Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ahmad Jan is a postdoctoral research associate in the Climate Change Science Institute, Environmental Sciences Division, at Oak Ridge National Laboratory since August 2015. His research interests include multi-scale hydrologic modeling, modeling permafrost dynamics, uncertainty quantification, parameter estimation, subsurface flows and characterization.
He received his PhD in Applied Mathematics from the University of Wyoming in 2015. His PhD research work focused on validation, at the laboratory scale, of a numerical model for the simulation of CO2 storage in saline aquifers. That is, to model how CO2 displaces brine in heterogeneous porous media using Bayesian MCMC framework.
He obtained his BS degree in Applied Mathematics from Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad, Pakistan (2005), and MS degree in Computational Mathematics from GIK Institute, Pakistan (2007). He served as a faculty member at GIK Institute for about three years (2007-2009), was a research fellow at the Institute of Structural Analysis, Graz Austria for six months (2010).
◦ Catherine Gibbs Shaw and Shanti Sehgal’s award, University of Wyoming, USA (2014)
◦ National Engineering and Scientific Commission (NESCOM) Excellence Award, Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences & Technology, Pakistan (2007)
◦ Talent Farming Scheme Scholarship: Higher Education Commision, Islamabad, Pakistan (2004)
◦ Ahmad Jan, Ethan T. Coon, Scott L. Painter, Rao Garimela, David Moulten, An Intermediate- scale model for the simulation of soil thermal hydrology in low-relief polygonal landscapes. Computational Geosciences, in press, (2016)
◦ Akbarabadi, M., Borges, M., Jan, A., Pereira, F., and Piri, M. On the Validation of a Compositional Model for the Simulation of CO2 Injection into Saline Aquifers. Transport in Porous Media, (2017) 1-32. [Authors are listed alphabetically]
◦ Scott Painter, Nathan Collier, Ahmad Jan, Integrated Surface/subsurface flow modeling in PFLO- TRAN. ORNL/TM–2016/575. Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States), (2016)
◦ Akbarabadi, M., Borges, M., Jan, A., Pereira, F. and Piri, M., A Bayesian framework for the valida- tion of models for subsurface flows: synthetic experiments, Computational Geosciences Vol 19(2015), pp. 1231–1250. [Authors are listed alphabetically]
◦ Ahmad Jan, S.I.A. Tirmizi, Siraj-ul-Islam, Application of meshfree collocation method to a class of nonlinear partial differential equations, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements Vol 33(2009) pp. 661-667.
◦ Ahmad Jan, A computational meshless method for the generalized Burger’s Huxley equation, Applied mathematical modeling, Vol 33(2009) pp. 3718-3729.
◦ Ahmad Jan, Siraj-ul-Islam, A comparative study of the numerical solution of a class of KdV equation, Applied Mathematics & Computation Vol 199(2008) pp. 425-434.
◦ Siraj-ul-Islam, Ahmad Jan, S.I.A. Tirmizi, A meshfree method for numerical solution of KdV equation, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements Vol 32(2008) pp. 849-855.