Lora B Meadows
Lora B Meadows
Post Master's Research Associate
Graduate Certificate, Geospatial Information Science (2015)
MS, Geography, Marshall University (2015)
BA, Geography, Marshall University (2011)
Geospatial Information Science
Research Experience and Interests
Ms. Meadows joined the Geographic Information Science and Technology Group in September of 2015. She has worked on the Population Distribution and Dynamics Team, focusing on settlement mapping initiatives. She assists in the collection and development of data for projects, such as the Land Scan HD project. Also, Lora team is working in an Image Quality group. Here she assists in developing, testing, and evaluation of Image Quality products to find ways of creating more usable or visible imagery by using modeling applications, machine learning, and other various components. Lora is a member of the Urban Dynamics Institute (UDI) and is an active member of American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS), where she serves as Councilperson for the ASPRS Mid-South Regional Board.
Ms. Meadows had prior work experience as the Wayne County, West Virginia Assessor’s Mapping Assistant where she was responsible for collection, development, maintenance, and interpretation of public data for a variety of interested parties ranging from individuals to natural resource corporations. She utilized historical documentation, surveyor and engineering drafts and maps, AutoCAD, ESRI ArcMap, and several other sources and programs to complete inquiries for tax and research purposes.
Lora is interested in using remote sensing and GIS for various applications including Crisis Mapping and Emergency Management. She is also interested in topics ranging from Unmanned Aerial Systems, Data Sciences, and Machine Learning. She is interested in blending cultural knowledge and geospatial techniques to incorporate solutions tailored to affected populations. Other interests include, studying LiDAR, infrared, thermal, and Hyperspectral/Multispectral imagery.
12/2016 – Present, Councilperson for the Mid-South Regional Board of the American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
10/2016 – Present, Member of American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
09/2016 – Present, Member of the Urban Dynamics Institute
03/2016 - Present, Post Masters Research Associate, Oak Ridge National Lab, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
09/2015 – 03/2016, Advanced Short Term Research Opportunity Participant, Oak Ridge National Lab, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
05/2015 – 09/2015, Wayne County Assessors Mapping Assistant, Wayne, West Virginia
01/2013 – 05/2015, Teaching Assistant, Geography Department, Marshall University, Huntington West Virginia
01/2009 – 05/2009, Primary School Arabic Language Teacher Pilot Program Member, Arabic Club of Marshall University, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia
• Graduate Certificate, Geographic Information Science, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia (2015)
• Certified Storm Spotter, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, Huntington, West Virginia (2014)
• President, Gamma Theta Upsilon, National Geography Honors Society, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia (2010-2014)
• Honors Scholar Award, Outstanding Geography Honors Student, Marshall University Honors College, Huntington, West Virginia (2011)
• President, Marshall University Meteorology Club, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia (2010)
• Co-Founder of Marshall University Meteorology Club, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia (2010)
• Vice President, Arabic Club of Marshall University, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia (2009-2010)
• Co-Founder Arabic Club of Marshall University, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia (2009)
• National Scholars Honor Society, Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia (2006)
• Boone, A., Hughes, D., Meadows, L., Park, B.H., Safi, K., Weaver, J., Algorithm Description Document For Qcloud: Machine Learning Atmospheric Cloud Detection Module. (2016)
• Meadows, Lora Beth, "A comprehensive study of the historical Blue Sulphur Hotel Resort through remote sensing, photogrammetry and GIS" (2015). Theses, Dissertations and Capstones. Paper 936.
• Meadows, L., Law, K., Favors, J., Cyr, G., Dahlgren, R., Freund, F. T. (2009), Lightning Initiation by Columns of Positively Charged Air Rising from the Ground, Eos Trans. AGU, 90(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract AE43B-0281