John D Budai
Distinguished R&D Staff
Education and Training:
- Ph.D., Physics, Materials Science, Cornell University, Ithaca NY, 1982
- M.S., Physics, Cornell University, Ithaca NY, 1979
- A.B., Physics, Math, Dartmouth College, Hanover NH, 1974
- 2006-present, Distinguished R&D Staff, Materials Science & Technology Division, ORNL.
- 2011-2013, Group leader, X-ray and Neutron Scattering and Microscopy, Materials Science & Technology Division, ORNL.
- 1997-2006, Senior Research Staff, Solid State & Condensed Matter Division, ORNL.
- 1986-1997, Research Staff Member, Solid State Division, ORNL.
- 1984-1986, Eugene P. Wigner Fellowship, Solid State Division, ORNL.
- 1982-1984, Postdoctoral Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ.
Research Experience and Interests:
- Development of new x-ray and neutron scattering techniques exploiting synchrotron and spallation sources for microstructural studies of advanced functional materials.
- X-ray and neutron scattering studies, coupled with first-principles calculations, of impact of anharmonic lattice dynamics and vibrational entropy on phase stability and metal-insulator transitions in metal oxides.
- Understanding structural mechanisms controlling photoluminescence in a new class of highefficiency nanoribbon phosphors for wide-spectrum lighting applications.
- Co-development of synchrotron x-ray polychromatic microdiffraction and nondestructive 2D and 3D structural microscopy with submicron spatial resolution.
- Development of new synthesis techniques, including original work demonstrating highlyaligned epitaxial oxide superconducting films on textured metal substrates for high criticalcurrent applications (origin of RABiTS).
- Synthesis and microstructure of semiconductor and magnetic nanocrystals formed by ion implantation, leading to techniques for controlling sizes, phase and orientation.
- Ion-beam synthesis of aligned icosahedral quasicrystals, and x-ray identification and analysis of novel phason defects.
UT-Battelle Distinguished Researcher, 2015.
Fellow: American Physical Society, 2007.
Co-Scientific Director, National School on Neutron & X-ray Scattering, 2009-present.
Approximately 64 invited oral presentations at national and international meetings.
NSLS-II, Proposal Review Panel for Structural Science, 2014 - present.
Mentor, ORNL Materials Science new employee program, 2009 - 2011.
Advanced Light Source Proposal Review Panel for Microdiffraction, (LBNL), 2006- present.
Center for Nanoscale Materials Proposal Evaluation Board (Argonne), 2006- present.
Reviewer for several DOE SBIR, Early Career and University Program, and Army Proposals.
Organizer and Lead, Advanced Photon Source Upgrade Proposal Committee “Submicron & 3D X-ray diffraction,” Selected as A1, Very Strongly Recommended, 2010-2011.
Member, UT-ORNL Advisory Committee for Joint Institute for Advanced Materials (JIAM).
Invited Lecturer, National School on Neutron and X-ray Scattering, 2010 - present.
Elected Member, Advanced Photon Source Users Steering Committee, 2000 - 2003.
Proposal Review Committee ORNL SEED Money Fund (LDRD), 2000-2002.
R&D 100 Award for textured epitaxial superconductors, 1999.
Department of Energy; Energy100 Award, 2001.
Materials Research Society Trophy Award- Best Manuscript, Fall 2004.
American Museum of Science and Energy Technological Achievement Award, 1999.
Symposia Organizer, American Physical Society, Nanocrystals, 1998.
Lockheed Martin NOVA Award, 1997.
Five US patents licensed to several companies (American Superconductor Corp., 3M, Oxford Superconducting Technology, Midwest Superconductivity Inc, CCVD Microcoating Technologies, EURUS Technologies). Corresponding foreign patents issued in Europe, Japan and Canada.
J. D. Budai, D. K. Christen, A. Goyal, Q. He, D.M. Kroeger, D.F. Lee, F.A. List, D.P. Norton, M. Paranthaman, B.C. Sales, and E.D. Specht, “High Tc YBCO superconductor deposited on biaxially textured Ni substrate” Oct 19, 1999, U.S. Patent 5,968,877.
A. Goyal, J.D. Budai, D.M. Kroeger, D.P. Norton, E.D. Specht, and D.K. Christen, “Structures having enhanced biaxial texture”, Sept 28, 1999, U.S. Patent 5,958,599.
A. Goyal, J.D. Budai, D.M. Kroeger, D.P. Norton, E.D. Specht, and D.K. Christen, “Structures having enhanced biaxial texture and method of fabricating same”, April 27, 1999, U.S. Patent 5,898,020.
A. Goyal, J.D. Budai, D.M. Kroeger, D.P. Norton, E.D. Specht, and D.K. Christen, “Structures having enhanced biaxial texture and method of fabricating same”, April 21, 1998, U.S. Patent 5,741,377.
A. Goyal, J.D. Budai, D.M. Kroeger, D.P. Norton, E.D. Specht, and D.K. Christen, “Structures having enhanced biaxial texture and method of fabricating same”, April 14, 1998, U.S. Patent 5,739,086.