Group Leader, Sustainable Manufacturing Technologies Group
Dr. Soydan Ozcan is the Group Leader for the Sustainable Manufacturing Technologies Group in the Energy Science and Technology Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). Ozcan leads the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) Hub and Spoke R&D program with the University of Maine (https://umaine.edu/biomaterials/). The program addresses the broad and vital issue of identifying novel, high-value biomaterials from renewable sources and viable processes for preparing composite and additive manufacturing applications for zero waste.
Ozcan also leads the Circular Economy and Sustainability pillar for Institute for Advanced Manufacturing Composite Innovation (IACMI). IACMI is the national Composite Institute within Manufacturing USA which helps U.S. manufacturers employ leading-edge technology to become more competitive. In this scope, He facilitates the development of composite recycling technologies and utilizes various composite techniques to repurpose them into useful applications. Ozcan and his team are developing manufacturing techniques and exploring new materials to improve energy efficiency during composite manufacturing, decrease material waste, and improve material cost and performance. Ozcan’s team is integrating a smart circular economy concept within product development, production processes, and use and re-use systems right from the beginning.
Applied R&D of Ozcan’s team engages over thirty industrial partners and delivers research with more direct applications to society. Ozcan is also a prolific researcher published nearly 100 papers, holds 22 issued and pending patents, has published 10 book chapters and has been an active speaker with more than a hundred presentations and short courses are given on the manufacturing of materials-related topics and research.
- 2021 Battelle Memorial Institute Distinguished Inventor
- 2021 R&D 100 - UCC: Ultra-conductive Copper-CNT Composite
- 2021 The Awards for Composites Excellence (ACE) in Innovation in Green Composites Design - CAMX
- 2020 R&D 100 - Biomacromolecule Engineering by Soft Chain Coupling Technology
- 2018 CAMX Outstanding Technical Paper Award for Green & Sustainability Track
- 2017 The Awards for Composites Excellence (ACE) in Innovation in Green Composites Design - CAMX
- 2017 Significant Event Award, for successful bio-composite development for Additive Manufacturing, UT-Battelle - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- 2012 Oak Ridge National Laboratory Science and Technology Award, for exceptional team for carbon fiber R&D, UT-Battelle
- 2010 Significant Event Award, for development of new process for carbon fiber, UT-Battelle - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- 2010 Contributor to ORNL’s Gordon Battelle Prize for Technology Impact, “Low-cost Carbon Fiber and Composites”
- 2008 The Outstanding Technical Papers, Society of Automotive Engineers
- 2007 Dissertation Research Award of the year, SIU
REPRESENTATIVE RECENT JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (Link to Soydan Ozcan Google Scholar)
- K Copenhaver, KLi L Wang, M Lamm, X Zhao, M Korey, D Neivandt, B Dixon, S Sultana, P Kelly, WM Gramlich, H. Tekinalp, D.J. Gardner · S. MacKay · K.Nawaz · S. Ozcan Pretreatment of lignocellulosic feedstocks for cellulose nanofbril production. Cellulose 2022, 29: 4835–4876
- K. Li, Y Li, H Tekinalp, V Kumar, X Zhao, Y Pu, A J Ragauskas, K Nawaz, T Aytug, S Ozcan Hydrogen bond–induced aqueous-phase surface modification of nanocellulose and its mechanically strong composites. Journal of Materials Science, 2022:2-12
- P Luan, X Zhao, K Copenhaver, S Ozcan, H Zhu, Turning Natural Herbaceous Fibers into Advanced Materials for Sustainability, Advanced Fiber Materials 2022:1-22
- ME Lamm, K Li, D Ker, X Zhao, HE Hinton, K Copenhaver, H Tekinalp, S Ozcan Exploiting chitosan to improve the interface of nanocellulose reinforced polymer composites Cellulose 2022:1-12
- K Copenhaver, K Li,M E. Lamm, C Walker, D Johnson, Y Han, L Wang, X Zhao, Y Pu, H Hinton, H Tekinalp, S Bhagia, AJ. Ragauskas, DJ. Gardner, S Ozcan. Recycled Cardboard Containers as a Low Energy Source for Cellulose Nanofibrils and Their Use in Poly(L‑lactide)Nanocomposites ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 2021, 9: 13460−13470
- K L Wang, K Li, K Copenhaver, S Mackay, M E. Lamm, X Zhao, B Dixon, J Wang, Y Han, D Neivandt, D A. Johnson, C C. Walker, S Ozcan,and DJ. Gardner Review on Nonconventional Fibrillation Methods of Producing Cellulose Nanofibrils and Their Applications Biomacramolecule 2021 22:4037-59
- K Kooduvalli, J Unser, S Ozcan, UK Vaidya, Embodied Energy in Pyrolysis and Solvolysis Approaches to Recycling for Carbon Fiber-Epoxy Reinforced Composite Waste Streams, Recycling, 2022 7(1):6
- Copenhaver K, Wang L, Korey M, Gardner DJ, Li K, Lamm ME, VKishore V, Bhagia S, Tajvidi M, Tekinalp H, Oyedeji O, Wasti S, Webb E, Ragauskas AJ, Zhu H, Peter WH, Ozcan S. Recycling of natural fiber composites: Challenges and opportunities. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2022;177:105962
- X Zhao, M Korey, K Li, K Copenhaver, H Tekinalp, S Celik, K Kalaitzidou, R Ruan, A J Ragauskas, S Ozcan, Plastic waste upcycling toward a circular economy, Chemical Engineering Journal 2022;428:131928
- K Kooduvalli, J Unser, S Ozcan, UK Vaidya, Embodied Energy in Pyrolysis and Solvolysis Approaches to Recycling for Carbon Fiber-Epoxy Reinforced Composite Waste Streams, Recycling 2022, 7: 6
SELECT JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (Link to Soydan Ozcan Google Scholar)
- Cao D, Li Q, Sun X, Wang Y, Zhao X, Cakmak E, Liang W, Anderson A, Ozcan S, Zhu H Amphipathic Binder Integrating Ultrathin and Highly Ion‐Conductive Sulfide Membrane for Cell‐Level High‐Energy‐Density All‐Solid‐State Batteries. Advanced Materials. 2021;2105505.
- Li K, Clarkson CM, Wang L, Liu Y, Lamm M, Pang Z, Ozcan S Alignment of Cellulose Nanofibers: Harnessing Nanoscale Properties to Macroscale Benefits. ACS nano. 2021;15(3):3646-73.
- Lamm ME, Li K, Qian J, Wang L, Lavoine N, Newman R, Ozcan S Cellulose Nanofiber Templating: Recent Advances in Functional Materials through Cellulose Nanofiber Templating (Adv. Mater. 12/2021). Advanced Materials. 2021;33(12):2170094.
- Tekinalp HL, Kunc V, Velez-Garcia GM, Duty CE, Love LJ, Naskar AK, Ozcan S. Highly oriented carbon fiber–polymer composites via additive manufacturing. Composites Science and Technology. 2014;105:144-50.
- Lu Y, Ozcan S. Green nanomaterials: On track for a sustainable future. Nano Today. 2015;10(4):417-20.
- Ozcan S, Tezcan J, Filip P. Microstructure and elastic properties of individual components of C/C composites. Carbon. 2009;47(15):3403-14.
1. T Aytug, IN Ivanov, Y Mina, X Meng, S Ozcan, “Metal-carbon composites and methods for their production” US. Patent. No. 1,1325,348 (May 10, 2022)
2. S.Ozcan, H. Tekinalp, "Thermoset Composite having Thermoplastic Characteristics". US. Patent. No. 10,974,463 (April 13, 2021)
3. X Meng, S Ozcan, H Tekinalp, Silane-modified polyester blends and methods of preparation, US Patent 10,875,960, (Dec 29, 2020)
4. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, Solid Composites Containing Polymeric Matrix with Carbon Fibers Embedded Therein U.S. Patent No. 10,501,590 (Dec 10, 2019)
5. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix B2 Divisional U.S. Patent No. 10,457,785 (Oct 29, 2019)
6. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix B3 Divisional U.S. Patent No. 10,351,683 (July 16, 2019)
7. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, "Multifunctional curing agents and their use in improving strength of composites containing carbon fibers embedded in a polymeric matrix" US. Patent No. 10,240,011 (March 26, 2019)
8. S.Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, "Carbon Fiber Reinforcements for Sheet Molding Composites", US. Patent No. 10,207,427 (Feb 19, 2019)
9. S.Ozcan, FL. Paulauskas, "Carbon Fiber Reinforcements for Sheet Molding Composites", U.S. Patent No. 9,815,224 (Nov 14, 2017)
10. S. Ozcan, A.K. Naskar, "Method of Manufacturing Tin-Doped Indium Oxide Nanofibers", U.S. Patent No. 9,670,598 (June 6, 2017)
11. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, "Multifunctional curing agents and their use in improving strength of composites containing carbon fibers embedded in a polymeric matrix", U.S. Patent No. 9,617,398 (April 11, 2017)
12. A.K. Naskar, S. Ozcan, FL Paulasukas, C. Eberle, M. Abdallah, G. Ludtka, G. Ludtka, F. Paulauskas, J. Rivard. "Magneto-carbonization method for production of carbon fiber, and high performance carbon fibers made thereby", U.S. Patent No. 9,725,829 (Aug 8, 2017)
13. S. Ozcan, Y. Lu, "Method of making controlled morphology metal-oxides", U.S. Patent No. 9,340,461, (May 17, 2016)
14. FL Paulasukas, S. Ozcan, A. Naskar, “Apparatus and process for surface treatment of carbon fibers”, U.S. Patent No. 9,340,677 (May 17, 2016)
15. F. Vautard, S. Ozcan, FL. Paulasukas, "Method of improving adhesion of carbon fibers with a polymeric matrix" A1. U.S. Patent No. 9,365,685 (June 14, 2016)
PENDING PATENT APPLICATIONS
16. S. Ozcan, K. Li, Y. Wang, H Tekinalp. Toughened Polyester Composites Containing Polyester Matrix and Droplets of High Boiling Liquid Therein” US. Patent Appl. No. 16/775,827 (2020)
17. S. Ozcan, K. Li, H.L. Tekinalp, X. Zhao, Surface-modified and dried microfibrillated cellulose reinforced thermoplastic biocomposites US. Patent Appl. No. 63/051,614 (2020)
18. T. Aytug, I. Ivanov, X. Meng, S. Ozcan, M. Yoon, "Metal-Carbon Composites and methods for their production Divisional US. Patent Appl. No 62/509,786, (2018)
19. T. Aytug, I. Ivanov, X. Meng, S. Ozcan, M. Yoon, "Metal-Carbon Composites and methods for their production US. Patent Appl. No 15/985,785, (2018)
20. S. Ozcan, "Infrared-Blocking Nanocellulose Aerogel Windows", US. Patent Appl. No. 62/132,178 (2015)
21. M. Bouguettaya, S. Ozcan, R. Ginder, M. Cieslinski, U. Vaidya, Materials, Compositions, and Methods for the Formation of Composite Articles. US. Patent Appl. No. 63/068,714 filed by BASF (2020)
22. S. Ozcan, K. Li, H. Tekinalp, X. Zhao, J. Phipps, S. Ireland Surface-Modified and Dried Microfibrillated Cellulose Reinforced Thermoplastic Biocomposites U.S. Appl. No. 63/051,614 filed by FiberLean (2020)
1. X. Zhao, S Lu, W Li, S Zhang, K Li, K Nawaz, P Wang, G Yang, A Ragauskas, S Ozcan, E Webb, Epoxy as Filler or Matrix for Polymer Composites, IntechOpen (2022)
2. X. Zhao, K. Li, M. E. Lamm, S. Celik, L. Wei S.Ozcan, Solid waste gasification: comparison of single- and multi-staged reactors, Intact book "Gasification" edited by Dr. Valter Silva. ISBN 978-1-83968-796-9 (2020)
3. S.Ozcan, F. Vautard, A.K. Naskar, Structure and properties of carbon fibers, Polymer Precursor-Derived Carbon, ACS Book Chapter, 1173: 215-232, (2014).
4. S. Ozcan, J. Tezcan, J. Howe, P. Filip, “Study on elasto-plastic behavior of different carbon types in carbon/carbon composites”Mechanical Properties and Performance of Engineering Ceramics and Composites IV, vol 29(2): 141-150 (2008)
5. S. Ozcan, B. Gurung, P Filip, “Measurement of the matrix/fiber interfacial strength of carbon/carbon composites”,Ceramic Trans. vol 27(2): 217-223 (2006).
6. S. Ozcan, M. Woldemicheal, S. Iqbal, P. Filip, “Microstructure and thermal properties of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional C/C composites”,Ceramic Trans., vol. 27(2): 233-244 (2006)
7. D.E. Wittmer, S. Ozcan, M. Krkoska, P. Filip,“Effect of heat treatment on crystal structure and wear performance of carbon-carbon composites” Ceramic Trans.vol 27(2): 665-675 (2006).
8. S. Ozcan, M. Krkoska, P. Filip “Frictional performance and local properties of C/C composites”. Ceramic Trans., vol 26(8): 127-138(2005).
9. S. Ozcan and R. Koc. “Synthesis and characterization of Al2O3-SiC composite powders from carbon coated precursors” Ceramic Trans., vol 166: 123-130 (2005).
10. S. Ozcan and R. Koc, “Microstructure and electrical conductivity studies of (La,Sr)(Cr,Mn,Co)O3” Ceramic Trans., vol 161: 13-21 (2005)