Significant Event Awards (SEA)
- For the "Ce-LEST," or the Center for Electrical Energy Storage ? Molecular to system architectures for electrical energy storage, Pete Tortorelli, Brenda Wyatt, Cathy Cheverton, Carolyn Thompson, Sheng Dai, Nancy Dudney, Bobby Sumpter, Adam Rondinone, Alexei Sokolov, Jo Roy, Canajoharia Moore, Kristen Chorzelewski, Kory Linton and Katie Medlock.
- For using Holifield Radioactive Ion Beam Facility Accelerator operations for high priority experiments, Bryan Bryant, Carlos Irizarry, Andrew Barclay, G. Matt Rucker, W. Jay Pruitt and Gerald Mills.
- For the development and production of components for the Multi-Mission Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator that powers the Curiosity for the Mars Science Laboratory Mission, James F. King, Roger Miller, James G. Hemrick, David C. Harper, Gregory A. Cox, Alta Marie Williams, Ashli M. Clark and Cecil A. Carmichael Jr..
- Alumina-forming Austentic (AFA) license agreement with Carpenter Technologies, M. P. Brady, B. Pint, M. Santella, Y. Yamamoto, P. Maziasz, G. Muralidharan, K. Unocic, 2011.
- Completion of Critical Experimental Campaign on Thermal Barrier Coatings, G. Garner, 2011.
- Advanced Battery Characterization and Processing WFO, C. Daniel, R. Boeman, D. Wood, A. Liby, C. Blue,, 2011.
- Technology Breakthrough in Environmentally-Sustainable Manufacturing of Recyclable Materials Into Useful Projects, Z. Feng, D. A. Frederick, 2011.
- Breakthrough in Ionic Liquid Lubricants Recognized by a Major DOE Program Award, J. Qu, P. J. Blau, S. Dai, H. Luo, B. G. Burnting,2011.
- World Record Breaking Performance of AGR-1 Coated Particle Fuel, G. Bell, R. Lowden, J. Hunn, P. Pappano, 2010.
- Major Wins for Carbon Fiber Development, C. Eberle, F. Paulauskas, A. Naskar, F. Baker, R. Boeman, C. Blue, D. Warren, K. Vaughan, J. Rivard, 2010.
- Completed AGR2 fuel fabrications campaign to meet DOE-NE Level 1 mileston in FY10, J. Hunn, P. Pappano, F. Montgomery, Trammell, 2010.
- Atom by atom imaging and analysis, Nature Cover, S. J. Pennycook, C. Chisholm, 2010.
- Significant materials performance break-through developments achieved using Thermo-Magnetic Processing and High Magnetic Field Processing, Gail Ludtka, Gerry Ludtka, O. Rios, B. L. Murphy, A. K. Naskar, S. Ozcan, J. B. Wilgen, R. A. Kisner, 2010.
- ORNL Wins 20 Projects from DOE Industrial Technologies Program; ORNL and Partners Awarded Projects worth $27M in Competitive Proposal Calls, A. A. Blankenship, G. L. Burn, T. Reagan, D. Bradford, C. Rice, J. Holthausen, J. Ault, A. Carter, 2009.
- Development of a New Titanium Reserach Thrust Area at ORNL, B. Peter, J. Kiggans, S. Nunn, D. Harper, E. Hatfield, C. Davission, 2009.
- High-Performance, Superconducting Wires by Epitaxial Growth on SSIFFS(TM); (SSIFS is an Acronym Which Stand for Structural, Single-Crystal, Faceted Fibers), A. Goyal, S-H Wee, E. D. Specht, Y. Zuev, J. Thompson, C. Cantoni, Development of Low-Aspect Ratio ("round") 2009.
- Laboratory Space Consolidation to Enhance Functionally and Reduce Space Footprint, R. Howell, D. B. Poker, S. N. Lewis, 2009.
- Achievement of First Atomic-Resolution Elemental Mapping on a 300 kV Scanning Transmission Electron Microscope,A R. Lupini, 2009.
- Development of a Multi-Year CRADA Between GM and ORNL to Significantly Improve the Automotive Fuel Efficiency and Engine Reliability, J. Qu, 2009.
- L. M. Smalley, L. Allen (CSD), T. C. Roe, A. R. Strange, and C. Thompson (CSD), Facilitation of ORNL Energy Frontier Research Center Proposals, 2009.
- G.M. Stocks, R. E. Stoller, E. P. George, B. C. Larson, D. M. Nicholson and G. E. Ice, Formulation of a Unique, Modern Approach to the Study of Atomic Defects that Served as Underpining of an EFRC Research Center of Defect Physics in Structural Materials, 2009.
- H. Wang, Crafting and Implementing New Plan for International Cooperation on Thermoelectrics R&D that Sets Stage for Increased ORNL Efforts in This Important Area of Energy Research, 2009.
- T. D. Burchell, Planning promoting, and winning a set of major nuclear R&D contracts for ORNL, 2009.
- E. George, H. Bei, Breakthrough Approach in Gaining New Fundamental Understanding of the Atomic Origins of Strength, 2008.
- E. Manneschmidt, Bettis Irradiated Bolt Testing, 2008.
- D. G.Mandrus, B. C. Sales, R. Jin, M. A. McGuire, A. Safa-Sefat, D. J. Singh, A. D. Christianson, M. D. Lumsden, M. H. Du and J. Y. Howe, First U.S. Team to Study New Iron-Based Superconductors, 2008.
- Ge. M. Ludtka, Ga. M. Ludtka, J. B. Wilgen and R. A Kisner, Establishment of the First Thermal-Magnetic Processing Facility in the United States for Advanced Materials and Process R&D, 2008.
- R. D. Godfrey, Lead proposal for Pebble Bed Modular Reactor, Pty Ltd., South Africa, 2008.
- M. P. Brady, Y. Yamamoto, Z. P. Lu, C. T. Liu, P. J. Maziasz, B. A. Pint, Development of Alumina-Forming Stainless Steel, 2007.
- N. DeJonge, Achievement of Proof of Principle for 3D In-Situ Imaging in Water, 2007.
- J. T. Busby, P. J. Maziasz, J. M. Vitek, E. A. Kenik and D. T. Hoelzer, Development of New, Improved Cast Stainless Steels for the ITER Shield Modules Project, 2007.
- Camden Hubbard, Completion of first HTML User Projects with NRSF2, 2006.
- D. L. Erdman, R. Battiste, J. M. Starbuck, E. Lara-Curzio, D. W. Bradford, Activities to Support the Restart of the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant, 2006.
- G. L. Bell, J. D. Hunn, R. A. Lowden, F. C. Montgomery, P. J. Pappano, M. P. Trammell, Completing Fabrication of Test Articles for the AGR-1 Irradiation Experiment, 2006.
- D. C. Harper, Successful Completion of the Materials Science and Technology Division's Materials Processing Group High Bay Revitalization, 2006.
- Karren More, K. Shawn Reeves, Breakthrough Research Based on Advanced Electron Mocroscopy of Polymer-Based Membrane-Electrode Assemblies, 2005.
- George B. Ulrich, Production of 125 clad vent sets for NASA, 2005.
- Edgar Lara-Curzio, Bruce Pint, Philip Maziasz, Karren More, Oxidation- and Creep-Resistant Alloy Foils for Improvements in Energy Efficiency of Microturbines, 2005.
- Joey Edgemon, Alan Frederick, Installation of the New Laser Processing Facility and Implementaiton into the Friction Stir Welding Facility, 2005.
- Bennett C. Larson, Gene Ice, Nondispersive Hard X-Ray Nanoprobe Beams Below 100 nm, 2005.
- R. H. Baldwin, F. K. Edwards, R. K. Nanstad, M. A. Sokolov, E. T. Manneschmidt, W. E. Comings, S. C. Eubanks, Rapid Response to a Nuclear Regulatory Commission R&D Request, 2004.
- M. P. Brady, G. R. Romanoski, J. W. Klett, A. D. McMillan, ORNL Materials R&D in support of PEM Fuel Cell Technologies Recognized as Top-Ten Projects of 2003 by DOE's Office of Hydrogen, Fuel Cells, and Infrastructure, 2004.
- H. Wang, W. E. Porter, G. N. Worley, Organizing and Hosting the 27th International Thermal Conductivity Conference and 15th International Thermal Expansion Symposium, 2004.
- M. Rogers, Significant Improvements in laboratory housekeeping, appearance, and safety in Bldg. 4508, Labs 139, 139B, and 139C, 2004.
- J. D. Hunn, R. A. Lowden, J. C. McLaughlin, W. E. Comings, L. J. Turner, R. H. Baldwin, R. B. Ogle, Establishing Uranium Coated Particle Fuel Fabrication and Characterization Capability at ORNL, 2004.
- B. B. Hickey, Creation of Historical CDs of the Ceramic Technology Program, 2004.
- I. M. Anderson, The Transmission Electron Aberration-corrected Microscope (TEAM) development project, 2003.
- R. G. Boeman, Developed and sold a new program focal area in intermediate strain rate testing to study structural crushing failure mechanisms and bridge the knowledge base between quasi-static testing and high-speed materials impacts, 2003.
- A. A. Blankenship, Went above and beyond the call of duty to help Dave Stinton, Ray Johnson, and Phil Sklad assist DOE-HQ with the management of the Automotive Propulsion Materials Program, the Heavy Vehicle Propulsion Materials Program, and the Light Weight Materials Program, 2003.
- C. A. Blue, A. Clemons, Advanced Materials for Yucca Mountain Project, 2003.
- R. B. Dinwiddie, A New Tool for the Study of the Lost Foam Casting Process Developed, 2003.
- D. C. Harper, B. D. Hickman, R. H. Baldwin, J. L. Brown, Installation of Power for a 0.75 Megawatt Plasma Lamp in the High Bay, Building 4508, 2003.
- R. A. Raschke, Development and Implementation of Two Major Workshops, 2003.
- I. Wright, R. Swindeman, Operation of coal-fired power plants, 2002.
- K. More, D. Coffey, Focused-Ion-Beam (FIB) Specimen Preparation Techniques for Electron Microscopy, 2002.
- E. Shelton, Steam Injection System, 2002.
- R. Baldwin, D. C. Harper, R. Howell, K. Blakely, E. Hatfield, J. Vought, W. Comings, P. Tedder, Installation of a Rolling Mill in the high bay area of the Materials Processing Group in a rapid, efficient manner, 2002.
- R. L. Klueh, A book entitled, High-Chromium Ferritic and Martensitic Steels for Nuclear Applications:" authored by R.L. Klueh (ORNL) and D. R. Harries (ORNL Consultant) published by the American Society for Testing and Materials (West Conshohocken, PA), 2002.
- W. R. Hendrich, W. J. McAfee, C. R. Luttrell, Development of a new technique to measure the circumferential tensile properties, i.e. strength and ductility, of highly irradiated nuclear fuel cladding, 2002.
- B. P. Lovelace, Administrative organizational skills and attention to detail on the extensive review of the Basic Energy Sciences (BES) Materials and Engineering Physics Program review for the M&C Division, 2002.
- R. A. Bradley, 21st Century Truck Technology Roadmap, 2001.
- G. M. Stocks, Computational Materials Science Network (CMSN), 2001.
- B. J. Russell, Marketing Plan for the High Temperature Materials Laboratory (HTML), 2001.
- P. Angelini, V. Sikka, M. Santella, R&D development and implementation of Ni3Al fixtures for furnaces, 2001.
- R. Stoller, Short-term assignment at DOE-BES, 2001.
- B. Hickey, PEM Fuel Cells for Transportation Program, 2001.
- K. More, P. Tortorelli, J. Keiser, M. Ferber, Testing and Characterization of Ceramic Composite Combustor Liner Materials for Gas Turbines, 2000.
- D. Stinton, AEP, 2000.
- M. Santella, P. Maziasz, V. Sikka, Development of a high-strength, corrosion-resistant iron aluminide (FeAl) alloy, 2000.
- M. Rogers, DOE-OTT sponsored research program directed at the development of a novel adsorbent carbon monolith materials for low pressure storage (500 psi) of natural gas, 2000.
- S. Viswanathan, For development of casting capability and casting research program, 2000.
- D. Lee, F. List, P. Martin, Superconducting Technology Program milestone, 2000.
- P. Wenzel, For updating and revising the OHVT Roadmap, 2000.
- J. Keiser, B. Swindeman, P. Maziasz, X-L. Wang, Analysis of composite tube cracking in recovery boiler floors, 1999.
- R. Parten, Built a prototype of a new furnace for the Instron Tensile Test Machines in the Mechanical Characterization and Analysis User Center, 1999.
- G. E. Ice, B. C. Larson, J. D. Budai, J.-S. Chung, N. Tamura, Quantitative Nanoscale Techniques Using the Microfocus X-ray Beam at the Advanced Photo Source (APS), 1999.
- S. A. Shugart, Designed and implemented computerized Job Work-Flow System for the M&C Division Photographic Imaging Group, 1999.
- L. Horton, Leadership in the BES External Peer Review Program, 1999.
- K. Simonson, Leadership of the secretarial staff in the M&C Division, 1999.
- H. Longmire, Significant programmatic activities requiring metallography support in the M&C Division, 1999.
- J. Vought, Fabrication of test tubes as a test loop in the superheater section of Ohio Edison's Niles Plant, 1999.
- L. Allard, M. Wright, E. Kenik, C. Hubbard, E. Voelkl, D. Hill, J. Rome, Materials Microcharacterization Collaboratory (MMC), 1999.
- D. Hickman, Control of property items, 1999.
- J. Henry, Carbon composite electrode for a proton exchange membrane fuel cell, 1999.
- Becky Dearien, 1999.
- R. Dinwiddie, Conceived and completed the initial development of a Thermography Facility within the Thermophysical Properties User Center, 1998.
- L. L. Snead, Outstanding contribution to the Fusion Materials Program in the area of radiation effects in ceramic materials, 1998.
- M. J. Gardner, Significant achievements related to the production of four color micrographs that appeared on the cover of major scientific journals, 1998.
- P. Maziasz, B. Swindeman, B. Pint, Improved creep-resistance time used for primary surface recuperator applications for Solar Turbines, Inc., 1998.
- No Winners
- C. Blue, Establishment of a new infrared-based materials processing capability and developing substantial funding, 1998.
- G. Worley, L. Hinton, For work on the Nonemployee Processing (NEP) System and the SAP nonemployee process, 1998.
- W. Jones, For outstanding work in developing techniques for preparation of samples for investigating of microstructure and microcomposition using state-of-the-art analytical electron microscopy, 1998.
- T. D. Burchell, J. W. Klett, J. L. Bailey, Superior Carbon-carbon composite aircraft brake materials, for Allied Signal, Aircraft Landing Systems Division, 1997.
- M. L. Grossbeck, M. A. Janney, C. C. Davisson, D. W. Heatherly, Thermal Neutron Shields, 1997.
- E. Voekl, Advanced capabilities for remote control of electron microscopes in the Materials Analysis User Center of the HTML, 1997.
- P. M. Craft, Superb support in the timely procurement of components and materials, 1997.
- R. E. Stoller, Displacement damage and transmutations, 1997.
- M. K. Miller, Atom Probe Field Ion Microscopy Book, 1997.
- D. C. Harper, Philip Morris U.S.A. Project, 1997.
- C. L. Fitzpatrick, Exemplary support to research staff and substantial cost savings realized during coordination of special fabrication activities for the M&C Division and others throughout ORNL, 1997.
- K. L. More, Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles (PNGV) Award for work done by Low Emission Partnership's (LEP) Lean-NOx Catalyst" CRADA team, 1997.
- G. E. Ice, Contributions to the development of several beamlines at the Advanced Photon Source (APS) at ANL that have facilitated the overall development of the facility, 1997.
- M. K. Ferber, Mechanical behavior of silicon nitride components for the Advanced Turbine Systems (ATS) Program, 1997.
- S. W. Cook, ORNL Triple Ion Beam Facility, 1997.
- B. J. Russell, High Temperature Materials Laboratory (HTML) Fellowship Program, 1997.
- R. A. Raschke, Contributions as secretary to the M&C Division Program Office of the Heavy-Section Steel Irradiation (HSSI) Program, 1997.
- E. E. Bloom, Fusion Program, 1996.
- E. P. George, C. T. Liu, Effect of Low-Pressure Hydrogen on the Room-Temperature Tensile Ductility and Fracture Behavior of Ni3Al paper, published in Acta Met. and Intermetallics, 1996.
- S. J. Zinkle, L. L. Snead, W. S. Eatherly, Radiation Induced Electrical Degradation RIED, 1996.
- W. H. Butler, D. M. Nicholson, X. G. Zhang, Giant Magnetoresistance (GMR), 1996.
- D. M. Kroeger, E. D. Specht, A. Goyal, other division teams, RABiTS, 1996.
- R. Dinwiddie, Brake roughness, 1996.
- M. K. Ferber, Solar Turbines, Inc., 1996.
- M. L. Santella, V. K. Sikka, Development of Composition, Specification, and Welding Procedure for Successful Welds in Large-Diameter Pipe Rolls, 1996.
- A. J. Moorehead, Development of a nonmetallic glass that wets the magnetic particles and bonds them into a dense body, 1996.
- B. D. Hickman, Procurement support, 1996.
- R. A. Lowden, Invention of a non-toxic, frangible bullet that is manufactured via a powder metallurgy route, 1995.
- B. Radhakrishnan, Development of a new recrystallization model for the High Strength Steel part of the Lightweight Materials CRADA, 1995.
- A. Goyal, D. M. Kroeger, E. D. Specht, Oxide superconductors, 1995.
- D. Barker, Powder Characterization Laboratory, 1995.
- M. R. Upton, Assumed leadership position and implemented a new budgeting system, 1995.
- G. S. Painter, Nanoscale science, 1995.
- A. J. Moorhead, Low-loss magnetic cores for the rotor of a very large control moment gyroscope, 1995.
- R. R. Judkins, V. K. Sikka, G. M. Goodwin, Integrated coal gasification combined cycle (IGCC) system, 1995.
- P. M. Humphreys, Responsibility for promoting and selling exhibit space for the First Industrial Energy Efficiency Symposium and Exposition, 1995.
- P. M. Craft, Procurement of large number of items for the Construction of Low-Temperature Uniform Droplet System, 1995.
- E. Lara-Curzio, The Continuous Fiber Ceramic Composite (CFCC) Program, 1995.
- K. L. More, HTML User Program materials characterization accomplishments, 1995.
- R. Baldwin, Analysis of overall level of P&E craft support to M&C, 1995.
- A. J. Carter, Service as accounting support specialist for M&C Division activities, 1995.
- L. D. Chitwood, C. V. Dodd, J. R. Pate, ORNL gel casting process, 1994.
- O. Omatete, NIST Advanced Technology Program, 1994.
- D. J. Walmsley, Environmental, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Compliance, 1994.
- G. M. Stocks, D. M. Nicholson, W. A. Shelton, ORNL 512-node Paragon XP/S-35, 1994.
- M. L. Ferber, M. A. Karnitz, J. H. DeVan, R. E. Holcomb, Advanced Turbine Systems (ATS) program, 1994.
- R. R. Judkins, D. P. Stinton, J. C. McLaughlin, High temperature filter technology for 3M Company, 1994.
- A. D. McMillan, Electronic-related materials for the Ohio Brass CRADA, 1994.
- M. L. Atchley, Coordinator for the industrial work through the National Machine Tool Partnership (NMTP) Program, 1994.
- C. L. Fitzpatrick, GM CRADA test bars, 1994.
- E. C. Hatfield, D. C. Harper, C. R. Howell, J. D. Vought, Philip Morris, 1994.
- J. R. Keiser, Materials support for Stone & Webster Engineering Company, 1994.
- R. H. Cooper, Gail Ludtka, T. C. Reuther, H. W. Hayden, R. M. Davis, Development, Demonstration, and Environmental Analysis of Tungsten Composite Technology for High Performance KE Penetrators, 1994.
- E. C. Hatfield, Development of new method for deformation processing of high Tc superconductor ribbons, 1993.
- V. R. Bullington, Comprehensive display of national laboratory capabilities for the signing of the Vehicle of The Future Agreement at the White House on October 13, 1993, 1993.
- R. H. Cooper and J. P. Moore, Operations of the Isotope space power system at Y-12, 1993.
- C. R. Hubbard, T. A. Dodson, with S. Spooner, Director's Fun proposal, 1993.
- R. A. McKee, E. D. Specht, Advanced optical waveguide materials, 1993.
- L. L. Horton, (with ESD), Oak Ridge National Laboratory Science Honors Workshop, 1993.
T. Zacharia, Materials and process modeling program, 1993.
- V. T. Jenkins, Modular High-Temperature Gas-Cooled Reactor Program, 1993
- V. J. Tennery, High Temperature Materials Laboratory, the Ceramic Manufacturability Center (CDM), 1993.
- D. F. Craig, M. A. Karnitz, E. G. Dixon, 1991
- J. L. Johnson, 1991
- M. J. Kania, 1991
- W. H. Miller, 1991
- K. F. Russell, 1991
- R. H. Bladwion, 1991
- R. A. Buhl, 1991