Edgar Lara-Curzio is a Distinguished Scientist in the Energy Science & Technology Directorate. He currently directs ORNL's Fossil Energy & Carbon Management Program, and coordinates ORNL's engagement with programs in DOE's Office of the Under Secretary for Infrastructure (S3).
He received a B.Sc. degree in Engineering Physics from the Autonomous Metropolitan University (1986) and a Ph.D. in Materials Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (1992). He served as leader of the Mechanical Properties & Mechanics Group between 2000 and 2022, and as Director of the High Temperature Materials Laboratory between 2007 and 2012. In 2001 Lara-Curzio developed and implemented an Internship Program for Laboratory Technicians at ORNL, which created a pipeline for a new generation of technicians with the skills needed to support current and future missions of ORNL. In 2008 and 2009 Lara-Curzio co-chaired and chaired, respectively, the first two $1M+ United Way fundraising campaigns at ORNL.
Lara-Curzio has authored or co-authored more than 260 papers, 9 U.S. patents, and has given more than 50 invited presentations at national and international meetings. His area of expertise is the development and characterization of functional and structural materials and components for power generation, and for the conversion, transmission, storage and utilization of energy.
Lara-Curzio served as member of the Board of Directors of the American Ceramic Society (ACerS) between 2013 and 2016, and is a member of the External Advisory Board for the Institute for Materials at the Georgia Institute of Technology and a member of the Advisory Board of the Department of Materials Science & Engineering at the University of Alabama-Birmingham. Lara-Curzio is a Fellow of both ACerS and ASTM and a member of Alpha Sigma Mu the International Metallurgical Honorary Society.
Distinguished Graduate of the Autonomous Metropolitan University, Mexico City, Mexico (2019)
Five R&D100 Awards (2006, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2017)
2014 FLC Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer
Arthur Frederick Greaves-Walker Award from ACerS and the National Institute of Ceramic Engineers (2009)
Richard M. Fulrath Award from ACerS (2003)
Advanced Ceramics Award from ASTM (2002)
Four Awards of Appreciation from ASTM (1996, 1997, 1999, 2004)
Award of Merit from ASTM (2001);
ORNL Mentoring Award (2006)
Best R&D Leader Award at ORNL (2003)
1997 HENAAC Hispanic Engineer of the Year Award for Outstanding Technical Achievements; Medalla al Mérito Universitario (Summa-Cum Laude) from the Autonomous Metropolitan University (Mexico).
Trademarks and Patents
- E. Lara-Curzio, C.L., Cramer, A.M., Elliott, B.A., Fricke, P.K., Jain, R.R., Lowden, K. Nawaz, V.M., Rao, and M. J., Sandlin, “Compliant heat exchangers, heat pipes and methods for making same,” U.S. Patent No. 11,633,789 B2 (April 25, 2023).
- J-P Wang, Y. Jiang, C. A. Bridges, M. Brady, O. Rios, R. A. Meisner, L. F. Allard, E. Lara-Curzio, S. He, “Iron Nitride Magnetic Material Including Coated Nanoparticles,” U.S. Patent No. 11,195,644 (December 7, 2021)
- M. P. Brady, O. Rios, Y. Jiang, G. M. Ludtka, C. Bridges, J-P. Wang, X. Zhang, L. F. Allard, E. Lara-Curzio, "Applied Magnetic Field Synthesis and Processing of Iron Nitride Magnetic Materials, Application" U.S. Patent No. 10,961,615 (March 30, 2021)
- M. P. Brady, O. Rios, Y. Jiang, G. Ludtka, C. Bridges, L. Allard, E. Lara-Curzio, J-P Wang, X. Zhang, “Applied Magnetic Field Synthesis and Processing of Iron Nitride Magnetic Materials”, U.S. Patent No. 9,994,949 (June 12, 2018)
- W. Surdoval, E. Lara-Curzio, J. Stevenson, J. T. Muth, B. L. Armstrong, A. Shyam, R. M. Trejo, Y. Wang, Y. S. Chou, T. R. Shultz, “Engineered glass seals for solid-oxide fuel cells” U.S. Patent No. 9,564,643 B2 (Feb. 7, 2017)
- Lara-Curzio, K. An, J. O. Kiggans, N. J. Dudney, C. I. Contescu, F. S. Baker, B.L. Armstrong, “Lightweight, Durable Lead-Acid Batteries, U.S. Patent No. 8,445,138 B2E. (May 21, 2013 )
- Lara-Curzio, K. An, J. O. Kiggans, N. J. Dudney, C. I. Contescu, F. S. Baker, B.L. Armstrong, “Lightweight, Durable Lead-Acid Batteries, U.S. Patent No. 8,017,273T. (Sep. 13, 2011)
- M. Yonushonis, R. J. Stafford, E. Lara-Curzio and A. Shyam, “Apparatus, System and Method for Detecting Cracking within an Aftertreatment Device,” U.S. Patent No. 7,701,231E. (Apr. 20, 2010)
- Lara-Curzio, K. L. More, and W. Y. Lee, “Oxidation-Resistant Interfacial Coating for Fiber-Reinforced Ceramic,” U.S. Patent No. 6,322,889. (Nov. 27, 2001)