Adrian S Sabau
Adrian S Sabau
Senor R&D Staff Member
Dr. Adrian Sabau received his Diploma of Mechanical and Materials Processing Engineer from the University of Craiova, Romania. He received his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Southern Methodist University located in Dallas, TX in 1996.
Dr. Sabau seeks to advance materials processing and materials development for energy applications.
His expertise include the development of controlled experiments, constitutive equations, and
solution algorithms for process simulations and evaluating materials behavior and performance in harsh environments,
involving energy transport, mass transport, and continuum mechanics.
- R&D 100 Magazine, R&D 100 Award, ACMZ Cast Aluminum Alloys, Shyam A., Haynes J.A., Yamamoto Y., Shin D., Sabau A., Allard L., Watkins T., Porter W., Morris J., Roy S., Maziasz P., McClurg D., Hawkins C., Shower P., and Milligan B.. (and collaborators from Fiat Chrysler Automobile USA and Nemak USA) 2017.
- ASME Fellow (2016).
- UT-Battelle Technology Commercialization Award (2014).
- ORNL Significant Event Award for Development and Demonstration of a High-Heat Flux Testing Facility for Neutron-Irradiated Materials (2013).
- NFLC National Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Pulse Thermal Processing, Blue C.A., Clemos, A., Dudney, N., Duty, C., Harper D., Ott R., Rivard, J., Sabau A., DeTrana, A.G., (2012).
- R&D 100 Award in Process Sciences, CermaCladTM: Rapid Metal Coating Process, MesoCoat Inc., (Sherman A.J., Engleman G., ORNL (Blue C., Clemos, A., Dudney, N., Duty, C., Harper D., Ott R., Rivard, J., Sabau A., Sikka V.), EMTEC (Martin M.) (2011).
- R&D 100 Award in Process Sciences, PulseForgeTM 3100 with Pulse Thermal Processing, NovaCentrix, Inc. (Schroder K., Jackson D., McCool S., Pope D., Kierzyk T., Lind D., Rawson I., Sommers R.) and ORNL (Blue C., Clemos, A., Dudney, N., Duty, C., Harper D., Ott R., Rivard, J., Sabau A.) (2009).
- The Frederick E. Terman Award for academic achievement in Mechanical Engineering, Southern Methodist University, 3.96 GPA, 1994-1995.
- University of Craiova, Highest ranking among graduating class of 1992.
- National Merit Scholarship, University of Craiova, Romania, 9.92/10 GPA, 1989-1992.
- Romanian National Mathematics Olympiad, Mentions, 1985-86 (high school).
General project areas:
- Materials behavior under high-heat flux (irradiated materials for fusion energy).
- Plasma-arc lamp processing (coatings, heat treatment).
- Bimetalic casting (over-casting of Al over steel).
- Laser Processing (laser interference-structuring of Al and Carbon Fiber Polymer Composites).
- Geothermal Energy (new working fluids, component design and optimization).
- Materials Behavior under Severe Environments (Land-based Turbines, Boiler Tubes).
- Energy Transport; Radiation Transport in Semitransparent Media for Infrared Processing (laser, plasma-arc lamp).
- Investment Casting (measurement of wax properties, prediction of final casting dimensions, shrinkage casting for mold design).
- Inverse Analysis for the Thermophysical property Measurements.
- Experimental and Numerical Simulation of Direct-Chill Casting Process.
- Prediction Metal Casting Defects (microporosity and hot-tearing).
- 49 journal papers:
(1-st author 27 papers), 10 industry refereed journal papers (1-st author 7 papers), 79 conference papers (1-st author 46 papers).
- 4 co-edited books:
- Publications by research areas at:
- Edited Books:
- CFD Modeling and Simulation in Materials Processing, Editors: Laurentiu Nastac, Lifeng Zhang, Brian G. Thomas, Miaoyong Zhu, Andreas Ludwig, Adrian S. Sabau, Koulis Pericleous, Herve Combeau, TMS 2016 Proceedings, Nashville, TN, Febr. 14-18, 2016, Wiley, A John Wiley and Sons, Inc., ISBN: 978-1-119-22576-8, 304 pages.
- Advances in the Science and Engineering of Casting Solidication: An MPMD Symposium Honoring Doru Michael Stefanescu, Editors: L. Nastac, B. Liu, H. Fredriksson, J. Lacaze, C-P Hong, A. Catalina, A. Buhrig-Polaczek, D. M. Maijer, C. A. Monroe, A. Sabau, R. Ruxanda, A. A. Luo, S. Sen, A. Diszegi, 2015, TMS 2015 Proceedings, Orlando, FL, March 11-15, 2015, Wiley, A John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Publications (ISBN: 978-1-119-08238-5), 448 pages.
- Modeling of multi-scale Phenomena in Materials Processing III Symposium, Editors: A.S. Sabau, L. Nastac and A. Rollett, TMS 2013, San Antonio, TX, March 3-7, 2013, EPD Congress 2013, Wiley, A John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Publications (ISBN 978-1-11860-574-5, ISSN Number 1079-7580).
- CFD Modeling and Simulation in Materials Processing, Editors: Laurentiu Nastac, Lifeng Zhang, Brian G. Thomas, Adrian Sabau, Nagy El-Kaddah, Adam C. Powell, Herve Combeau, 2012, TMS 2012 Proceedings, Orlando, FL, March 11-15, 2012, Wiley, A John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Publications (ISBN: 978-1-118-29615-8), 332 pages.
- A.S. Sabau, J. Li, H. Meyer III, C. Daniel, Laser-Interference Surface Preparation for Enhanced Coating Adhesion, Invention Disclosure 201703898, DOE S-138,556, Patent Application 62/526,692, Filed June 29, 2017.
- A. Shyam, Y. Yamamoto, D. Shin, J.A. Haynes, P.J. Maziasz , A.S. Sabau, S. Roy, A.F. Rodriguez-Jasso, J.A. Gonzalez-Villarreal, J. Talamantes-Silva, L. Zhang, C.R. Glaspie, S. Mirmiran, Aluminum Alloy Compositions and Methods of Making and Using the Same, US Patent Application Number 15/160,926, Filed May 20, 2016.
- A.S.Sabau, C.D. Warren, C. Daniel, J. Chen, D.L. III Erdman, Laser Nanostructured Surface Preparation for Joining Dissimilar Materials, U.S. Patent Application No. 2016/025570, Filed Sept. 15, 2016.
- I.V. Vlassiouk, W.H. Peter, A.S. Sabau, S. Dai, P. Fulvio, I.N. Ivanov, and N.V. Lavrik, High quality large scale single and multilayer graphene production by chemical vapor deposition, Filed January 4, 2013, U.S. Patent Application No. 13/734,823 (UT-Battelle, LLC).
- D.J. King, S. Babinec, P.L. Hagans, L.C. Maxey, E.A. Payzant, C. Daniel, A.S. Sabau, R.B. Dinwiddie, B.L. Armstrong, J.Y. Howe, D.L. Wood III, N.S. Nembhard,"Characterization of dielectric materials," U.S. Patent No. US9689822 B2 14/602,370
- J.A. Angelini, C. Daniel, C.E. Duty, J.Y. Howe, P. Joshi, J. Li, E.A. Payzant, A.S. Sabau, D.L.Wood, and I. Oladeji, Pulse Thermal Processing of Solid State Lithium Ion Battery Cathodes, Filed December 21st, 2012, U.S. Patent Application No. 13/724,679 (UT-Battelle, LLC).
- B.L. Armstrong, C. Daniel, J.Y. Howe, J.O. Kiggans, Jr., A.S. Sabau, D.L. Wood, III, and S. Kalnaus, Method and apparatus for in-situ drying investigation and optimization of slurry drying methodology, U.S. Patent No. 9,337,470 05/10/2016.
- C. Daniel, C. Tsouris, N.V. Lavrik, P.G. Datskos, R.D. Ott, V. Schwartz, and A.S. Sabau, Pulsed photothermal phase transformation control for titanium oxide structures and reversible bandgap shift for solar absorption, Filed 9/24/2010, U.S. Patent No. 20,120,073,640, 03/29/2012.
- Plasma-arc lamp facility
- Laser structuring facility
- Metal casting
- Software: ABAQUS, ProCAST, Telluride (LANL code), Truchas (LANL code), CUBIT
- In-house developed codes in FORTRAN90/C.