Delivering new innovations to industry to help increase the nation’s economic competitiveness is an important part of Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s mission. The Technology Innovation Program (TIP) was created to accelerate the commercial adoption of promising ORNL technologies by making targeted investments to increase commercial readiness and raise their visibility to prospective partners. ORNL’s TIP investments are funded by royalties from previously licensed ORNL technologies.
Each year, ORNL competitively selects 4-5 its most compelling technologies for a year of strategic technical development and outreach to prospective partners. Toward the end of the year, prospective industry partners are invited to submit applications to commercialize the TIP technologies, and the companies with the most compelling commercialization plans are offered licenses. Some TIP teams who successfully partner with industry under a license are competitively selected for a second year of research and development to be performed at ORNL in partnership with the licensing companies.
Since 2013, ORNL has invested nearly $6M in 26 TIP projects, resulting in 18 commercial licenses and options with partners ranging from Fortune 100 companies to early stage startups. Past TIP technologies include an optically clear superhydrophobic coating technology, a roll-to-roll process for producing low cost carbon fiber, a “smart” smoke detector, and a gene regulation method to reduce lignin content in plants.
Please contact us if you would like to be included in the TIP calls for license applications.
2018 Technology Innovation Program (TIP) Technologies
- Heartbeat – Cyber Anomaly Detection through Side-Channel Analysis of Periodic System Function Invocation
- Carbon Nanomaterial Enabled Ultra Conductive Metal Composites (UCC)
- Low-Cost, High Strength Ni-Fe-Cr alloys for High-Temperature Applications
- Commercialization of AlCuMnZr (ACMZ) Alloys
- Safe Impact Resistant Electrolytes (SAFIRE)
2017 TIP Showcase
If you were not able to attend the TIP Showcase at ORNL on October 3, you can still review the presentations and videos of the technical presentations. Additional details about the technologies are provided below.
Tip Program Overview
Low-Cost, High-Quality Carbon Fiber Precursor
Low-Temperature Oxidation Catalyst
Reusing CO2 as Fuel: Converting Carbon Dioxide to Ethanol
Self-Correcting Random Number Generator
Thermally Stable Aluminum-Cerium Alloys for 3D Printing
2017 TIP Technologies
Technologies Previously Funded in the ORNL TIP Program that are Available for Licensing:
- Ball Assisted Device for Analytical Surface Sampling
- Genetic Regulation of Lignin Reduction in Plants
- Low-Cost Controlled-Morphology Metal-Oxides for Multifunctional Coatings
- Low-Cost High Performance CF*C-Plus Stainless Steel
- Mutualistic Microbes for Plant Productivity-SAFE Bio-Fertilizer
- Rapid, Fieldable Viral Diagnostics
- Thermoset Composite having Thermoplastic Characteristics
- TNT-Cloning System