Archived News Releases for 2013
- A Brighter Future for Manufacturing, 3-D Printed 1 Layer at a Time
ORNL in the News (Scientific American), May 8, 2013 - Oak Ridge National Laboratory's robotic prosthesis looks like something out of medieval times—a hand clad in chain mail more appropriate for wielding a broadsword than a mug of coffee.
- TS Byun recognized as reviewer of the year
ORNL Today, April 16, 2013 - The Journal of Nuclear Materials has awarded Thak Sang Byun the distinction of Best Reviewer for 2012. Byun is a research staff member of ORNL's Nuclear Materials Science & Technology Group in the Materials Science and Technology Division. Byun's selection is based on a vote of all the journal's editors. He has completed a large number of exemplary reviews for the Journal that were found to be thorough and constructive for the authors.
- Zhang, Specht elected fellows of American Physical Society
OAK RIDGE, Tenn., April 15, 2013 - Two researchers from the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory have been elected to fellowship in the American Physical Society (APS). Xiaoguang Zhang and Eliot Specht were named APS fellows in recognition of their outstanding contributions to physics.
- RNL lithium-sulfur battery work featured in AFM
Lithium-sulfur battery research by a team of ORNL researchers was featured on the inside front cover of a recent issue of Advanced Functional Materials. Zhan Lin and Nancy Dudney are the paper's coauthors.
- ORNL microscopy uncovers "dancing" silicon atoms in graphene
OAK RIDGE, Tenn., April 3, 2013 - Jumping silicon atoms are the stars of an atomic scale ballet featured in a new Nature Communications study from the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- ORNL carbon fiber facility dedicated
OAK RIDGE, Tenn., March 26, 2013 — Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says Oak Ridge National Laboratory's new carbon fiber manufacturing is an example of how the Volunteer State can compete in a global economy.
- Manufacturing tech, forest monitoring system win tech transfer awards
OAK RIDGE, Tenn., March 21, 2013 — Technologies from the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory are among winners of 2013 national and regional Federal Laboratory Consortium Awards. ORNL's awards, which recognize outstanding work in transferring a federal laboratory-developed technology to the commercial marketplace, were in the Excellence in Technology Transfer and Interagency Partnerships categories.
- Steven Zinkle named fellow of Materials Research Society
OAK RIDGE, Tenn., March 11, 2013 — Senior materials researcher and Corporate Fellow Steven Zinkle of the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory has been named a 2013 Fellow of the Materials Research Society (MRS).
- New material promises better solar cells
ORNL in the News (PhysOrg), Feb. 13, 2013 - Researchers at the Vienna University of Technology show that a recently discovered class of materials can be used to create a new kind of solar cell...The team from TU Vienna was assisted by Satoshi Okamoto.
- MSTD adds associate division director positions
ORNL Today, Jan. 14, 2013 - The new positions will have responsibilities for five to eight groups each and will report directly to MSTD Director Gene Ice. The three ADDs are
- Hans Christen, who will head groups focused on Novel Materials and Mechanisms,
- William (Bill) Peter, who will head groups focused on Materials Behavior and Processing and
- Lance Snead, who will head groups focused on Materials Under Extremes.
- RABiTS tech enables record performance with Fe superconducting wires
ORNL Today, Jan. 14, 2013 -A Brookhaven National Laboratory-led team has used ORNL's RABiTS substrate to make an iron-based high-temperature superconducting wire capable of carrying very high supercurrents under exceptionally high magnetic fields.