Supercomputing and Computation
Interactive Analysis of Social Media StreamsChad A. Steed
May 14, 2013
- Situational awareness of social media streams is a big data challenge due to the large and rapidly changing content that is mostly unstructured text.
- Consume, store, and provide online connections to the social media streams.
- Efficiently identify topics, sentiment, and emerging / obscured / abnormal trends.
- Design a visual analytics framework for situational awareness and exploratory analysis of unstructured text streams.
- Develop and implement statistical metrics to characterize textual content from social media.
- Intuitively capture human input to build adaptive search profiles and adapt the user interface.
Advantage over the State-of-the-Art:
- Leverage spatio-temporal metadata for improved monitoring of global events.
- Combines the strengths of humans with those of machines for more effective analysis.
- Interactivity connects the user to the data behind the visualization.
- Efficient analytics that can handle the extreme velocity and scale of social media streams.