Michael (Mike) Howell
Technical Staff Support
Corrosion Science & Technology Group
Materials Science & Technology Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
P.O. Box 2008
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6156
Phone: (865) 574-6945
- Twenty seven years of hands-on ability and experience in the design, fabrication, commissioning, operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of one of a kind complex scientific research equipment which includes associated instrument controls, data acquisition systems, and mechanical hardware.Provide lead role in small design projects.
- Specific related experience with high-pressure, high-temperature environmental effects test facilities, liquid metals experimental systems, and ultra high-vacuum systems.
- Emphasis on critical design considerations due to unique hazards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides project design concepts in the preparation and development of experimental system requirements specifications and other related documentation.
- Prepares and reviews technical documentation in support of the procurement of experimental equipment.
- Supervises the preparation and development of integrated; installation, test, and commissioning plans for experimental systems and related equipment.
- Maintains oversight of manufacturers during the fabrication of components and equipment; reviewing and approving manufacturing plans and other vendor documentation, monitoring quality and witnessing of acceptance tests at the vendors premises.
- Provides technical support during the assembly, installation, testing, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of experimental equipment and other related systems.
- Identifies and implements activities needed to support system operations and upgrades.
- Assist in the development of budgets, schedules and plans in support of system operations and developments and implementing of these plans within budgetary and schedule constraints.
- Ensures compliance with environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements, including ISMS. This could include analyzing system/equipment problems and troubleshooting equipment failures and operational deficiencies as well as defining facility system design and safety envelope requirements.
- Reviews proposed facility designs/modifications for maintainability, operability, and conformance to facility operational and safety requirements.
- Provide leadership experience in directing the operations of other technical staff members and technicians.
- Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- Determine effects on fiber-reinforced ceramic composites, combustion liners, and bond coated materials within highly aggressive environments to include water vapor, hyrdrogen, methane, and other mixed gases, for use in the next generation of engines used in industrial and utility power generation and cogeneration. Materials tested in unique one-of-a-kind high pressure and high temperature experimental systems.
- Research and technology development of materials to include intermetallics, oxide-dispersion strengthened alloys, modified steels, metallic and ceramic coatings which contribute to the advancement of fossil energy technologies .Materials tested in oxidizing and sulfidizing environments utilizing complex experimental equipment.
- Build and operate closed loop thermal convection system to assess the long-term, high temperature compatibility of high electrical resistance coatings and alloys with flowing lithium at high temperatures for fusion applications. Extreme hazards involved in operation of equipment.
- Research and development related to improved performance of corrosion resistance alloys within recuperators of industrial gas turbines. Design of a controlled environment sample exposure chamber completed.
Current/Recent R&D Responsibilities:
- Determine effects on fiber-reinforced ceramic composites, combustion liners, and bond coated materials within highly aggressive environments to include water vapor, hyrdrogen, methane, and other mixed gases, for use in the next generation of engines used in industrial and utility power generation and cogeneration.
- Materials tested in high pressure and high temperature experimental systems.
- Research and technology development of materials to include intermetallics, oxide-dispersion strengthened alloys, modified steels, metallic and ceramic coatings which contribute to the advancement of fossil energy technologies .
- Materials tested in oxidizing and sulfidizing environments.
- (Fusion Energy) Liquid metal (Lithium, Sodium, etc.) capsule test to resolve material compatability issues.
- A.S. (Mechanical Engineering Technology); Northeast State Technical Community College, Johnson City, TN. Specialty: Design and Development of Mechanical Systems.
- B.S. (Accounting); Tennessee Wesleyan College, Athens, TN.
- Specialty: Professional Tax Accountancy.