Skip to main content
Publication

High-Fidelity Heat Deposition Analysis for the High Flux Isotope Reactor

by
Publication Type
Conference Proceeding

Heat deposition analyses were conducted for the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR) highly enriched uranium (HEU) and low enriched uranium (LEU) cores with a representative target loading and explicit involute fuel plate representation. The analyses were focused on determining on a fine mesh the heat deposited in various regions of the fuel elements: fuel plates (filler, clad, fuel meat); water channels between fuel plates; and sidewalls of the fuel elements. The results show that for the HEU core, approximately 94% of the power is deposited in the fuel regions at beginning and end of cycle, and the other 6% is distributed throughout other reactor regions: flux trap target, control element, and reflector. For the LEU core, approximately 96% of the power is deposited in the fuel regions at beginning of cycle. This paper summarizes the computational approach used and the results for the in-depth heat deposition analyses of HFIR HEU and LEU models, with explicit fuel plate representation, which have not been conducted prior to this work.