Sachin U Nimbalkar
Sachin U Nimbalkar
Group Leader, Energy Efficiency Research and Analysis Group
Dr. Nimbalkar has more than nine years of professional experience which includes working as a R&D Staff at ORNL. Dr. Nimbalkar provides technical support to DOE AMO’s Better Buildings, Better Plants Partners through energy road map development, baselining analysis, in-plant trainings, field visits to investigate feasible measures to reduce process energy requirements. Dr. Nimbalkar assists AMO’s international activities through technical program management support, planning and development of tools and materials. Dr. Nimbalkar held several training workshops and webinars throughout Brazil, China, Costa Rica, India, Turkey, and covering energy efficiency in process heat systems, waste heat recovery from industrial process heating equipment and DOE’s Process Heating Assessment and Survey Tool (PHAST). Dr. Nimbalkar is actively involved in research activities in industrial process heating, waste heat management (reduce, recover, and recycle), smart manufacturing, and water-energy nexus areas. He is also conducting research in life cycle energy and emissions analysis, modeling, and projection of energy efficient technologies and innovative manufacturing processes. Dr. Nimbalkar is an active member of Sigma Xi since 2010. He has achieved the “Qualified Specialist” recognition in using three key DOE energy efficiency software tools – the Process Heating Assessment and Survey Tool (PHAST), the Pump System Assessment Tool (PSAT), and the Steam System Assessment Tool (SSAT). These are comprehensive tools used to evaluate energy savings improvements in pump, process heating, and steam systems. Dr. Nimbalkar received his PhD and M.S. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey.
- Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), Wei Guo (ORNL), Thomas Wenning (ORNL), and Joseph Cresko (DOE), “Smart Manufacturing Technologies and Data Analytics for Improving Energy Efficiency in Industrial Energy Systems”, 2017 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Industry, In Press, August 2017.
- Thomas Wenning (ORNL), Daryl Cox (ORNL), Wei Guo (ORNL), Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), Anthony Taylor (Tennessee Tech), Kiran Thirumaran (ORNL), “Quantifying the statistical importance of utilizing regression over simple energy intensity calculations for tracking efficiency improvements in industry”, 2017 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Industry, In Press, August 2017.
- William R. Morrow (LBNL), Alberta Carpenter (NREL), Joe Cresko (US DOE), Diane Graziano (ANL), Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL) and Arman Shehabi (LBNL), "U.S. Industrial Sector Emissions Reduction Pathways", 2017 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Industry, In Press, August 2017.
- Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), Walt Brockway, Bruce Lung (DOE), Kiran Thirumaran (ORNL), and Thomas Wenning (ORNL), “U.S. DOE’s Energy Treasure Hunt Exchange In-Plant Trainings – DOE Resources, Early Results and Lessons Learned”, 2017 Industrial Energy Technology Conference, New Orleans, In Press, June 2017.
- Runze Huang (Northwestern University) , Matthew Riddle (ANL), Diane Graziano (ANL), Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), Joe Cresko (DOE), and Eric Masanet, “Energy and Emissions Saving Potential of Additive Manufacturing: The Case of Lightweight Aircraft Components”, Journal of Cleaner Production, manuscript submitted October 29th, 2014.
- Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), Daryl Cox (ORNL), Kelly Visconti (US DOE), and Joseph Cresko (US DOE), “Life Cycle Energy Assessment Methodology and Additive Manufacturing Energy Impacts Assessment tool”, 2014 the American Center for Life Cycle Assessment, Life Cycle Assessment XIIV: Proceedings, San Francisco, October 2014.
- Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), Arvind Thekdi (E3M Inc.), James Keiser (ORNL), and John Storey (ORNL), “Waste Heat Recovery from High Temperature Off-Gases from Electric Arc Furnaces”, the Association for Iron & Steel Technology’s AISTech 2014 conference, May 2014.
- Hongyou Lu (LBNL), Lynn Price (LBNL), Arvind Thekdi (E3M Inc.), Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), Matthew DeGroot (IISC), Shi Jun (SECSC, China), “Energy assessments under the Top 10,000 Program – a case study for a steel mill in China”, the European Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ECEEE) Proceedings, May 2014.
- Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), Arvind Thekdi (E3M Inc.), Orion Kafka (Northwestern University), Benjamin Rogers (University of Tennessee), and Thomas Wenning (ORNL), “Technologies and Materials for Recovering Waste Heat in Harsh Environment”, ORNL Report, ORNL/TM-2014/619. http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publications/files/Pub52939.pdf
- Arvind Thekdi (E3M Inc.) and Sachin Nimbalkar (ORNL), “Industrial Waste Heat Recovery: Potential Applications, Available Technologies and Crosscutting R&D Opportunities”, ORNL Report, ORNL/TM-2014/622. https://info.ornl.gov/sites/publications/Files/Pub52987.pdf