Tom S Geer
Technical Staff - Metallography
Tom received his Associate Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Pellissippi State in June 1987.
Upon receiving his degree, he worked at Pratt and Whitney Aircraft in West Palm Beach, FL as a Project Material Control Analyst from June 1987 until April 1990. In September 1990, Tom accepted a position at the Y-12 plant as a Health Physics Technician where he worked until late December 1991.
Tom joined the Materials Science and Technology Division at ORNL in January 1992 as a technician in the Metallography Group. He has worked on various projects and materials throughout his career. In 1995, he worked in collaboration with Dr. Pete Angelini with the ATF and FBI on 2 major projects. In working with Dr. Lynn Boatner, Tom’s metallographic images have been on many publications, calendars and journals. Throughout his career, he has obtained funding for equipment upgrades for the Metallography Laboratory. In 2009-2010, he was chosen to be the lead technician in the design and layout of the metallography laboratory as you see it today.
In August of 2015, Tom accepted the position of Technical Staff of the Metallography Group in the Materials Science and Technology Division at ORNL.
Associate Degree - Mechanical Engineering Technology
Pellissippi State Community College - July 1987
09 / 1990 - Present
UT - Battelle, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
Technical Staff - Metallography Group
- Overseeing and Managing the daily operations of the Metallography Laboratory
- Providing various metallographic specimen preparation services to customers, including sectioning, polishing, etching, micrography, and microhardness testing of specimens.
- Developing new metallographic techniques and procedures for advance materials.
- Working with various chemicals daily (Nitric Acid, Hydrochloric Acid and Hydrofluoric Acid).
- Acting RCRA Satellite Accumulation Area (SAA) custodian
- Ordering consumables and equipment for the metallography laboratory.
- Providing input to the metallography laboratory as the Lab Space Manager (LSM).
- Sound technical background with a wide range of computer skills. Self-motivated.
06 / 1990 - 08 / 1990
Hertel Cutting Technology, Oak Ridge, TN.
CNC Machinist - Carbide Machining Group
- Produced carbide cutting inserts
- Interpreted blueprints and programmed production equipment with E-Z Cam Computer
- Provided coordination with engineering and management to eliminate production problems
07 / 1987 - 04 / 1990
Pratt and Whitney Aircraft, West Palm Beach, FL
Senior Material Analyst - Project Material Control Group
- Initiated request for material and finished parts in support for experimental engine programs
- Coordinated with engineering, purchasing, fabrication shop and material control laboratory
- Recorded all transactions including record maintenance to eliminate problems and part shortages