Brenda A Smith
Brenda A Smith
Ph.D., Inorganic Chemistry University of Tennessee December 2009
B.S., Chemistry Kent State University May 2005
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, USA Nanophosphor Synthetic Chemist (Research Staff) December 2012 – present
• Develop highly luminescent phosphors emitting in the ultraviolet (UV) to short-wavelength infrared region that exhibit long after-glow decay rates and/or can be solar activated. • Design novel UV and near-infrared powder-based scintillating materials as a wide-area assessment sensor for alpha, beta, gamma, and neutron radiation contamination. • Material preparation experience in sol-gel and aerogel chemistry, combustion synthesis, spray pyrolysis, precipitation, hydrothermal, and solid-state techniques. • DOE Radiological Worker II experience. • Work has led to two public releases, one ORNL report, and 2 unclassified & 12 classified invention disclosures. • Mentor undergraduate students (1 student in Fall 2014, 2 students in Spring 2015, 3 students in Summer 2015, 1 student in Fall 2015 and Spring 2016). • Write scientific reports and research proposals. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, USA Intelligence Community Post–doctoral Research Fellow March 2010 – Dec. 2012 • Developed metalized dielectric aerogel materials for a wide-array of applications. • Designed photoluminescent and radioluminescent powder-based materials. • Work resulted in one patent application. • Gained instrumental experience. Department of Energy Radiological I and II Training 2013 – present
1. Russo, J.; Litz, M.; Williams, R.; Smith, B.; Moyers, R. “A radioluminescent nuclear battery using volumetric configuration: 63 Ni solution/ZnS:Cu,Al/InGaP. ” Applied Radiation Isotope, 2017, 130, 66-74.
2. Glasgow, D. C.; Lewis, L. A.; Smith, B. A.; Moyers, R. L.; Thompson, C. V.; Montgomery, F. C. “ Scintillating Phosphor Spray for the Detection of Tc-99. ” Oak Ridge National Laboratory Report 2015,i Pub ID: 44859.
3. Hunter, S. C.; Smith, B. A.; Hoffmann, C. M.; Wang, X.; Chen, Y-S.; McIntyre, G. J.; Xue, Z. L. “Intermolecular Interactions in Solid-State Metalloporphyrins and Their Impacts on Crystal and Molecular Structures.” Inorganic Chemistry 2014, 53, 11552-62.
4. Chen, P.; Dougan, B. A.; Zhang, X.; Y. D.; Wu, Y. D.; Xue, Z. L. “Reactions of a tungsten alkylidyne complex with mono-dentate phosphines. Thermodynamic and theoretical studies.” Polyhedron 2013, 58, 30-38.
5. Chen, S.; Dougan, B. A.; Chen X.; Xue, Z. L. “Preparation of Zirconium Guanidinate Complexes from the Direct Insertion of a Carbodiimine and Aminolysis Using a Guanidine. Comparison of the Reactions.” Organometallics 2012, 31, 3443.
6. Dougan, B. A.; Xue, Z. L. “Unusual reaction of a tungsten alkylidyne complex with water. Formation, characterization, and crystal structures of oxo trimers.” Sci. China Chem. 2011, 54, 1903.
7. Chen, S.; Li, J.; Dougan, B.; Steren, C.; Wang, X.; Chen, X.; Lin, Z.; Xue, Z. “Unexpected formation of a trinuclear complex containing a Ta(IV)-Ta(IV) bond in the reactions of ButN=Ta(NMe2)3 with silanes.” Chemical Communications 2011, 47, 8685.
8. Sun, J. F.; Chen, F.; Dougan, B. A.; Xu, H. J.; Cheng, Y.; Li, Y. Z.; Chen, X. T.; Xue, Z. L. “Quinoline-functionalized N-heterocyclic carbene complexes of iridium. Synthesis, structures and catalytic activity in transfer hydrogenation.” Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 2009, 694, 2096.
9. Dougan, B. A.; Xue, Z. L. “Reaction of a tungsten alkylidyne complex with a chelating diphosphine. lpha-hydrogen migration in the intermediates and formation of an alkyl alkylidene alkylidyne complex.” Organometallics 2009, 28, 1295.
10. Dougan, B. A.; Xue, Z. L. “Polarized neutron diffraction and its application to spin density studies.” Sci. China Chem. 2009, 52, 2083.
11. Fry, F. H.; Dougan, B. A.; McCann, N.; Willis, A. C.; Ziegler, C. J.; Brasch, N. E. “Synthesis and X-ray structural characterization of tris(glycinato)vanadium(III) and trans-tetraquadichlorovanadium(III) chloride.” Inorganica Chimica Acta 2008, 361, 2321.
12. Xu, H. J.; Cheng, Y.; Sun, J. F.; Dougan, B. A.; Li, Y. Z.; Chen, X. T.; Xue, Z. L. “Preparation, characterization, and catalytic properties of ruthenium nitrosyl complexes with polypyrazolylmethane ligands.” Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 2008, 693, 3851.
13. Mukherjee, R.; Dougan, B. A.; Fry, F. H.; Bunge, S. D.; Ziegler, C. J.; Brasch, N. E. “Structural and spectroscopic evidence for the formation of trinuclear and tetranuclear vanadium(III)/carboxylate complexes of acetate and related derivatives in aqueous solution.” Inorganic Chemistry 2007, 46, 1575.
14. Fry, F. H.; Dougan, B. A.; McCann, N.; Ziegler, C. J.; Brasch, N. E. “Characterization of novel vanadium(III)/acetate clusters formed in aqueous solution.” Inorganic Chemistry 2005, 44, 5197.
1. Hun, D.; Smith, B. A. “Novel Air Leak Detection System.” ORNL public release / ORNL Research Highlight. 2016. https://www.ornl.gov/content/novel-air-leak-detection-system
2. Glasgow, D. C.; Lewis, L. A.; Smith, B. A.; Moyers, R. L.; Thompson, C. V. “Oak Ridge National Laboratory Scintillator Can Detect 35 Microcurie Beta Emissions in Daylight at 15 Feet.” DTRA public release. 2014.
3. Glasgow, D. C.; Lewis, L. A.; Smith, B. A.; Moyers, R. L.; Thompson, C. V.; Montgomery, F. C. “New EM Technology: Spray Lights up Contamination Hot Spots.” DOE public release. 2013.
1. Abbott, J. K. C; Dougan, B. A.; Xue, Z. L. Synthesis of Organometallic Compounds, Modern Inorganic Synthetic Chemistry, 1st ed.; Elsevier, 2011; pp. 269-293.
Lewis, L. A.; Smith, B. A.; Connatser, R. M.; Lewis, S. A. (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA). Compositions and methods of use for detection and imaging of prints by surface-enhanced spectroscopic techniques. U.S. Serial No. 13/602,758. ORNL Reference: 2473.
Hun, D.; Smith, B. A.; Lewis, L. A. (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA). Fluorescent Air Leakage Detection System for Building Enclosures. ID: 201603626, DOE S-138,265.
Smith, B. A.; Plymill, A. (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA). Development of Magnetic-Luminescent Fe3O4@ La1-xPO4: x Ln Nanocomposites. ID: 201503564, DOE S-138,200.
12 classified invention disclosures submitted on the development and application of 11 novel infrared scintillating materials including three of which that have tunable wavelengths by adjusting the core matrix host composition.