Brian B Anderson
Brian B Anderson
Group Leader, Nuclear Security Advanced Technologies
Dr. Brian Anderson leads the Nuclear Security Advanced Technologies Group in the Nuclear Security and Isotope Technology Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and holds a joint appointment as an associate professor at the UT Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Graduate Education. Dr. Anderson leads a team of scientists and engineers who conduct nuclear security-related materials and process research and development. He also serves as the manager of ORNL’s Ultra-trace Forensic Science Center. As Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-PI, he has managed numerous scientific programs for the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration and was awarded a 2014 ORNL Laboratory Directed Research and Development project probing the basic chemistry and physics of hydrated uranyl compounds. He has also developed advanced analytical methods for materials, including innovations in the use of high-resolution electron microscopy, optical spectroscopy and methods, and chemical sensors.
Prior to joining ORNL, Dr. Anderson held the positions of Senior Fellow Scientist at the Savannah River National Laboratory, Nonproliferation Technologies Section; and Principal Research Scientist at Cargill, Incorporated.He earned his doctorate degree in Analytical Chemistry from The University of Washington in 1996.
- Vibrational Properties of Anhydrous and Partially Hydrated Uranyl Fluoride, M. C. Kirkegaard, J. Langford, J. Steill, B. B. Anderson, and A. J. Miskowiec, Journal of Chemical Physics, 2017, 146, 024502 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4973430).
- Quasielastic Neutron Scattering with in-situ Humidity Control: Water Dynamics in Uranyl Fluoride. A. J. Miskowiec, M. C. Kirkegaard, E. Mamontov, K. Herwig, L. D. Trowbridge, B. B. Anderson, 2016, Journal of Applied Physics, 19 (9) (doi: 10.1063/1.4943164).
- Time-dependent Water Dynamics in Hydrated Uranyl Fluoride. A. Miskowiec, B. B. Anderson, A. Huq, E. Mamontov, K. Herwig, L. D. Trowbridge, A. Rondinone 2016, Molecular Physics, 114, 61–71 (doi: 10.1080/00268976.2015.1084056).
- Structural Phase Transitions and Water Dynamics in Uranyl Fluoride Hydrates A. J. Miskowiec, M. C. Kirkegaard, A. Huq, E. Mamontov, K. Herwig, L. D. Trowbridge, A. Rondinone, B. B. Anderson, 2015, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 119 (49), 11900–10 (doi: 10.1021/acs.jpca.5b09296).
- The Simultaneous Determinations of 235U and 239Pu Using Delayed Neutron Activation Analysis, R. J. Kapsimalis, D. C. Glasgow, B. B. Anderson S. Landsberger, 2013, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 298 (3), 1721–26.
- Method for Determining Cellular Response to Stimuli, (2007), Brian B. Anderson, John T. McDonald, Sean Smith, Allen Muroski, Var St. Jeor, U.S Patent Number 7,279,338
- Processes for Evaluating Agricultural and/or Food Materials; Applications; and Products, 2003, (2004), John T. McDonald, Brian B. Anderson, R. Gene Kaercher and Sean A. Smith, Patent/Publication number: WO 02084262 A2, EP 1381849 A2
- Surface Plasmon Resonance Spectroscopy Sensor and Methods for Using Same, (2002), B.B. Anderson and S.E. Nave, U.S. Patent Number 6,466,323 (patent licensed for commercial development)
- Analytical Sensor Using Grating Light Reflection Spectroscopy, (1997), B.B. Anderson, A. M. Brodsky, and L. W. Burgess, U. S. Patent Number 5,610,708
- Analytical Sensor Using Grating Light Reflection Spectroscopy, (1996), B.B. Anderson, A. M. Brodsky, and L. W. Burgess, U. S. Patent Number 5,502,560