Michael Z. Hu
Michael Z. Hu
Sr. Research Staff Member
Dr. Michael Hu is a chemical engineer and biochemical engineer by education, serving as a Senior Research Staff Member at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). Meanwhile, he is appointed by the University of Tennessee (UT) as a Joint Faculty Professor at the UT Bredesen Center and an Adjunct Professor at the Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Department. He is the Founder Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Nanomaterials. Dr. Hu’s research interest is in advanced materials and chemical processing technologies such as for separations and catalysis. He is a team leader for a Department of Energy (DOE) program that has won a 2014 R&D100 Award based on advanced nano-membranes work. His membrane technology development work became an DOE success story in July 2017 (https://energy.gov/eere/success-stories/articles/eere-success-story-new-...). Dr. Hu has also served as the thermochemical pathway team lead for a DOE-sponsored multi-lab Separations Consortium program funded since FY2017.
Over the past 22 years or so, Dr. Hu has served roles as Principal Investigator and Project Team Leader for a variety of fundamental and applied nanomaterials and nanotechnology research programs and projects that develop materials chemistry, surface/interface sciences, and chemical process engineering for applications in clean renewable efficient energy and functional nanomaterials/devices. He has been leading or supporting multiple programs in nanoscience, engineering, and materials research sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy and other federal agencies. Industry sponsored projects are also an important part of his research and development portfolio, with the goal to provide nano-engineered materials and processes solutions to problems facing to private industries today. Since 1995, Dr. Hu has successfully developed, managed, and conducted multidisciplinary R&D projects that require integration of nanomaterials chemistry, (bio)molecular sciences, colloid & interface sciences, and chemical nano-manufacturing engineering relevant to the chemical synthesis of nanoparticles, nanocrystals, membranes, nanostructured graphene materials, advanced ceramics, films/coatings, self-assembled nanostructures, nanocomposites or hybrid materials, and other nanomaterials for energy (e.g., solid-state lighting, solar cells, supercapacitors, biofuel processing), medical, detectors or sensors, national/homeland security, and other nanotechnology applications.
Hu enjoys playing guitar-singing, violin, and tennis at his leisure time.
- 2016 (December 7) Inventor Awards: For two issued US patents (1) Super-surface selective nanomembranes providing simultaneous high permeation flux and high selectivity, (2) Methods for producing complex films, and films produced thereby
- 2014 (December) Technology Commercialization Award: in recognition of a successful commercial license (to Dry Surface Coatings LLC) of an invention, related to the superhydrophobic coatings and membranes.
- 2014 (September) Technology Licensing Recognition: Michael Hu is a co-inventor of ORNL’s patented NanoFermentation technology.
- 2014 R&D100 Award for Dr. Michael Hu and his team on the cutting-edge development of super-hydro-tunable functional nanomembranes with high impact on applications in biofuel processing (bioethanol and drop-in-fuels) and many other molecular separations in liquid-phase and vapor-phase processing.
Actively working on multiple on-going projects in the area of advanced nanomaterials for separations and catalysis applications.
Materials chemical synthesis efforts include nanoparticles, surface/interface functionalized materials, graphene-based nanostructures, oxide based nano/mesoporous membranes and nano-catalysts, etc.
(Selective list from over 120 publications)
- Michael Z. Hu* and Matthew R. Sturgeon, “Architectured Nanomembranes,” invited contribution to a book chapter for book Shape Selective/Anisotropic Nanomaterials, July (2017).
- Michael Z. Hu*, David W. Depaoli, Tanya Kuritz, and Ogbemi O. Omatete, “Electric-Field-Oriented Growth of Long Hair-Like Silica Microfibers and Derived Functional Monolithic Solids,” Recent Patent on Nanotechnology (NanoTec) 11, 243-251 (2017).
- Gyoung G. Jang, Kyoung-Sik. Moon, Ching-Ping Wong, Jong K. Keum, Michael Z. Hu*, “Size-controlled, Aromatic amine ligand grafted Graphene Sheet Deposit Films for Enhanced Performance of Supercapacitors,” Carbon 119, 296-304 (2017).
- Gyoung Gug Jang, Bo Song, Liyi Li, Jong Kahk Keum, Yongdong Jiang, Andrew Hunt, Kyoung-Sik Moon, Ching-Ping Wong, and Michael Z. Hu*, “Microscopic Vertical Alignment of Nano-Interspaced Graphene Architectures in Deposit Films as Electrodes for Enhanced Supercapacitor Performance,” Nano Energy 32, 88-95 (2017).
- Chaiwat Engtrakul*, Michael Z. Hu*, Brian L. Bischoff, and Gyoung G. Jang, “Surface-Enhanced Separation of Water from Hydrocarbons: Potential Dewatering Membranes for the Catalytic Fast Pyrolysis of Pine Biomass,” Energy & Fuels 30, 8483-8348 (2016).
- Jianqing Chen*, Donghui Yang, Dan Song, Jiajia Wang, Jinhua Jiang, Aibin Ma, Michael Z. Hu*, Shiquan Lyu, and Chaoying Ni*, “Recent Progress in Stability of Hybrid Perovskites for Solar Cell Applications,” invited contribution to Journal of Power Sources, April (2017).
- Michael Z. Hu* and Ting Zhu, “Semiconductor Nanocrystal Quantum Dot Synthesis Approaches towards Large-scale Industrial Production for Energy Applications,” Nanoscale Research Letters, 10, 469 (2015).
- Michael Z. Hu* and Peng Lai, “Substrate Effect on Nanoporous Structure of Silica Wires by Channel-Confined Self-Assembly of Block-Copolymer and Sol-Gel Precursors,” invited contribution to special issue of Multifunctional Oxide Materials, AIMS Materials Science 2(4), 346-355 (2015).
- Wenyan Liu, Yu Zhang, Dan Wang, Tieqiang Zhang, Yi Feng, Wenzhu Gao, Jingzhi Yin, Yiding Wang, Alexis P. Riley, Michael Z. Hu, William W. Yu, and Cheng Ruan, “ZnCuInS/ZnSe/ZnS Quantum Dot-based Down-conversion Light-Emitting Diodes and the Thermal Effect,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2015, Article ID 298614, 10 pages, doi:10.1155/2015/298614, November 8 (2015).
- Lizhong Wang, Lu Peng, Michael Z. Hu, Shiquan Lyu, Xiangwei Meng, Bo Yu, Maobin Wei, Hougang Fan, and Lili Yang, “Performances of YBaCo1.4Cu0.6O5+delta–Ce0.8Sm0.2O1.9 composite cathodes for intermediate-temperature solid oxide fuel cells,” Ceramics International, 41(10), Part A, 13772-13779 (2015).
- Xiangwei Meng, Shiquan Lyu, Shouxiu Liu, Ciaoyan Liu, Yingrui Sui, Ciuyan Li, Mingjun Pang, Biao Wang, Yuan Ji, Michael Z. Hu*, “Electrochemical characterization of B-site cation-excess Pr2Ni0.75Cu0.25Ga0.05O4+d cathode for IT-SOFCs,” Ceramics International, 41(9), Part B, 12107-12114 (2015).
- Jianqing Chen, Donghui Yang, Dan Song, Jinghua Jiang, Aibin Ma, Michael Z. Hu, Chaoying Ni, “Recent progress in enhancing solar-to-hydrogen efficiency,” Journal of Power Sources 280, 649-666 (2015).
- Rachel Dickson and Michael Z. Hu*, “Chemical synthesis and optical characterization of regular and magic-sized CdS quantum dot nanocrystals using 1-dodecanethiol,” J. Mater. Res. 30, 891 (2015).
- Zane W. Bell, Donald E. Hornback, Michael Z. Hu, “Final Report: Real-Time Wavelength Discrimination for Improved Neutron Discrimination in CLYC,” ORNL/LTR-2015/343, May, 2015.
- Michael Z. Hu, Donglu Shi, and Douglas A. Blom, “Nano-Structured Mesoporous Silica Wires with Intra-Wire Lamellae via Evaporation-Induced Self-Assembly in Space-Confined Channels” Journal of Nanomaterials, Article ID 932160, March (2014).
- Weiyong Yu and Michael Z. Hu, “ZnCuInS/ZnSe/ZnS for Green Color Down-conversion Light-Emitting Diodes”, report ORNL/LTR-2014/302, Pub ID 51033, August 8, 2014.
- Huaping Zhu, Lei Shao, Kui Yu, Shijun Liao, and Michael Z. Hu*, “Synthesis and Optical Properties of Thiol Functionalized CdSe/ZnS (Core/Shell) Quantum Dots by Ligand Exchange” Journal of Nanomaterials, Article ID324972, March21 (2014).
- JiWon Moon, Michael Z. Hu et al., “Scalable economic extracellular synthesis of CdS nanostructured particles by a non-pathogenic thermophile”, Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology, 40, 1263-1271 (2013).
- Andrew J. Haring, Amanda Morris, and Michael Z. Hu, “Controlling Morphological Parameters of Anodized Titania Nanotubes for Optimized Solar Energy Applications”, Materials 5, 1890-1909 (2012).
- Gluckstein, J., Hu, M., Kidder, M., Narula, C. K., Sturgeon, M., and McFarlane, J. “Investigation of Catalytic Pathways and Separations for Lignin Breakdown into Monomers and Fuels,” Separation Science and Technology, June (2012).
- Matthew R. Sturgeon, Peng Lai, and Michael Z. Hu,* “A comparative study of anodized titania nanotube architectures in aqueous and nonaqueous solutions,” J. Mater. Res., 26(20), 2612-2623 (2011).
- Yingnan Wang, Quanqin Dai, Xinyi Yang, Bo Zou, Dongmei Li, Bingbing Liu, Michael Z. Hu, and Guangtian Zou, “A Facile Approach to PbS Nanoflowers and Their Shape-Tunable Hollow Nanostructures: Morphology Evolution”, Cryst. Eng. Comm., 13 (1), 199-203 (2011).
- Michael Z. Hu, Quanqin Dai, and Chad E. Duty, “Pulsed Thermal Processing of Self-Assembled Quantum Dot Structures”, ORNL/TM-2011/31, February 2011.
- Q. Dai, Y. Zhang, Y.N. Wang, Y. D. Wang, B. Zou, W. W. Yu, and Michael Z. Hu*, “Ligand Effects on Synthesis and Post-Synthetic Stability of PbSe Nanocrystals,” J. Phys. Chem., 114 (39), 16160-16167 (2010).
- Q. Dai, Y. Xhang, Y.N. Wang, M.Z. Hu, B. Zou, Y.D. Wang, and W.W. Yu, “Size-Dependent Temperature Effects on PbSe Nanocrystals,” Langmuir, 26(13), 11435-11440 (2010).
- Y.N. Wang, Q.Q. Dai, L.C. Wang, B. Zou, T.A. Cui, B.B. Liu, W.W. Yu, M.Z. Hu, and G.T. Zou, “Mutual Transformation between Random Nanoparticles and Their Superlattices: The Configuration of Capping Ligand Chains,” J. Phys. Chem. C, 114 (26), 11425-11429 (2010).
- M. Z. Hu and K. Yu, “Thermodynamically driven approach toward engineering nanomanufacture of single-sized quantum dot molecular nanocrystal ensembles”, World J. of Eng., July (2010).
- Q.Q. Dai, C.E. Duty, and M.Z. Hu*, “(Review Article) Semiconductor-Nanocrystals-Based White Light-Emitting Diodes,” Small 6, No. 15, 1577-1588 (2010).
- J.G. Hemrick, M.Z. Hu, K.-M. Peters, and B. Hetzel, “Nano-Scale Interpenetrating Phase Composites (IPC’S) for Industrial and Vehicle Applications, ORNL/TM-2010/80, DOE publication 23862, April (2010).
- Kui Yu, Michael Z. Hu, Ruibing Wang, Mickaël Le Piolet, Marion Frotey, Md. Badruz Zaman, Xiaohua Wu, Donald M. Leek, and Ye Tao, “Thermodynamically Driven Formation of Single-Sized Nanocrystals: Tuning of Magic-Sized Quantum Dots versus Regular Quantum Dots”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 114, 3329-3339 (2010).
- Jianying Ouyang, Jasmijn Kuijper, Simon Brot, David Kingston, Xiaohua Wu, Donald M. Leek, Michael Z. Hu, and Kui Yu, “Photoluminescent Colloidal CdS Nanocrystals with High Quality via Noninjection One-Pot Synthesis in 1-Octadecene” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 113 (18), 7579-7593 (2009).
- Michael Z. Hu, Lubna Khatri, Michael T. Harris, “Preparation of Monodispersed Ultrafine Zeolite Nanocrystal Particles by Microwave Hydrothermal Synthesis”, Ceramic Transactions 208, 89 (2009).
- Huaping Zhu, Shijun Liaoa, Liyan Yea, Xinfa Hua, Bamin Khomamib and Michael Z. Hu*, “A Modified Solid-State Reduction Method to Prepare Carbon Nanotube-Supported Platinum Nanoparticle Catalysts for Low Temperature Fuel Cell Application”, Current Nanoscience, 5(2), 252-256 (2009).
- Michael Z. Hu, Peng Lai, M. S. Bhuiyan, Costas Tsouris, Baohua Gu, M. Parans Paranthaman, Jorge Gabitto and Latoya Harrison, “Synthesis and Characterization of Anodized Titanium-Oxide Nanotube Arrays”, Journal of Materials Science 44(11), 2820-2827 (2009).
- Michael Z. Hu and Clay E. Easterly, “A novel thermal electrochemical synthesis method for production of stable colloids of “naked” metal (Ag) nanocrystals”, Materials Science and Engineering C 29, 726-736 (2009).
- Peng Lai, Michael Z. Hu*, Donglu Shi, and Douglas Blom, “Silica Nanowires with New Mesopore Structures by Space-Confined Self-Assembly within Nano-Scale Channels,” Chem. Comm., issue 11, 1338 - 1340, (2008).
- Anil K. Kurella, Michael Z. Hu, and Narendra B. Dahotre, “Effect of Microstructural Evolution on Wettability of Laser Coated Calcium Phosphate on Titanium Alloy,” Materials Science and Engineering C 28(8),1560-1564 (2008).
- R. D. Hunt, T. B. Lindemer, Michel Z. Hu, G. D. De Cul, and J. L. Collins, “Preparation of Spherical, Dense Uranium Fuel Kernels with Carbon”, Radiochim. Acta, 95, 225-232 (2007).
- Michael Z., Hu, A. C. DeBaille, Y. Wei, and G. E. Jellison, “Chemical Solution Deposition of Hafnia Films on Self-Assembled Molecular Monolayers,” Current Nanoscience, Vol. 2, 13-32 (2006).
- Pan, Y., Zhu, J. H., Hu, M. Z., and Payzant, E. A. “Processing of YSZ Thin Films on Dense and Porous Substrates,” Surface & Coatings Technology, 200, 1242-1247 (2005).
- B. I. Lee, X. Wang, S. J. Kwon, H. Maie, R. Kota, J. H. Hwang, J. G. Park, Michael Hu, “Synthesis of high tetragonality nanoparticle BaTiO3,” Microelectronic Engineering, 83, 463-470 (2006).
- Wang, X., Lee, B.I., Hu, M., Payzant, A., and Blom, D.A.,"Nanocrystalline BaTiO3 Powder via a Sol Process Ambient Conditions," J. Euro. Ceram. Soc. 26, 2319-2326 (2006).
- Burtrand I. Lee, Xinyu Wang, Radhika Bhave, and Michael Z. Hu, “Synthesis of brookite TiO2 nanoparticles by ambient condition sol synthesis,” Materials Letters, 60, 1179-1183 (2006).
- Michael Z. Hu, Valmor de Almeida, Igor Kosacki, Douglas A. Blom, and E. Andrew Payzant, “Design and Synthesis of Oriented Guest-Host Nanostructures For Enhanced Membrane Performances,” DOE Information Bridge, web publication http://www.osti.gov/bridge/purl.cover.jsp?purl=/885953-DgVEUr/, August 2006.
- Michael Z. Hu, A. C. DeBaille, Y. Wei, and G. E. Jellison, “Chemical Solution Deposition of Hafnia Films on Self-Assembled Molecular Monolayers - PART I – FILM CHARACTERIZATION,” Ceramic Transaction series, Vol. 172, 37-55 (2005).
- Michael Z. Hu, A. C. DeBaille, Y. Wei, and G. E. Jellison, “Chemical Solution Deposition of Hafnia Films on Self-Assembled Molecular Monolayers - PART II – PRECIPITATION BEHAVIOR IN BULK SOLUTIONS,” Ceramic Transaction series, Vol. 172, 57-70 (2005).
- Michael Z. Hu, “Synthesis of Nanostructured Oxide Films via Chemical Solution Deposition, Molecular Design, and Self-Assembly,” Ceramic Transactions series, vol. 159, 77-91, American Ceramic Society, December, 2004.
- X. Feng and Michael Z. Hu, “Ceramic Nanoparticle Synthesis,” Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (Ed. H.S. Nalwa), Vol. 1, 687-726 (2004).
- C. H. Mattus, M. Z. Hu, D. W. DePaoli, “Deposition of uranium on sodium aluminosilicate surfaces,” Journal of The American Ceramic Society 87 (1): 176-176 (2004).
- S.A. Morton III, D.J. Keffer, R.M. Counce, D. W. DePaoli, Michael Z.-C. Hu, “Thermodynamic Method for Prediction of Surfactant Modified Oil Droplet Contact Angle,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 270, 229-241 (2004).
- Pozhar LA, de Almeida VF, Hu MZ, “Virtual processing of advanced nanomaterials,” American Ceramic Society Bulletin 83 (5): MAY 2004.
- X. Wang, B. I. Lee, Michael Z. Hu, E. A. Payzant, and D. A. Blom, “Ambient Condition Synthesis and Characterization of Nanocrystalline BaTiO3,” Ceramic Transactions, 148, 21-37 (2004).
- David W. DePaoli, Costas Tsouris, and Michael Z. Hu, “EHD Micromixing Reactor for Particle Synthesis,” Powder Technology, 135-136, 302-309 Oct. (2003).
- D. L. Green, J. S. Lin, Y.-F. Lam, Michael Z.C. Hu, D. W. Schaefer, and M. T. Harris, “Size, Volume Fraction and Nucleation of Stober Silica Nanoparticles,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Sciences, 266 (2): 346-358 Oct. (2003).
- Michael Z. Hu, E. A. Payzant, K. R. Booth, C. J. Rawn, R. D. Hunt, and L. F. Allard Jr., “Ultrafine Microsphere Particles of Zirconium Titanate by Homogeneous Dielectric-Tuning Coprecipitation,” Journal of Materials Science, 38, 3831-3844 (2003).
- B. I. Lee, M. Wang, D. Yoon, and Michael Hu, “Aqueous processing of barium titanate powders,” Journal of Ceramic Processing Research, 4, 17-24 (2003).
- X. Wang, B. I. Lee, Michael Z. Hu, E. A. Payzant, and D. A. Blom, “Mechanism of Nanocrystalline BaTiO3 Particle Formation by Hydrothermal Refluxing Synthesis,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 14, 495-500 (2003).
- X. Wang, B. I. Lee, Michael Z. Hu, E. A. Payzant, and D. A. Blom, “Synthesis of Nanocrystalline BaTiO3 by Solvent Refluxing Method,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, 22, 557-559 (2003).
- S.A. Morton, III, D.J. Keffer, R.M. Counce, D. W. DePaoli, Michael Z. Hu, “Thermodynamic Model for the Prediction of Contact Angles of Oil Droplets on Solid Surfaces in SDS Solutions,” Separation Science and Technology, 38, 2815-2835 (2003).
- A. W. Rowe, A. N. Davis, R. M. Counce, S. A. Morton III, D. W. DePaoli, and Michael Z. Hu, “Oil Droplet Detachment from Metal Surfaces as Affected by an Applied Potential,” Separation Science and Technology, 38, 2793 - 2813 (2003).
- N. Davis, S. A. Morton III, R. M. Counce, D. W. DePaoli, and Michael Z. Hu, “Ionic Strength Effects on Hexadecane Contact Angles on a Gold-Coated Glass Surface in Ionic Surfactant Solutions,” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 221, 69-80 (2003).
- Clavier JW, Mirzadeh S, Depaoli D, Hu MZC, “Mesoporous sol-gels for use in clinical-scale Ac-225-Bi-213 generators,” ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 225: U258-U258 64-NUCL Part 2, MAR 2003.
- Michael Z. Hu, D. W. DePaoli, and C. H. Mattus, “Aluminosilicate and Uranium Surface Precipitation tests,” ORNL/TM2002/201, September 19, 2002.
- Y. Tang, Y. Liu, U. Sampathkumaran, Michael Z. Hu, R. Wang, M. R. De Guire, “Particle Growth and Particle Surface Interactions during Low Temperature Deposition of Ceramic Films,” Solid State Ionics, 151, 69-78 (2002)
- A. W. Rowe, R. M. Counce, and S. A. Morton III, Michael Z. Hu, and D. W. DePaoli, “Oil Detachment from Solid Surfaces in Aqueous Surfactant Solutions as a Function of pH,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 41 (7), 1787‑1795 (2002).
- L. A. Pozhar, E. P. Kontar, and Michael Z. Hu, “Transport Properties of Nanosystems: Viscosity of Nanofluids Confined in Slit Nanopores,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2, 209-227 (2002).
- D. L. Green, M. T. Harris, S. Jayasundara, J. S. Lin, Michael Z. Hu, Y.-F. Lam, “Early Stage Silica Formation in Methanol and Ethanol,” Ceramic Transactions, 137, 33-58 (2003).
- L. Khatri, Michael Z. Hu, and M. T. Harris, “Nucleation and Growth Mechanism of Silicalite-1 Nanocrystal During Molecularly Templated Hydrothermal Synthesis,” Ceramic Transactions, 137, 3-21 (2003).
- L. A. Pozhar, V. F. Almeida, Michael Z. Hu, “Virtual Processing of Advanced Nanomaterials,” Ceramic Transactions, 137, 101 (2003).
- J. Dong, E. A. Payzant, Michael Z. Hu, D. W. DePaoli, and Y.-S. Lin, “Synthesis of MFI-Type Zeolite Membranes on Porous α-Alumina Supports by Wet Gel Crystallization in the Vapor Phase,” Journal of Materials Science, 38 (5): 979‑985 (2003).
- W. R. Wilmarth, S. W. Rosencrance, D. T. Hobbs, C. M. Janzten, J. Laurient, W. L. Tamosaitis, A. J. Mattus, Michael Z. Hu, D. W. DePaoli, C. F. Weber, P. McGinnis, and S. Mattigod, “Aluminosilicate Formation in High Level Waste Evaporators: A Mechanism for Uranium Accumulation,” Proceedings of WM’02 Conference, February 24-28, 2002, Tucson, AZ.
- J. Dong, Michael Z. Hu, E. A. Payzant, T. R. Armstrong, P. F. Becher, “Grain Growth in Nanocrystalline Yttrium-Stabilized-Zirconia Thin Films Synthesized by Spin Coating of Polymeric Precursors,” J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 2, 161-169 (2002).
- Michael Z. Hu, D. W. DePaoli, and D. T. Bostick, “Dynamic Particle Growth of Aluminosilicate Zeolites,” ORNL/TM-2001/100, January 18, 2001.
- Michael Z. Hu, D. W. DePaoli, D. T. Bostick, C. Tsouris, and A. B. Walker, “Flow effect on Scaling/Deposition of Aluminosilicate Zeolites,” ORNL/TM-2001/235, October 31, 2001.
- T. Meek, Michael Z. Hu, M. J. Haire, “Semiconductor Properties of Uranium Oxides,” Proceedings of Waste Management 2001 Symposium, Tucson, Arizona, February 25 - March 1, 2001.
- S. Li, N. Xu, J. Shi, Michael Z.-C. Hu, and E. A. Payzant, “In-situ high-temperature X-ray diffraction studies of mixed-conducting perovskite-type oxides,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, 20, 1631-1633 (2001).
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, J. T. Zielke, C. H. Byers, J.-S. Lin, and M. T. Harris, “Probing the Early-Stage/Rapid Processes in Hydrolysis and Condensation of Metal Alkoxides,” Journal of Materials Science, 35, 1957-1971 (2000).
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, V. Kurian, E. A. Payzant, C. J. Rawn, and R. H. Hunt, “Wet Chemical Synthesis of Monodispersed Barium Titanate Particles — Hydrothermal Conversion of TiO2 Microspheres to Nanocrystalline BaTiO3,” Journal of Powder Technology, 110, 2-14 (2000).
- J. Dong, Y. S. Lin, Michael Z.-C. Hu, R. A. Peascoe, and E. A. Payzant, “Template Removal Associated Microstructural Development of Ceramic Supported MFI Zeolite Membranes,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 34, 241-253 (2000).
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, G. A. Miller, E. A. Payzant, and C. J. Rawn, “Wet Chemical Synthesis of Monodispersed Barium Titanate Particles — Homogeneous Coprecipitation of Inorganic Salts,” Journal of Materials Science, 35, 2927 (2000).
- Tsouris, C., D.W. DePaoli, J.T. Shor, Michael Z.-C. Hu, and T.-Y. Ying, "Electrocoagulation for Magnetic Seeding of Colloidal Particles," Colloids and Surfaces, 177, 227-237 (2000).
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, Jason T. Zielke, J.-S. Lin, and Charles H. Byers, "Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering Studies of Early-Stage Colloids Formation by Thermohydrolytic Polymerization of Aqueous Zirconyl Salt Solutions," Journal of Materials Research, 14, 103-113 (1999).
- A. Singhal, M. Harris, L. M. Toth, Michael Z-C. Hu, G. Beaucage, K. D. Keefer, J.-S. Lin, and J. R. Peterson, "Study of Growth Kinetics and Structure of Zirconium Hydrous Polymers in an Alkoxide System," by Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 246, 197-208 (1999).
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, R. D. Hunt, E. A. Andrew, and C. R. Hubbard, “Nanocrystallization and Phase Transformation in Monodispersed Ultrafine Zirconia Particles from Various Homogeneous Precipitation Methods,” Journal of American Ceramic Society, 82(9), 2313-20 (1999).
- S. Li, W. Jin, P. Huang, N. Xu, J. Shi, Michael Z.-C. Hu, and Y. H. Ma, “Perovskite-Related ZrO2-Doped SrCo0.4Fe0.6O3-δ Membrane for Oxygen Permeation,” AIChE Journal, 45, 276-284 (1999).
- S. Li, W. Jin, P. Huang, N. Xu, J. Shi, Y. Lin, Michael Z.-C. Hu, E. A. Payzant, “Comparison of Oxygen Permeability and Stability of Perovskite Type La0.2A0.8Co0.2Fe0.8O3-δ (A = Sr, Ba, Ca) Membranes,” Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Research, 38, 2963-2972 (1999).
- N. Xu, Z. Shi, Y Fan, J. Dong, J. Shi, and Michael Z.-C. Hu, “Effect of TiO2 Particle Size on Photocatalytic Degradation of Methylene Blue in Aqueous Suspensions,” Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Research, 38, 373-379 (1999).
- Michael Z.-C. Hu and M. Reeves, “Ligand-Grafted Biomaterials for Adsorptive Separations of Uranium in Solution,” AIChE Journal, 45(11), 2333-2345 (1999).
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, Michael T. Harris, and Charles H. Byers, "Nucleation and Growth for Synthesis of Nanometric Zirconia Particles by Forced Hydrolysis," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 198, 87-99 (1998).
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, Grant A. Miller, E. A. Payzant, C. J. Rawn, and C. R. Hubbard, “Chemical Synthesis of Monodispersed Ultrafine Composite Particles,” in Fifth Internaltional Conferences on Composites Engineering (edited by David Hui), Las Vegas. page 389-390, July5-11, 1998.
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, “Low-Tech Routes Yields High-Tech Ceramic Nanopowders,” in High-Tech Materials Alert 15(2), 1, February, 1998.
- J.-H. Koh, B. S. Broyles, H. Guan-Sajonz, Michael Z.-C. Hu, and G. Guiochon, "Consolidation and Column Performance of Silica and Alumina Packing Materials for Liquid Chromatography in a Dynamic Axial Compression Column," Journal of Chromatography A, 813, 223-238, 1998.
- Michael Z.‑C. Hu and Mark E. Reeves. "Biosorption of Uranium by Pseudomonas aeruginosa Strain CSU Immobilized in a Novel Matrix," Biotechnology Progress, 13, 60‑70 (1997).
- Michael Z.‑C. Hu, John M. Norman, Brendlyn D. Faison, and Mark E. Reeves. "Biosorption of Uranium by Pseudomonas aeruginosa Strain CSU: Characterization and Comparison Studies," Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 51, 237‑247 (1996).
- Z.‑C. Hu, Roger A. Korus, William E. Levinson, and Ronald L. Crawford. "Adsorption and Biodegradation of Pentachlorophenol by Polyurethane‑Immobilized Flavobacterium," Environmental Science and Technology, 28, 491‑496 (1994).
- Y.‑X., Gu, Z.‑C. Hu, and Roger Korus. "Effects of Adsorption on Mass Transfer in Polymeric Immobilization Materials," The Chemical Engineering Journal & The Biochemical Engineering Journal, 54, B1‑B8 (1994).
- Z.‑C. Hu, Roger A. Korus, and Keith E. Stomo. "Characterization of Immobilized Enzymes in Polyurethane Materials in a Dynamic Bed Reactor," Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 39, 289‑295 (1993).
- Z.‑C. Hu, Roger A. Korus, C. R. Venkataramu, and Ronald L. Crawford. "Deactivation Kinetics of Lignin Peroxidase from Phanerochaete Chrysosporium," Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 15, 567‑574 (1993).
- Hu, Z.-C., Xiao, R.-Z., and J. Shi. "Study of the rheological characteristics and mixing behavior of non-Newtonian slurry fluids with agitation technique," Journal of Nanking Institute of Chemical Technology, 12(1), 56-65 (1990).
(Selected list of patents)
- Michael Hu, John T. Simpson, Tolga Aytug, Mariappan Parans Paranthaman, and Matthew Sturgeon, US Patent 9,308,501 B2, “Super-surface selective nanomembranes providing simultaneous high permeation flux and high selectivity”, Date of Patent: April 12, 2016.
- US Patent US9,196,760B2, “Methods for producing complex films, and films produced thereby,” Date of Patent: Nov. 24, 2015.
- US Patent Application No. 14/110,222, signed assignment for the patent application on “Methods for Producing Complex Films, and Films Produced Thereby,” Aug. 4, 2015.
- Technology licensing/Commercialization Award (December 3, 2014): Michael Hu is a co-inventor of ORNL’s patented diatomaceous earth superhydrophobic coating technology on the execution of a new licensing agreement with Dry Surface Coatings LLC, comprised of a portfolio of 10 patents and patent applications. Other co-inventors include Brian D'Urso, Scott Hunter, Georgios Polyzos, Daniel Schaeffer, Tolga Aytug, Parans Paranthaman (CSD), Craig Blue (EESD), Jim Kiggans (MSTD), and John Simpson (retired).
- David W. DePaoli, Michael Z. Hu, Saed Mirzadeh, and John W. Clavier, US Patent “Inorganic Resins For Clinical Use of 213Bi Generators (for targeted cancer therapy),” US 7,914,766 B1, filed 2004-06-03, issued March 29, 2011.
- Michael Z. Hu and Igor Kosacki, “Design and Synthesis of Guest-Host Nanostructures to Enhance Ionic Conductivity across Nanocomposite Membranes.” US Patent US 7,641,997 B2, filed 2004-09-23, issued 2010-01-05. (Invention ERID 1369, S-101,969, elected for patent application on Feb 17, 2004)
- Michael Z. Hu, “Method For Fabricating Hafnia Films,” US Patent 7,258,745 B2, filed 2004-08-06, issued on Aug. 21, 2007.
- Michael Z. Hu, David W. DePaoli, Tanya Kuritz, and Ogbemi O. Omatete, “Production of Aligned Microfibers and Nanofibers and Derived Functional Monoliths (for biomolecular separations and DNA sequencing),” US Patent 7,255,781 (filed 2003-09-29, issued on Aug. 14, 2007). US Patent 20040217010, November 4, 2004.
- Michael Z. Hu, “Method for Making Fine and Ultrafine Spherical Particles of Zirconium Titanate and Other Mixed Oxide Systems,” US Patent Application Publication, US7049347, filed 2003-07-18, issued 2006-05-23.
- Michael Z. Hu and Clay Easterly, “Thermal Electrochemical Synthesis Method for Production of Stable Colloids of ‘Naked’ Metal Nanocrystals,” US Patent Application Publication US2006/0068026 A1 (March 30, 2006); Invention Disclosure 1423, S-105,018, patent filed to US Patent Office on June 16, 2005.
- Clay E. Easterly, Guy D. Griffin, Michael Z. Hu, and Arpad A. Vass, “Biocidal materials (Integrated Nanocrystal-Liposome System) for treatment against pathogens (Biological Warfare),” US20060280785, filed 2004-08-11.
- Thomas T. Meek and Michael Z.-C. Hu, “Fabricating electronic devices using actinide oxide semiconductor materials (depleted materials UxOy, PuxOy, and ThxOy),” ERID 0739 (S-92,612), US6730538, filed 2000-06-22, issued 2004-05-04.
- Michael Z. Hu and J. Dong, “Method for preparing nanocrystalline ceramic thin films,” US20040247791, filed 2003-06-03.
- J. Dong, Michael Z. Hu, and Edward A. Payzant, “Method for synthesizing zeolite membranes,” US20030228969, filed 2002-06-11.
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, “Sol-Gel Processing with Inorganic Metal Salt Precursors,” US Patent 6,806,295 B2, Oct. 19, 2004.
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, “Photobiomolecular Deposition of Metallic Particles and Films,” US Patent 6,162,278, Dec. 19, 2000.
- David W. DePaoli, Michael Z.-C. Hu, and Costas Tsouris, “Method for Production of Ultrafine Particles by Electrohydrodynamic Micromixing,” US Patent 6,265,025, (ERID 0645), issued in 2001.
- Michael Z.-C. Hu, “Methods for Producing Monodispersed Microsphere Particles of Barium Titanate,” US Patent 6,264,912, issued July 24, 2001.
National Transportation Research Center (NTRC)
Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS)
Spallation Neutron Source (SNS)
High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR)
Established membrane synthesis and membrane separation process evaluation laboratory.