Google Scholar link to papers and abstracts
ISI Researcher I.D. Link to Web of Science Papers and Abstracts
- Development of High-Temperature Alloys for Power Generation Applications
- Oxidation of Multi-Phase Materials
- Oxidation/Nitridation/Carburization Reactions as a Synthesis Approach
- Surface Engineering for Functional Materials (fuel cells, solar cells, nanocomposites, etc)
- Understanding Protective Film Formation on Magnesium Alloys
- Synthesis of Non Rare Earth Magnet Materials
- Materials Issues for Clean Cookstoves for the Developing World
- Synthesis and Development of Corrosion-Resistant Nitride Surfaces for PEM Fuel Cell Bipolar Plates
- Novel Synthesis Techniques to Produce Nano/Micro Composite Surface Structures
- Development of Creep-Resistant, Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels for High-Temperature Structural Use
- Fundamentals of Multi-Phase Material Oxidation
- Interfacial Reactions of Metal-Fluid Systems at Extreme Conditions (focus on water vapor effects on alloy oxidation)
- Development of High-Temperature, Ductile Chromium-Base alloys
- Alloy Development and Oxidation Behavior of Titanium Aluminide Structural Alloys and Coatings
- Materials Science and Engineering
- B.S. Virginia Tech, 1986
- M.S. Virginia Tech, 1990
- Ph.D. University of Florida, 1993
- 1998-present: Distinguished R&D Staff Member, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN (R&D Staff Member 1998-2004; Senior R&D Staff Member 2004-2010): Joint Member of Alloying Behavior and Design Group/Corrosion Science and Technology Group, Materials Science and Technology Division
- 1997: ORISE Postdoctoral Fellow, Oak Ridge National Laboratory Oak Ridge, TN: Alloying Behavior and Design Group/Corrosion Science and Technology Group, Metals and Ceramics Division
- 1993-1997: National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH: Environmental Durability Branch, Materials Division
Honors and Awards:
- 2012 Federal Lab Consortia Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer for Materials for a Low-Cost, Clean Cookstove (with Envirofit International and Colorado State University) (ORNL Team lead).
- 2011 ORNL Director’s Award Outstanding Team Accomplishment for AFA stainless Steels (ORNL Team of the Year Award, Team lead).
- 2011 Excellence in Technology Transfer Award (ORNL Team Award, Team lead) for Development and Licensing of Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels (Team lead).
- ORNL Significant Event Award Alumina-forming Austentic (AFA) license agreement with Carpenter Technologies, 2011(Team lead.)
- 2009 R&D 100 Award for Development of Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels (Team lead).
- ORNL Significant Event Research Award for Development of Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels, 2007 (Team lead).
- ORNL Significant Event Research Award for Development of Nitrided Metallic Bipolar Plates, 2004 (Team lead).
- Top Ten (#3) Accomplishment DOE Fuel Cell Program 2003.
- Distinguished Poster Award Gordon Research Conference on High-Temperature Corrosion, July 1999.
- NASA Space Act Board Award, 1999.
- NASA Tech Brief Award, 1996.
- Two Papers on the 1994 NASA HITEMP Conference Ten Best Paper List, 1994.
- Alpha Sigma Mu Materials Engineering Honor Society, 1993.
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 1992.
- -International Metallographic Symposium Student Poster Presentation Awards, 1985 and 1992.
Selected Journal Publications and Patents
(Author/Co-Author of ~100 journal and conference publications, 11 issued U.S. Patents, and 2 pending US Patents).