Senior Researcher - Connected and Automated Vehicles Research (closes Aug. 1, 2017)
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking a scientific leader with a national and international reputation and record of accomplishment to serve as senior researcher within the Energy and Transportation Science Division, focusing on Connected and Automated Vehicles Research.
The position will provide subject matter expertise and vision to assist in establishing ORNL as a national leader in connected and automated systems research. The successful candidate will establish a roadmap for utilizing multi-disciplinary facilities and capabilities within ORNL along with a growing team researchers, academic, and industry partners and execute that plan in this rapidly growing focus area. The ideal candidate should have a strong familiarity with a wide variety of connected and automated vehicle technologies, including vehicle control theory, vehicle modeling and simulation, and vehicle to infrastructure communications.
Expertise in the following areas would be considered a plus:
• Communication networks with an emphasis in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks, Wireless networks and Intelligent Transportation Systems
• Experience dealing with distributed congestion control for wireless networks. • Knowledge of distributed computing, sensor fusion, and cooperative robotics
• General familiarity with advanced powertrain systems, specifically for plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs)
• Ph.D. in an engineering or scientific discipline relevant to connected and automated systems research and a recognized record of research accomplishments in that field, plus 10 years of relevant experience is required.
• An established track record of strong leadership qualities, scientific reputation, building programs, team building and motivational skills, written and oral communication skills, and ability to manage to outcomes is a must. A proven record of engineering or scientific accomplishments is strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated technical and strategic leadership ability applicable to running a large, diverse, team- oriented organization with a multidisciplinary group of engineers and scientists is required.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired. We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm, .hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10 CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required. If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.