Skip to main content

Visa Information

Important:  If you are participating in an experiment or expect to be reimbursed by ORNL you MUST enter the U.S. under a BUSINESS-TYPE VISA.  Tourists cannot conduct business or receive money at ORNL.

Individuals arriving in the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program must verify before leaving the port of entry that they have received the visa waiver-business (VW-B) stamp and not the visa waiver-tourist (VW-T) stamp.

The U. S. Department of State provides information on traveling to the United States (State Dept (   In some cases in may take several months to receive a Visa.  Please refer to the following site for additional information and expected wait times. (Visa Wait Times).

The Visa Waiver Program requires a visitor to have a machine readable passport, otherwise, you cannot travel under VWP and you must obtain a visa in your valid (non readable) passport for entry into the United States. The following link provides a list of the countries currently eligible for the Visa Waiver Program.

  • ESTA Requirement:  ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) is an online application system to pre-screen travelers before they are allowed to board an airplane or ship bound for the United States. Starting January 12, 2009, any person entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program is required to hold an approved ESTA Travel Authorization. Due to heightened security regulations, the same visitors must apply for a Travel Authorization in advance.