Craig A Blue
Craig A Blue
Director, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Programs
Dr. Craig Blue is the Director of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Programs for the Energy and Environmental Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. The Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Portfolio at ORNL represents significant DOE program investments in areas including the Advanced Manufacturing Office, Building Technologies Office, and Vehicle Technologies Office, and capitalizes on ORNL’s world-class user facilities such as the Spallation Neutron Source, Center for Nanophase Materials Science, Building Technologies Research and Integration Center, Carbon Fiber Technology Facility, Manufacturing Demonstration Facility, and the National Transportation and Research Center.
Craig's pioneering spirit brings a rich background as both a researcher and scientific leader to his new position. He has more than 21 years of experience in conducting research in materials and manufacturing technologies, has authored nearly 100 open literature publications, holds 15 U.S. patents, and has received multiple awards including 10 R&D 100 Awards. He has served by invitation on numerous scientific and technical review panels, committees, and convocations convened by the National Science Foundation, the Council on Competitiveness, Manufacturing USA, and National Academies of Sciences and Engineering. He is a Battelle Distinguished Inventor, Fellow of ASM International, holds faculty appointments at the University of Tennessee, University of North Texas, and the Colorado School of Mines.
In his most recent role, Craig served as the Chief Executive Officer of the Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation, an Institute within the White House Manufacturing USA initiative comprising of a public-private partnership to increase domestic production capacity, grow manufacturing, and create jobs across the US composite industry.
2015 UT-Battelle Distinguished Inventor for more than 14 career patents.
2014 UT Battelle Awards Night, Excellence in Science and Technology Transfer for the development of Big Area Additive Manufacturing.
2014 UT Battelle Awards Night, Director’s Award for Outstanding Team Accomplishment, for the development of Big Area Additive Manufacturing.
2014 Technology Commercialization Award in recognition of successful commercial license of an invention or software.
2013 Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer for Pulse Thermal Processing a technology for thermally processing thin film structures, allowing high-temperature processing on low-cost and temperature-sensitive substrates, such as plastics.
2012 UT Battelle Awards Night, Engineering Research and Development Award for exceptional R&D engineering accomplishments resulting in the establishment of unique, world-leading capabilities for demonstrating and facilitating implementation of alternative carbon fiber production technologies, thereby saving energy and promoting economic development.
2011 UT Battelle Awards Night, Team Exceptional Community Outreach Award for outstanding dedication in the mentoring of young people, through a complex engineering challenge, to be science and technology leaders.
2011 UT Battelle Awards Night, Excellence in Technology Transfer for development and licensing of AFA steels, a revolutionary new class of heat-resistant steels for higher-efficiency energy production and chemical process industry applications.
2010 Oak Ridge National Laboratory Industrial Partnerships Award for Outstanding Leadership of the Carbon Fiber Program.
2010 Gordon Battelle Prize for Technology Impact, “Low-cost Carbon Fiber and Composites.”
2009 Selected by the Board of Trustees of American Society of Metals International as a Fellow of the Society
2008 Selected to serve on the Review Panel at National Science Foundation, Advanced Materials and Manufacturing, Washington, D.C.
2007 Selected to serve on an Office of the Secretary of Defense Title Three review committee for a significant, $100 million investment in low-cost titanium.
2007 Selected to serve on the Review Panel at National Science Foundation, Advanced Materials and Manufacturing, Washington, D.C.
- Tekinalp, H.L., Kunc, V., Velez-Garcia, G.M., Duty, C.E., Love, L.J., Naskar, A.K., Blue, C.A., Ozcan, S. (2014) Highly oriented carbon fiber-polymer composites via additive manufacturing. Composites Science and Technology. 105: 144-150.
- Chen, W., Yamamoto, Y., Peter, W.H., Clark, M.B., Nunn, S.D., Kiggans, J.O., Muth, T.R., Blue, C.A., Williams, J.C., Akhtar, K. (2012) The investigation of die-pressing and sintering behavior of ITP CP-Ti and Ti-6Al-4V powders. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 541: 440-447.
- Chen, W., Yamamoto, Y., Peter, W.H., Gorti, S.B., Sabau, A.S., Clark, M.B., Nunn, S.D., Kiggans, J.O., Blue, C.A., Williams, J.C., Fuller, B., Akhtar, K. (2011) Cold compaction study of Armstrong Process (R) Ti-6Al-4V powders. Powder Technology. 214(2): 194-199.
- Sabau, A.S., Duty, C.E., Dinwiddie, R.B., Nichols, M., Blue, C.A., Ott, R.D. (2009) A radiative transport model for heating paints using high density plasma arc lamps. Journal of Applied Physics. 105(8).
- Samant A.N., Daniel C., Chand R.H., Blue C.A., Dahotre N.B. (2009) Computational approach to photonic drilling of silicon carbide. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 45(7-8): 704-713.
- Blau P.J., Jolly B.C., Qu J., Peter W.H., Blue C.A. (2007) Tribological investigation of titanium-based materials for brakes. Wear. 263: 1202-1211.
- Hinoki, T., Snead, L.L., Blue, C.A. (2005) Development of refractory armored silicon carbide by infrared transient liquid phase processing. Journal of Nuclear Materials. 347(3): 207-216.
- Ott R.D., Kadolkar P., Blue C.A., Cole A.C., Thompson G.B. (2004) The pulse thermal processing of nanocrystalline silicon thin-films. JOM. 56(10): 45-47.
- Rivard J.D.K., Sabau A.S., Blue C.A., Ohriner E.K., Jayaraman N. (2003) Thermophysical properties of roll-compacted nickel sheet for high-density infrared sheet fabrication. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A-Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science. 34A(12): 3043-3054.
- Ott, R.D., Blue, C.A., Santella, M.L., Blau, P.J. (2001) Tribological performance of a novel high wear resistant high SiAl-Si alloy weld overlay. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A-Vacuum Surfaces and Films. 19(4): 1399-1403.
- Ott R.D., Blue C.A., Santella M.L., Blau P.J. (2001) The influence of a heat treatment on the tribological performance of a high wear resistant high SiAl-Si alloy weld overlay. Wear. 251: 868-874.
- Sikka, V.K., Blue, C.A., Sklad, S.P., Deevi, S.C., Shih, H.R. (1998) Fabric cutting application of FeAl-based alloys. Materials Science and Engineering A-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing. 258(1-2): 325-330.
- Blue, C.A., Blue, R.A., Lin, R.Y., Lei, J.-F., Williams, W.D. (1996) Joining of Hastelloy X to Inconel 718 using an infrared process. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 58(1): 32-38.
- Blue C.A., Blue R.A., Lin R.Y. (1995) Microstructural evolution in joining of TiAl with a liquid Ti alloy. Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia. 32(1): 127-132.
- Warrier S.G., Blue C.A., Lin R.Y. (1993) Control of interfaces in Al-C fibre composites. Journal of Materials Science. 28(3): 760-768.
- C.E. Duty, C.J.C. Bennett, J.W. Moon, T.J. Phelps, C.A. Blue, Q. Dai, M.Z. Hu, I.N. Ivanov, G.E. Jellison, Jr., L.J. Love, R.D. Ott, C.M Parish, S. Walker, “Methods for Producing Complex Films, and Films Produced Thereby,” U.S. Patent 9,196,760, November 24, 2015.
- R.R. Dehoff, C.A. Blue, W.H. Peter, W. Chen, L.F. Aprigliano, “Nano-Composite Stainless Steel,” U.S. Patent, 9,080,229 B2, July 14, 2015.
- C. Daniel, C.A. Blue, R.Ott, “High throughput parallel backside contacting and periodic texturing for high-efficiency solar cells,” U.S. Patent 8,809,110, August 19, 2014.
- C.A. Blue, A. Clemens, C.E. Duty, D.C. Harper, R.D. Ott, J.D. Rivard, C.S. Murray, S.L. Murray, A.R. Klein, “High volume method of making low-cost, lightweight solar materials,” U.S. Patent 8,778,724, July 15, 2014.
- J.C. Farmer, F.M.G. Wong, J.J. Haslam, N. Yang, E.J. Lavernia, C.A. Blue, O.A. Graeve, R. Bayles, J.H. Perepezko, L. Kaufman, J. Schoenung, L. Ajdelstajn, “Corrosion Resistant Amorphous Metals and Methods of Forming Corrosion Resistant Amorphous Metals,” U.S. Patent No. 8,778,459 B2, July 15, 2014 and U.S. Patent No. 7,618,500, November 17, 2009.
- C.A. Blue, F. Wong, L.E. Aprigliano, P.G. Engleman, W.H. Peter, T.G. Rozgonyi, L. Ozdemir, “In-Situ Composite Formation of Damage Tolerant Coatings Utilizing Laser,” U.S. Patent No. 7,939,142, March 18, 2014.
- J.C. Farmer, F.M.G. Wong, J.J. Haslam, X.J. Ji, S.D. Day, C.A. Blue, J.D. Rivard, L.F. Aprigliano, L.K. Kohler, R. Bayles, E.J. Lemieux, N. Yang, J.H. Perepezko, L. Kaufman, A. Heuer, E.J. Lavernia, “Compositions of corrosion-resistant Fe-based amorphous metals suitable for producing thermal spray coatings, “ U.S. Patent 8,524,053, September 3, 2013 and U.S. Patent 8,480,864, July 9,2013.
- C.A. Blue, A. Goyal, “Composite Biaxially Textured Substrates using Ultrasonic Consolidation” U.S. Patent No. 8,424,745, April 23, 2013 and U.S. Patent No. 8,210,420, July 3, 2012.
- C.A. Blue, F. Wong, L.F. Aprigliano, P.G. Engleman, W.H. Peter, T.G. Rozgonyi, L. Ozdemir, “In-situ composite formation of damage tolerant coatings utilizing laser,” U.S. Patent 7,939,142, May 10, 2011.
- J.T. Simpson, C.A. Blue, J.O. Kiggans, Jr., “Article Coated with Flash Bonded Superhydrophobic Particles,” U.S. Patent No. 7,754,279, July 13, 2010.
- .M. Howard, C.A. Blue, “Process of Preparing Metal Parts to be Heated by Means of Infrared Radiance,” U.S. Patent No. 7,544,256, June 9, 2009.
- R.D. Ott, C.A. Blue, N.J. Dudney, D.C. Harper, “Pulse Thermal Processing of Functional Materials,” U.S. Patent No. 7,220, 936, May 22, 2007.
- V.K. Sikka, C.A. Blue, E.K. Ohriner, “Rapid Infrared Heating of a Surface,” U.S. Patent No. 6,667,111, December 23, 2003 and U.S. Patent No. 6,437,292, August 20, 2002 and U.S. Patent No. 6,432,555, August 13, 2002.
- C.A. Blue, V.K. Sikka, E.K. Ohriner, “Method of High-Density Foil Fabrication,” U.S. Patent No. 6,663,826, December 16, 2003.
- E.K. Ohriner C.A. Blue, “Method of Fabricating a Homogeneous Wire of Inter-Metallic Alloy,” U.S. Patent No. 6,238,498, May 29, 2001.
- N.R. Quick, T. Li, R. Malanga, V.K. Sikka, C.A. Blue, “Apparatus and Method for Sealing Fluid Filter by Infrared Heating,” U.S. Patent No. 6,180,909, January 30, 2001.
- V.K. Sikka, C.A. Blue, E.K. Ohriner, “Rapid infrared heating of a surface,” U.S. Patent No. 6,174,388, January 16, 2001.
- D.E. Holcomb, S. Viswanathan, C.A.Blue, J.B. Wilgen “Material forming using a directed droplet stream,” U.S. Patent No. 6,027,699, February 22, 2000.
- V.K. Sikka, G.G. Whitson, C.A. Blue, “Method of using infrared radiation for assembling a first component with a second component,” U.S. Patent No. 6,002,110, December 14, 1999.