Michael P Brady
Michael P Brady
Distinguished Research Staff
- Materials Science and Engineering
- B.S., Virginia Tech, 1986
- M.S., Virginia Tech, 1990
- Ph.D., University of Florida, 1993
- 1998-present - Distinguished R&D Staff Member, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN (R&D Staff Member 1998-2004; Senior R&D Staff Member 2004-2010): Joint Member of Alloying Behavior and Design Group/Corrosion Science and Technology Group, Materials Science and Technology Division.
- 1997 - ORISE Postdoctoral Fellow, Oak Ridge National Laboratory Oak Ridge, TN: Alloying Behavior and Design Group/Corrosion Science and Technology Group, Metals and Ceramics Division.
- 1993-1996 - National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH: Environmental Durability Branch, Materials Division.
- Development of High-Temperature Alloys for Power Generation Applications
- Oxidation of Multi-Phase Materials
- Oxidation/Nitridation/Carburization Reactions as a Synthesis Approach
- Surface Engineering for Functional Materials
- Film Formation on Magnesium
- ASM International
- NACE International
- 2018 TMS LMD Magnesium Technology Award - Best Poster (Team Lead)
- 2016 Fellow, ASM International
- 2015 ASME Turbo Expo, Microturbines, Turbochargers & Small Turbomachines Committee Best Paper Award (Team Member)
- 2015 Materials Performance Corrosion Innovation of the Year Award-Materials Design Category for Alumina-Forming Austenitic Alloy Family (Team Lead)
- 2015 ORNL Inventor of the Year Award
- 2015 TMS Brimacombe Medalist Award
- 2015 Journal of Nuclear Materials Best Paper Award (2013-2014) (Team Member)
- 2014 Best Poster Exhibit Award, SAE World Congress and Exhibition for Cast Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels (Team Member)
- 2012 Federal Lab Consortia Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer for Materials for a Low-Cost, Clean Cookstove (with Envirofit International and Colorado State University) (ORNL Team Lead).
- 2011 ORNL Director’s Award Outstanding Team Accomplishment for AFA stainless Steels (ORNL Team of the Year Award, Team Lead).
- 2011 Excellence in Technology Transfer Award (ORNL Team Award, Team Lead) for Development and Licensing of Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels (Team Lead).
- ORNL Significant Event Award Alumina-forming Austentic (AFA) license agreement with Carpenter Technologies, 2011(Team Lead).
- 2009 R&D 100 Award for Development of Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels (Team Lead).
- ORNL Significant Event Research Award for Development of Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels, 2007 (Team Lead).
- ORNL Significant Event Research Award for Development of Nitrided Metallic Bipolar Plates, 2004 (Team Lead).
- Top Ten (#3) Accomplishment DOE Fuel Cell Program 2003.
- Distinguished Poster Award Gordon Research Conference on High-Temperature Corrosion, July 1999.
- NASA Space Act Board Award, 1999.
- NASA Tech Brief Award, 1996.
- Two Papers on the 1994 NASA HITEMP Conference Ten Best Paper List, 1994.
- Alpha Sigma Mu Materials Engineering Honor Society, 1993.
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 1992.
- International Metallographic Symposium Student Poster Presentation Awards, 1985 and 1992.
- Corrosion Considerations in Bio-Oil Processing.
- Understanding Protective Film Formation on Magnesium Alloys (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsami.7b10750), (http://corrosionjournal.org/doi/10.5006/2255?code=nace-prem-site), (http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/164/7/C367.short), (http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/161/9/C395.short), (http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/161/6/C302.short), (http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/162/4/C140.short).
- Synthesis of Non Rare Earth Magnet Materials.
- Materials Issues for Clean Cookstoves for the Developing World, Final Theiss Brady cookstove DOE review 2015. Open Access Paper http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0973082616303672
- Synthesis and Development of Corrosion-Resistant Nitride Surfaces for PEM Fuel Cell Bipolar Plates.
- Novel Synthesis Techniques to Produce Nano/Micro Composite Surface Structures.
- Development of Creep-Resistant, Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels for High-Temperature Structural Use.
- Fundamentals of Multi-Phase Material Oxidation.
- Interfacial Reactions of Metal-Fluid Systems at Extreme Conditions (focus on water vapor effects on alloy oxidation).
- Development of High-Temperature, Ductile Chromium-Base alloys.
- Alloy Development and Oxidation Behavior of Titanium Aluminide Structural Alloys and Coatings.
- Google Scholar link to papers and abstracts
- ISI Researcher I.D. Link to Web of Science Papers and Abstracts
Selected Journal Publications:
- (Author/Co-Author of >100 journal and conference publications, 15 issued U.S. Patents, and 5 pending US Patents)
Selected Archival Journal Papers: (Please see CV and/or Google Scholar, Web of Science, Scopus, ORCID links above)
1) M. P. Brady, G. M. Ludtka, G. M. Ludtka, G. Muralidharan, D. M. Nicholson, O. Rios, Y. Yamamoto, “Magnetic Field Annealing For Improved Creep Resistance”, U.S. Patent No. 9,217,187 (December 22, 2015).
2) M.W. Defoort, B.D. Wilson, N. Lorenz, M.P. Brady, A. Marchese, and D.D. Miller-Lionberg, US Patent 8,899,222 “Cook Stove Assembly” (Dec 2, 2014).
3) Y. Yamamoto, G. Muralidharan, and M.P. Brady, US Patent 8,815,146 “Alumina Forming Iron Base Superalloy” (Aug 26, 2014).
4) G. Muralidharan, Y. Yamamoto, and M.P. Brady, US Patent 8,431,072 “Cast Alumina Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels” (April 30, 2013).
5) M.P. Brady, M.L. Santella, Y. Yamamoto, C.T. Liu, US Patent 7,754,144 “High Nb, Ta, and Al creep- and oxidation-resistant austenitic stainless steel “ (July 13, 2010).
6) Y. Yamamoto, M.L. Santella, M.P. Brady, P.J. Maziasz, and C.T. Liu, U.S. Patent No. 7,754,305 "High Mn austenitic stainless steel" (July 13, 2010).
7) M.P. Brady, B.A. Pint, C.T. Liu, P.J. Maziasz, Y. Yamamoto, Z.P. Lu, US Patent 7,744,813 “Oxidation resistant high creep strength austenitic stainless steel” (June 29, 2010).
8) M.P. Brady, B. Yang, and P.J. Maziaz, US Patent 7829194 “Iron-based alloy and nitridation treatment for PEM fuel cell bipolar plates” (November 9, 2010).
9) M.P. Brady, J.A. Horton, and J.M. Vitek, US 7,683,296 “Adjusting alloy compositions for selected properties in temperature limited heaters” (March 23, 2010).
10) J.M. Vitek, M.P. Brady, and J.A. Horton, US Patent 7,597,147 “Temperature limited heaters using phase transformation of ferromagnetic material”, (October 6, 2009).
11) M.P. Brady, H. Wang, and J.A. Turner, “Surface Modified Stainless Steels For PEM Fuel Cell Bipolar Plates“, U.S. Patent 7,247,403 (July 24, 2007).
12) M.P. Brady, J. H. Schneibel, B.A. Pint, P.J. Maziasz “Corrosion Resistant Metallic Bipoar Plates” U.S. Patent 7,211,346 (May 1, 2007).
13) C.T. Liu, M.P. Brady, J.H. Zhu, and P.F. Tortorelli, "Dual-Phase Cr-Ta Alloys for Structural Applications", U.S. Patent 6,245,164 (June 12, 2001).
14) M.P. Brady, J.L. Smialek, and W.J. Brindley, "Two-Phase (TiAl + TiCrAl) Coating Alloys for Titanium Aluminides", U.S. Patent 5,837,387 (November 17, 1998).
15) M.P. Brady, J.L. Smialek, and W.J. Brindley, "Oxidation-Resistant Ti-Al-Fe Alloy Diffusion Barrier Coatings", U.S. Patent 5,776,617 (July 7, 1998).
1) J-P Wang, Y Jiang, C. Bridges, M.P. Brady, O. Rios, R. Meisner, L. Allard, and E. Lara-Curzio, “Iron Nitride Magnetic Material Including Coated Nanoparticles”.
2) M. P. Brady, O. Rios, Y. Jiang, G. Ludtka, C. Bridges, L. Allard, E. Lara-Curzio, J-P Wang, X. Zhang, “Applied Magnetic Field Synthesis and Processing of Iron Nitride Magnetic Materials”.
3) E. Lara-Curzio, J-W. Moon, M. P. Brady, C. Bridges, L. Allard, O. Rios S.G. Sankar, and B. Zande, “Low-Cost Precursor for Synthesis of High Coercivity Fe-N Magnet Powders”.
4) M.P. Brady, K. Banta, M. DeFoort, J. Mizia, Y. Yamamoto, N. Lorenz, “Corrosion-Resistant Alloy and Applications”
5) Y. Yamamoto, B.A. Pint, M.P. Brady, ORNL invention disclosure “Corrosion and Creep Resistant High Cr FeCrAl Alloys”