Composite Innovation (IACMI) (https://iacmi.org). IACMI is the national Composite Institute within Manufacturing USA which helps U.S. manufacturers employ leading-edge technology to become more competitive. In this scope, He facilitates the development of composite recycling technologies and utilizes various composite techniques to repurpose them into useful applications. Ozcan and his team are developing manufacturing techniques and exploring new materials to improve energy efficiency during composite manufacturing, decrease material waste, and improve material cost and performance. Ozcan’s team is integrating a smart circular economy concept within product development, production processes, and use and reuse systems right from the beginning.
Applied R&D of Ozcan’s team engages over thirty industrial partners and delivers research with more direct applications to society. Ozcan is also a prolific researcher who has published over 100 papers, holds 24 issued and pending patents, has published 11 book chapters, and has been an active speaker with over a hundred presentations and short courses on sustainable manufacturing materials-related topics and research.
2023 TAPPI Nano Technical Award
2022 CAMX Outstanding Technical Paper Award
2021 Battelle Memorial Institute Distinguished Inventor
2021 R&D 100 - UCC: Ultra-conductive Copper-CNT Composite
2021 The Awards for Composites Excellence (ACE) in Innovation in Green Composites Design - CAMX
2020 R&D 100 - Biomacromolecule Engineering by Soft Chain Coupling Technology
2018 CAMX Outstanding Technical Paper Award for Green & Sustainability Track
2017 The Awards for Composites Excellence (ACE) in Innovation in Green Composites Design - CAMX
2017 Significant Event Award, for successful bio-composite development for Additive Manufacturing, UT-Battelle - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
2012 Oak Ridge National Laboratory Science and Technology Award, for exceptional team for carbon fiber R&D, UT-Battelle
2010 Significant Event Award, for development of new process for carbon fiber, UT-Battelle - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
2010 Contributor to ORNL’s Gordon Battelle Prize for Technology Impact, “Low-cost Carbon Fiber and Composites”
2008 The Outstanding Technical Papers, Society of Automotive Engineers
2007 Dissertation Research Award of the year, SIU
REPRESENTATIVE RECENT JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (Link to Soydan Ozcan Google Scholar)
1. Bhagia S, Kore S, Wasti S, Ďurkovič J, Kováč J, Zhao X, et al. 3D printing of a recycled copolyester of terephthalic acid, cyclohexanedimethanol and tetramethylcyclobutanediol. Polymer Testing. 2023;118:107916.
2. Armstrong KO, Kamath D, Zhao X, Rencheck M, Tekinalp H, Korey M, Hun D, Ozcan S. Life cycle cost, energy, and carbon emissions of molds for precast concrete: Exploring the impacts of material choices and additive manufacturing, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 2023 197:107117
3. Copenhaver K, Smith T, Armstrong K, Kamath D, Rencheck M, Bhagia Ozcan S, et al. Recyclability of additively manufactured bio-based composites. Composites Part B: Engineering. 2023;255:110617.
4. Dea S, James B, Ji J, Wasti S, Zhang S, Kore S, et al. Biomass-derived composites for various applications. Advances in Bioenergy. 8: Elsevier; 2023. p. 145-96.
5. Kelly PV, Shams Es-haghi S, Lamm ME, Copenhaver K, Ozcan S, Gardner DJ, et al. Polymer-Grafted Cellulose Nanofibrils with Enhanced Interfacial Compatibility for Stronger Poly (lactic acid) Composites. ACS Applied Polymer Materials. 2023;5(5):3661-76.
6. Korey M, Rencheck ML, Tekinalp H, Wasti S, Wang P, Bhagia S, et al. Recycling polymer composite granulate/regrind using big area additive manufacturing. Composites Part B: Engineering. 2023;256:110652.
7. Li K, Smith T, Asher W, Flores-Betancourt A, Trofimov AA, Wang H, et al. Additively manufactured polymer composites for heat exchanger applications: evaluation of critical thermophysical properties. Journal of Materials Science. 2023:1-12.
8. Liu L, Jo E, Hoskins D, Vaidya U, Ozcan S, Ju F, et al. Layer time optimization in large scale additive manufacturing via a reduced physics-based model. Additive Manufacturing. 2023;72:103597.
9. Rencheck ML, Korey M, Zhao X, Tekinalp H, Ozcan S. Towards the Applications of Mechanophore Incorporated Feedstocks for Additive Manufacturing. Materials Today Communications. 2023:105525.
10. Seydibeyoğlu MÖ, Dogru A, Wang J, Rencheck M, Han Y, Wang L, et al. Review on Hybrid Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composites with Nanocellulose, Nanomaterials, and Other Fibers. Polymers. 2023;15(4):984.
11. Vaidya U, Wasti S, Tekinalp H, Hassen AA, Ozcan S. Recycled Glass Polypropylene Composites from Transportation Manufacturing Waste. Journal of Composites Science. 2023;7(3):99.
12. Zhao X, Bhagia S, Gomez-Maldonado D, Tang X, Wasti S, Lu S, et al. Bioinspired design toward nanocellulose-based materials. Materials Today. 2023.
13. Zhao X, Wang Y, Chen X, Yu X, Li W, Zhang S, et al. Sustainable bioplastics derived from renewable natural resources for food packaging. Matter. 2023;6(1):97-127.
SELECT JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (Link to Soydan Ozcan Google Scholar)
Zhao X, Bhagia S. Ozcan S et.al.. Bioinspired design toward nanocellulose-based materials. Materials Today. 2023;66:409-430
Cao D, Li Q, Sun X, Wang Y, Zhao X, Cakmak E, Liang W, Anderson A, Ozcan S, Zhu H Amphipathic Binder Integrating Ultrathin and Highly Ion‐Conductive Sulfide Membrane for Cell‐Level High‐Energy‐Density All‐Solid‐State Batteries. Advanced Materials. 2021;2105505.
Li K, Clarkson CM, Wang L, Liu Y, Lamm M, Pang Z, Ozcan S Alignment of Cellulose Nanofibers: Harnessing Nanoscale Properties to Macroscale Benefits. ACS nano. 2021;15(3):3646-73.
Lamm ME, Li K, Qian J, Wang L, Lavoine N, Newman R, Ozcan S Cellulose Nanofiber Templating: Recent Advances in Functional Materials through Cellulose Nanofiber Templating (Adv. Mater. 12/2021). Advanced Materials. 2021;33(12):2170094.
Tekinalp HL, Kunc V, Velez-Garcia GM, Duty CE, Love LJ, Naskar AK, Ozcan S. Highly oriented carbon fiber–polymer composites via additive manufacturing. Composites Science and Technology. 2014;105:144-50.
Lu Y, Ozcan S. Green nanomaterials: On track for a sustainable future. Nano Today. 2015;10(4):417-20.
Ozcan S, Tezcan J, Filip P. Microstructure and elastic properties of individual components of C/C composites. Carbon. 2009;47(15):3403-14.
1. S. Dea, B. James, J. Jic, S. Wasti, S. Zhang, S. Koref, H. Tekinalp, Y. Li, E. E. Ureña-Benavides, U. Vaidya, A J. Ragauskase,, E. Webb, S. Ozcan, Xianhui Zhao, Biomass-derived composites for various applications Advances in Bioenergy (2023)
2. X. Zhao, S Lu, W Li, S Zhang, K Li, K Nawaz, P Wang, G Yang, A Ragauskas, S Ozcan, E Webb, Epoxy as Filler or Matrix for Polymer Composites, IntechOpen (2022)
3. X. Zhao, K. Li, M. E. Lamm, S. Celik, L. Wei S.Ozcan, Solid waste gasification: comparison of single- and multi-staged reactors, Intact book "Gasification" edited by Dr. Valter Silva. ISBN 978-1-83968-796-9 (2020)
4. S.Ozcan, F. Vautard, A.K. Naskar, Structure and properties of carbon fibers, Polymer Precursor-Derived Carbon, ACS Book Chapter, 1173: 215-232, (2014).
5. S. Ozcan, J. Tezcan, J. Howe, P. Filip, “Study on elasto-plastic behavior of different carbon types in carbon/carbon composites”Mechanical Properties and Performance of Engineering Ceramics and Composites IV, vol 29(2): 141-150 (2008)
6. S. Ozcan, B. Gurung, P Filip, “Measurement of the matrix/fiber interfacial strength of carbon/carbon composites”,Ceramic Trans. vol 27(2): 217-223 (2006).
7. S. Ozcan, M. Woldemicheal, S. Iqbal, P. Filip, “Microstructure and thermal properties of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional C/C composites”,Ceramic Trans., vol. 27(2): 233-244 (2006)
8. D.E. Wittmer, S. Ozcan, M. Krkoska, P. Filip,“Effect of heat treatment on crystal structure and wear performance of carbon-carbon composites” Ceramic Trans.vol 27(2): 665-675 (2006).
9. S. Ozcan, M. Krkoska, P. Filip “Frictional performance and local properties of C/C composites”. Ceramic Trans., vol 26(8): 127-138(2005).
10. S. Ozcan and R. Koc. “Synthesis and characterization of Al2O3-SiC composite powders from carbon coated precursors” Ceramic Trans., vol 166: 123-130 (2005).
11. S. Ozcan and R. Koc, “Microstructure and electrical conductivity studies of (La,Sr)(Cr,Mn,Co)O3” Ceramic Trans., vol 161: 13-21 (2005)
PATENTS (link to Soydan Ozcan Justia Patents)
1. X. Zhao, JW Klett, S. Ozcan, HL. Tekinalp, J. Figley, Active Metal Catalyst. US Patent No 11554364 B2, (Jan 17, 2023)
2. T Aytug, IN Ivanov, Y Mina, X Meng, S Ozcan, “Metal-carbon composites and methods for their production” US. Patent. No. 1,1325,348 (May 10, 2022)
3. S.Ozcan, H. Tekinalp, "Thermoset Composite having Thermoplastic Characteristics". US. Patent. No. 10,974,463 (April 13, 2021)
4. X Meng, S Ozcan, H Tekinalp, Silane-modified polyester blends and methods of preparation, US Patent 10,875,960, (Dec 29, 2020)
5. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, Solid Composites Containing Polymeric Matrix with Carbon Fibers Embedded Therein U.S. Patent No. 10,501,590 (Dec 10, 2019)
6. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix B2 Divisional U.S. Patent No. 10,457,785 (Oct 29, 2019)
7. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix B3 Divisional U.S. Patent No. 10,351,683 (July 16, 2019)
8. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, "Multifunctional curing agents and their use in improving strength of composites containing carbon fibers embedded in a polymeric matrix" US. Patent No. 10,240,011 (March 26, 2019)
9. S.Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, "Carbon Fiber Reinforcements for Sheet Molding Composites", US. Patent No. 10,207,427 (Feb 19, 2019)
10. S.Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, "Carbon Fiber Reinforcements for Sheet Molding Composites", U.S. Patent No. 9,815,224 (Nov 14, 2017)
11. S. Ozcan, A.K. Naskar, "Method of Manufacturing Tin-Doped Indium Oxide Nanofibers", U.S. Patent No. 9,670,598 (June 6, 2017)
12. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, "Multifunctional curing agents and their use in improving strength of composites containing carbon fibers embedded in a polymeric matrix", U.S. Patent No. 9,617,398 (April 11, 2017)
13. A.K. Naskar, S. Ozcan, FL Paulasukas, C. Eberle, M. Abdallah, G. Ludtka, G. Ludtka, F. Paulauskas, J. Rivard. "Magneto-carbonization method for production of carbon fiber, and high performance carbon fibers made thereby", U.S. Patent No. 9,725,829 (Aug 8, 2017)
14. S. Ozcan, Y. Lu, "Method of making controlled morphology metal-oxides", U.S. Patent No. 9,340,461, (May 17, 2016)
15. FL Paulasukas, S. Ozcan, A. Naskar, “Apparatus and process for surface treatment of carbon fibers”, U.S. Patent No. 9,340,677 (May 17, 2016)
16. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulasukas, "Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix" A1. U.S. Patent No. 9,365,685 (June 14, 2016)
PENDING PATENT APPLICATIONS
17. S. Ozcan, K. Li, Y. Wang, H Tekinalp. Toughened Polyester Composites Containing Polyester Matrix and Droplets of High Boiling Liquid Therein” US. Patent Appl. No. 16/775,827 (2020)
18. K Li, ME Lamm, HL Tekinalp, S Ozcan. Aqueous Phase Surface Modification of Cellulose Nanofibrils through Imine Formation and Their Applications in Thermoplastic Biocomposites" US Pat Appl. No. 63/340,531 (2022)
19. T. Aytug, I. Ivanov, X. Meng, S. Ozcan, M. Yoon, "Metal-Carbon Composites and methods for their production Divisional US. Patent Appl. No 62/509,786, (2018)
20. S. Ozcan, "Infrared-Blocking Nanocellulose Aerogel Windows", US. Patent Appl. No. 62/132,178 (2015)
21. M. Bouguettaya, S. Ozcan, R. Ginder, M. Cieslinski, U. Vaidya, Materials, Compositions, and Methods for the Formation of Composite Articles. World Intellectual Property Organization WO 2022/040546 A1 (2020)
22. S. Ozcan, K. Li, H. Tekinalp, X. Zhao, J. Phipps, S. Ireland, Surface-Modified and Dried Microfibrillated Cellulose Reinforced Thermoplastic Biocomposites US. Patent Appl. No. 63/051,614, Australian Patent Application No. 2021309471, International Patent Application No. PCT/US2021/041039, International Publication No. WO 2022/015588, European Patent Application No. 21786015.4 (2022).
SCIENTIFIC SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS and ENGAGEMENTS
- Society of Plastic Engineers (SPE)
- Board Member of the Automotive Division of the Society of Plastic Engineers
- The Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI)
- Secretary of Nanomaterial Characterization Subcommittee
- The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS)
- Materials Research Society (MRS)