Welcome to the homepage of Satoshi Okamoto.
I am a condensed-matter theorist.
I have been working on the strongly-correlated electron systems in the form of bulk and artificial heterostructures.
For a many-body problem, an exact solution is almost impossible to find except for some special cases.
Therefore, in general one has to employ some kind of approximation depending on the problem.
I use a variety of techniques ranging from numerical ones to analytical ones.
These include Hartee-Fock approximation, auxiliary-particle methods (slave boson, slave fermion or Schwinger boson), spin-wave expansion,
static and dynamical mean field methods, bosonization, and also density functional theory.
My interest is still growing, covering superconductivity, magnetism, and transport properties of the strongly-correlated systems.
So, essentially, I'm interested in all the novel phenomena caused by the strong correlations.
Full Publication list
- E. Assmann, P. Blaha, R. Laskowski, K. Held, S. Okamoto, and G. Sangiovanni,
“Oxide Heterostructures for Efficient Solar Cells,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 078701 (2013).
This paper is spotlighted as a Synopsis in Physics:
Building Better Solar Cells, Layer by Layer
- S. Okamoto,
“Doped Mott Insulators in (111) Bilayers of Perovskite Transition-Metal Oxides with the Strong Spin-Orbit Coupling,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 066403 (2013).
- S. Okamoto,
in Multifunctional Oxide Heterostructures,
Eds. E. Y. Tsymbal, E. R. A. Dagotto, C.-B. Eom, and R. Ramesh (Oxford University Press, 2012), p.214-253, ISBN: 978-0-19-958412-3.
- D. Xiao, W. Zhu, Y. Ran, N. Nagaosa, and S. Okamoto,
“Interface engineering of quantum Hall effects in digital transition metal oxide heterostructures,”
Nat. Commun. 2:596 doi: 10.1038/ncomms1602 (2011).
- J. Salafranca and S. Okamoto,
“Unconventional proximity effect and inverse spin-switch behavior in a model manganite-cuprate-manganite trilayer system,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 256804 (2010).
- S. Okamoto, D. Sénéchal, M. Civelli, and A.-M. Tremblay,
“Dynamical electronic nematicity from Mott physics,”
Phys. Rev. B 82, 180511(R) (2010).Editors' Suggestion
- J. Garcia-Barriocanal, J. C. Cezar, F. Y. Bruno, P. Thakur, N. B. Brookes, C. Utfeld, A. Rivera-Calzada,
S. R. Giblin, J. W. Taylor, J. A. Duffy, S. B. Dugdale, T. Nakamura, K. Kodama, C. Leon, S. Okamoto, and J. Santamaria,
“Spin and Orbital Ti Magnetism at LaMnO3/SrTiO3 Interfaces,”
Nat. Commun. 1:82 doi: 10.1038/ncomms1080 (2010).
- A. Y. Borisevich, H. J. Chang, M. Huijben, M. P. Oxley, S. Okamoto, M. K. Niranjan, J. D. Burton,
E.Y. Tsymbal, Y. H. Chu, P. Yu, R. Ramesh, S. V. Kalinin, and S. J. Pennycook,
“Suppression of Octahedral Tilts and Associated Changes in Electronic Properties at Epitaxial Oxide Heterostructure Interfaces,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 087204 (2010).
- S. Okamoto,
“Magnetic interaction at an interface between manganite and other transition-metal oxides,”
Phys. Rev. B 82, 024427 (2010).
- P. Yu, J.-S. Lee, S. Okamoto, M. D. Rossell, M. Huijben, C.-H. Yang, Q. He, J. X. Zhang, S.Y. Yang, M. J. Lee,
Q. M. Ramasse, R. Erni, Y.-H. Chu, D. A. Arena, C.-C. Kao, L.W. Martin, and R. Ramesh,
“Interface Ferromagnetism and Orbital Reconstruction in BiFeO3-La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 Heterostructure,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 027201 (2010).
- K. Yoshimatsu, T. Okabe, H. Kumigashira, S. Okamoto, S. Aizaki, A. Fujimori, and M. Oshima,
“Dimensional-Crossover-Driven Metal-Insulator Transition in SrVO3 Ultrathin Films,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 147601 (2010).
- R. S. Fishman and S. Okamoto,
“Noncollinear magnetic phases of a triangular-lattice antiferromagnet and of doped CuFeO2,”
Phys. Rev. B 81, 020402(R) (2010).
- R. S. Fishman, S. Okamoto, W. W. Shum, and J. S. Miller,
“Giant antiferromagnetically coupled moments in a molecule-based magnet with interpenetrating lattices,” Phys. Rev. B 80, 064401 (2009).
- S. Okamoto and Th. A. Maier,
“Enhanced Superconductivity in Superlattices of High-Tc Cuprates,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 156401 (2008).
- S. Okamoto, “Nonlinear Transport through Strongly Correlated Two-Terminal Heterostructures:
A Dynamical Mean-Field Approach,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 116807 (2008).
- S. Yunoki, A. Moreo, E. Dagotto, S. Okamoto, S. S. Kancharla, A. Fujimori, “Electron Doping of Cuprates via Interfaces with Manganites,” Phys. Rev. B 76, No. 6, 064532 (2007).
- S. S. Kancharla and S. Okamoto, “Band insulator to Mott insulator transition in a bilayer Hubbard model,” Phys. Rev. B 75, 193103 (2007).
- M. Takizawa, H. Wadati, K. Tanaka, M. Hashimoto, T. Yoshida, A. Fujimori, A. Chikamatsu, H. Kumigashira, M. Oshima, K. Shibuya, T. Mihara, T. Ohnishi, M. Lippmaa, M. Kawasaki, H. Koinuma, S. Okamoto, and A. J. Millis,
“Photoemission from Buried Interfaces in SrTiO3/LaTiO3 Superlattices,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 057601 (2006).
- S. Okamoto, A. J. Millis, and N. A. Spaldin, “Lattice relaxation in oxide heterostructures: LaTiO3/SrTiO3 superlattices,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 056802 (2006).
- S. Okamoto and A. J. Millis, “Spatial inhomogeneity and strong correlation physics: A dynamical mean-field study of a model Mott-insulator-band-insulator heterostructure,” Phys. Rev. B 70, 241104(R) (2004).
- S. Okamoto and A. J. Millis, “Electronic reconstruction at an interface between a Mott insulator and a band insulator,” Nature (London) 428, 630 (2004).