Postdoctoral Research Associate - Water Resource Science and Engineering
Dr. Chien-Yung Tseng is a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Water Resource Science and Engineering Group under Environmental Sciences Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). His research at ORNL focuses on hydropower and hydrokinetic energy, including designing a reliable testing methodology for hydropower optimization, resilience, and sustainability.
Before joining ORNL, Chien-Yung completed his Ph.D. in Water Resources Engineering and Science under the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His Ph.D. work focused on the interfacial gas transfer process and sediment dynamics in vegetated flows. He conducted multi-scale laboratory experiments with image/video analysis, theoretical modeling, and statistical analysis to understand and integrate these complex, nonlinear physical mechanisms, helping people develop better restoration designs and precautions under various flow scenarios. His research won the Best Young Professional Award at The 9th International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics organized by International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research (IAHR).
He also received a B.S. in Physics at National Tsing Hua University and an M.S. in Applied Mechanics (Fluid Mechanics) at National Taiwan University, both in Taiwan, where he is originally from. His M.S. thesis investigated the non-hydrostatic pressure effect of plunging hyperpycnal plumes on different continental slopes via numerical modeling.
- Tseng, C. Y. and Tinoco, R. O. (2022). From substrate to surface: A turbulence-based model for gas transfer across sediment-air-water interfaces in vegetated streams, Water Resources Research, 58(1), e2021WR030776, doi: 10.1029/2021WR030776
- Tseng, C. Y. and Tinoco, R. O. (2021). A two-layer turbulence-based model to predict suspended sediment concentration in flows with aquatic vegetation, Geophysical Research Letters, 48(3), e2020GL091255, doi: 10.1029/2020GL091255
- Lin, Y. F., Tseng, C. Y., Sargent, S. L. (2020). User’s manual for the portable thermal response test device, Technical Report, Illinois State Geological Survey, Prairie Research Institute, Circular no. 603, http://hdl.handle.net/2142/107820
- Tseng, C. Y. and Tinoco, R. O. (2020). A model to predict surface gas transfer rate in streams based on turbulence production by aquatic vegetation, Advances in Water Resources, 143, 103666, doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2020.103666
- Tseng, C. Y. and Chou, Y. J. (2018). Nonhydrostatic simulation of hyperpycnal river plumes on sloping continental shelves: flow structures and nonhydrostatic effect, Ocean Modelling, 124, 33-47, doi: 10.1016/j.ocemod.2018.02.003