MSTD has a total of 73 R&D100 Awards.
- Nano-Super Hard – Inexpensive – Laser Deposited Coatings, or NanoSHIELD Coatings, were developed by ORNL in conjunction with Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Strategic Analysis Inc., Ozdemir Engineering Inc., Colorado School of Mines and Carpenter Technology Corp. ORNL’s team consisted of William Peter, Ryan Dehoff, Peter Blau, Wei Chen, Andrew Klarner, Kevin Harper, and Larry Lowe (MSTD); Craig Blue and Art Clemons (EES), Thomas King Jr. (MSSE); and John Rivard (GSD) (2012).
- HiCap Adsorbents were jointly developed and submitted by ORNL and Hills Inc. The ORNL team consisted of Christopher Janke, and Tomonori Saito (MSTD); Costas Tsouris (ETSD); Yatsandra Oyola, Chris Bauer, Xiao-Guang Sun, Sheng Dai, and Richard Mayes (CSD) (2012).
- Low-Cost, Lightweight Robotic Hand Based on Additive Manufacturing was developed and submitted by Lonnie Love, Bradley Richardson, and Randall Lind (MSSE); Ryan Dehoff, William Peter, and Larry Lowe (MSTD), Craig Blue, Martin Keller, and Art Clemons (EES) (2012).
- Asymmetric Rolling Mill: A Novel Route for Processing Sheet and Plate was jointly developed and submitted by FATA Hunter Inc., ORNL and Magnesium Elektron North America. The ORNL team consisted of Govindarajan Muralidharan, Thomas Muth, Evan Ohriner, William Peter, David Harper, Thomas Watkins, Eliot Specht (MSTD), and Alan Liby (EES) (2012).
- Low-Cost Plasma Processing System for Research and Pilot Production, or LFRF-501, was jointly developed and submitted by Structured Materials Industries, ORNL and the University of California at Santa Cruz. ORNL’s participants were Govindarajan Muralidharan, Fred List, and Harry Meyer III (MSTD), Parans Paranthaman, and Tolga Aytug (CSD) (2012).
- Highest Pinning Force, High-Temperature Superconducting Wires with Double-Perovskite Tantalate Nano-Pinning Centers was jointly developed and submitted by ORNL and SuperPower Inc., a subsidiary of Furakawa Electric Company, Japan, and the University of Houston. The ORNL team consisted of Amit Goyal, Sung-hun Wee, Claudia Cantoni and Eliot Specht (MSTD) (2012).
- Mesoporous Carbon for Capacitive Deionization Electrodes for Desalination, developed and jointly submitted by ORNL's Sheng Dai and Richard Mayes of the Chemical Sciences Division, David DePaoli and Costas Tsouris of the Energy and Transportation Science Division, James Kiggans Jr. of the Materials Science and Technology Division, Craig Blue, director of the Energy Materials Program, Charles Schaich of the Measurment Science and Systems Engineering Division, former post doctoral researcher Xiquing Wang and Frederic W. Seamon III of Campbell Applied Physics, 2011.
- Self-assembled, Ferromagnetic-Insulator Nanocomposites for Ultrahigh-Density Data Storage, developed and submitted by Amit Goyal, Junsoo Shin, Claudia Cantoni and James Thompson of ORNL's Materials Science and Technology Division, 2011.
- CermaClad,jointly developed and submitted by MesoCoat of Euclid, Ohio, EMTEC, an international company with headquarters in Springfield, N.J. and ORNL. The ORNL team consists of Craig Blue, director of the Energy Materials Program, Art Clemons of the Energy Materials Program, Nancy Dudney, Chad Duty, David Harper, Adrian Sabau and Vinod Sikka of the Materials Science and Technology Division, Ron Ott of the Energy and Transportation Science Division and John Rivard of the Global Security Directorate, 2011.
- New Stainless Steel Alloy Tooling for High Temperature Presses that Form Aircraft Components, developed and jointly submitted by Roman Pankiw, Don Voke and Alberto Jablonski of Duraloy Technologies and an ORNL team consisting of Govindarajan Muralidharan, Phil Maziasz, Neal Evans, Mike Santella, Chris Stevens, Jackie Mayotte, Ed Kenik (retired), Vinod Sikka (retired) and Ken Liu, 2011.
- High-Performance, High-Tc Superconducting Wires Enabled via Self-assembly of Non-superconducting Columnar Defects, developed and jointly submitted by SuperPower Inc., the University of Houston, and the University of Tennessee with ORNL researchers Amit Goyal, Sung-hun Wee), Eliot Specht, Karren More, Claudia Cantoni, Keith Leonard, David Christen, Jim Thompson, Malcolm Stocks (MSTD), Tolga Aytug, Mariappan Paranthaman (CSD), Yanfei Gao (CSMD), and Dominic Lee (ESD), 2010.
- Strontium Iodide Scintillator for Gamma Ray Spectroscopy, submitted by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. ORNL's participants included Lynn Boatner, Joanne Ramey and James Kolopus (MSTD), 2010.
- Sulfur-Carbon Nanocomposite Cathode Material and Additives for Lithium-Sulfur Batteries, developed and submitted by Chengdu Liang (CNMS), Nancy Dudney, and Jane Howe (MSTD), 2010.
- Ztherm Modulated Thermal Analysis, developed and jointly submitted by Asylum Research Company and an ORNL research team consisting of Sergei Kalinin (CNMS/MSTD), Maxim Nikiforov, and Stephen Jesse (CNMS), 2010.
- AFA: Alumina-Forming Austenitic Stainless Steels,M. P. Brady, Y. Yamamoto, P. J. Maziasz, M. L. Santella, B. A. Pint (MSTD), C. T. Liu (UT, retired from ORNL), Z. P. Lu (US&T, Beijing, China, formerly ORNL), D. P. Stinton (Transportation Prog & NTRC User Fac), J. R. Keiser (MSTD), V. K. Sikka (Ross Tech. Corp, retired from ORNL), I. G. Wright (MSTD), 2009.
- Superconducting "Wires" by Epitaxial Growth on Structural, Single-Crystal, Faceted Fibers (SSIFFSTM), A. Goyal (MSTD), J. Outwater (Sapphire Systems, Inc.,), S.-H. Wee (ORNL/UT), E. D. Specht (MSTD), Y. Zuev (ORISE postdoctoral fellow), C. Cantoni (MSTD), D. F. Lee (Energy Eff & Electricity Tech Program), J. R. Thompson (MSTD), 2009.
- Thermomagnetic Processing (TMP) Technology, G. M. Ludtka, G. Mackiewicz-Ludtka (MSTD), R. A. Kisner, J. B. Wilgen (Measurement Science & Systems Engr Div), E. C. Hatfield (MSTD), C. A. Blue (Energy Materials Program), V. K. Sikka (Ross Tech. Corp, retired from ORNL), R. A. Jaramillo (Special Metals Corp., formerly with ORNL), A. Ahmed, A. Bogicevic, J. A. Kovacich (Eaton Corp), P. Arakawa, R. Efferson, Grey Laughon, A. Chourey (American Magnetics, Inc.), R. H. McKelvey, R. R. Akers, G. D. Pfaffmann (Ajax TOCCO Magnethermic Corp.), 2009.
- MELCOT: Methodology for Estimating the Life of Power Line Conductor-Connector Systems Operating at High Temperatures, J-A. J. Wang, E. Lara-Curzio (MSTD), T. J. King, Jr. (Energy Efficiency & Electricity Technologies Program), jointly with John Chan (Electric Power Research Institute, Joe Graziano (Tennessee Valley Authority, and Tip Goodwin III (PBS&J), 2009.
- PulseForge 3100 with Pulse Thermal Processing, C. A. Blue (Energy Materials Program), A. Clemons (retired from ORNL), N. J. Dudney, C. E. Duty, D. C. Harper, R. D. Ott, A. S. Sabau (MSTD), J. Rivard (DARPA/DSO Contract Support), S. Farnsworth, K. Schroder, D. Jackson, S. McCool, D. Pope, T. Kierzyk, D. Lind, I. Rawson, R. Sommers (NovaCentrix), 2009.
- Adaptive Band Excitation Controller and Software for Scanning Probe Microscopy, S. Jesse, S. V. Kalinin (MSTD); R. Proksch (Asylum Research Corp)., 2008.
- Cratos V Nano-Wool, Roland Seals (Y-12); P. A. Menchhofer, V. K. Sikka, F. C. Montgomery (MSTD), 2008.
- Laser-induced Fluorescence Composite Heat Damage Detector, C. J. Janke, C. Eberle (MSTD); L. C. Maxey, J. M. Storey (ETSD); A. Clemons (NSD); Walt Fisher, Eric Wachter, and J. Fisher (Galt Technologies), 2008.
- NanoSH Superhydrophobic Technology, J. T. Simpson, B. R. D’Urso, S. R. McNeany (Measurement Science and Systems Engineering Division); V. K. Sikka (MSTD); D. E. Speicher, A. Jones (Ross Technology Corp.), 2008.
- 2-MGEM, Optical Anisotropy Factor Measurement System, D. Mark, B. Wang; A. Breninger, T. Hadid, C. Mansfield, B. Lakanen, A. Gezahegn (Hinds Instruments); G. E. Jellison, Jr., J. D. Hunn, C. M. Rouleau (MSTD), 2008.
- Armstrong Process CP Ti and Ti Alloy Powder and Products, International Titanium Powder; C. A. Blue, J. Kiggans, S. D. Nunn, P. S. Sklad (MSTD); W. H. Peter, J. Rivard (ORNL postdoctoral fellows); A. Clemons (NSD); BAE Systems; AMETEK; National Energy Technology Laboratory; Red Devil Brakes, 2007.
- High-Performance LMO-enabled, High Temperature Superconducting Wires, SuperPower Inc.; M. P. Paranthaman, T. Aytug (CSD); A. Goyal (MSTD), 2007.
- Cast Nickel Aluminide for Improved Productivity of Steel Heat-Treating Furnaces, Duraloy Technologies, Mittal Steel USA, Anthony Martocci (consultant); V. K. Sikka, M. L. Santella (MSTD), J. D. McNabb, Fabrication Division, 2007.
- TMA® 6301 and TMA® 4701: New Heat-Resistant Alloys, DOE Oak Ridge National Laboratory; Duraloy Technologies, Inc.; Scottdale PA, Nucor Sheet Mil Group; Crawford I, G. Muralidharan, V. K. Sikka, P. J. Maziasz, N. D. Evans, M. L. Santella, C. O. Stevens, K. C. Liu (retired) (MSTD), 2006.
- Metal Infusion Surface Treatment (MIST) Technology, DOE Oak Ridge National Laboratory; C3 International; Alpharetta GA; C. A. Blue, P. B. Kadolkar, C. K. Narula, A. E. Pasto, Gail Mackiewicz-Ludtka, C. R. Howell, E. C. Hatfield, V. K. Sikka, G. E. Jellison, T. R. Watkins, R. A. Meisner, P. J. Blau, H. M. Meyer III, J. J. Truhan, L. F. Allard, Gerald M Ludkta, W. D. Porter, E. Lara-Curzio (MSTD); M. A. Deininger (C3 International), 2006.
- Advanced Heating System for High-Performance Aluminum Forgings, C. A. Blue , P. B. Kadolkar, P. G. Engleman (Doctoral Student at ORNL), C. R. Howell, J. R. Mayotte, V. K. Sikka, E. K. Ohriner, R. Kervick (Komtek); H. Mayer (Queen City Forging Company); G. Mochnal (Forging Industry Association); T. Ando (Northeastern University); H. Lu (Doctoral Student at Northeastern University); C. T. Blue (Infrared Heating Technologies, LLC), 2004.
- CF8C-Plus: New Cast Stainless Steel for High-Temperature Performance, P. J. Maziasz, R. W. Swindeman; Caterpillar Technical Center, M. J. Pollard, M. E. Frary; Caterpillar Track-Type Tractors Business Unit, C. Siebenaler; Bradley University, T. E. McGreevy; Solar Turbines - DeSoto Overhaul Facility, P. F. Browning; Solar Turbines - Materials & Processes Engineering, A. K. Bhattacharya, 2003.
- ORNL Spiral-Notch Torsion Test (SNTT) System, K. C. Liu, J. A. Wang (NSTD); Inventure Laboratories, Inc., 2002.
- Differentially Deposited X-Ray Microfocus Mirrors, G. E. Ice, Andrew Lunt (Beamline Technology Corporation), 2000.
- ORNL High-Thermal-Conductivity Graphite Foam, J. W. Klett, T. D. Burchell, A. Choudhury (OTT); R. Mertz, C. Turner, L. W. Wiechmann (POCO Graphite, Inc.), 2000.
- RABITS (trademark): Low-Cost, Single-Crystal-Like, Flexible Substrates for Energy/Electronic Applications, A. Goyal; J. D. Budai; D. Norton; E. Specht; D. K. Christen; D. M. Kroeger; M. P. Paranthaman; F. A, List; R. Feenstra; Lee; Beach; Martin; E. C. Hatfield; Mathis; Park (post doc); Cui (post doc); Verebelyi (post doc); Williams; C. Cantoni; A. Kerchner; Chirayil (post doc), 1999.
- Self-Cleaning Carbon Air Filter, K. A. Wilson (ORNL Administrative Services); T. D. Burchell and R. R. Judkins, 1999.
- Metal Ceramic Composite Crucible, M. S. Morrow (Y-12); J. O. Kiggans, Jr.; C. E. Holcombe (Retired Y-12 Consultant to ORNL M&C Div); D. G. Rexford (Blasch Precision Ceramics), 1997.
- Vari-Wave, Microwave Heating Instrument, D. Bible (I&C); R. Lauf; Lambda Technologies, Z. Fathi, M. Hampton, R. Stevens, 1997.
- Metal Compression Forming, S. Viswanathan; R. M. Purgert (Thompson Aluminum Casting Co.), 1997.
- Thin-Film Rechargeable Lithium Batteries, J. B. Bates, N. J. Dudney, C. F. Luck, 1996.
- Potassium Tantalate (Niobate) Substrates for Electrooptic and Superconducting Fim Growth, R. Feenstra, L. A. Boatner, and M. Urbanik, 1996.
- 3M Ceramic Composite Filter, D. P. Stinton, R. R. Judkins, R. A. Lowden, and J. C. Mclaughlin; J. T. Bailey, E. M. Fischer, J. H. Eaton, J. L. Kahnke, D. J. Pysher, R. G. Smith, B. L. Weaver (3M Company, Inc.), 1995.
- Gelcasting, M. A. Janney, O. O. Omatete, S. D. Nunn, C. A. Walls, 1995.
- EXO-Melt Process, V. K. Sikka, J. D. Vought, S. C. Deev, 1995.
- Hard Surfaced Polymers, E. H. Lee, M. B. Lewis, L. K. Mansur , 1992.
- Electromagnetic Liquid Metal Inclusion Removal Device, V. K. Sikka, D. O. Hobson, I. Alexeff (University of Tennessee), 1991.
- Scanning Transmission Electron Microscope, (ORNL/VG Microscopes, Ltd.), S. J. Pennycook, 1990.
- Ductile Iron Aluminides, C. G. McKamey, V. K. Sikka, C. T. Liu, 1990.
- ORNL HT-UPS (High-Temperature, Ultrafine-Precipitate-Strengthened) "Lean" Austenitic Stainless Steel, P. J. Masiasz, R W. Swindeman, 1990.
- Transmission Polarizer for Neutron Beams, H. A. Mook and J. B. Hayter, 1989.
- Gasless Metal Atomization and Spray Forming Nozzle, D. O. Hobson, V. K. Sikka; I. Alexeff (UT), 1989.
- Fiber-Reinforced Ceramic-Composite Fabrication, D. P. Stinton, A. J. Caputo, R. A. Lowden, T. M. Besman (ORNL), 1987.
- Integrated Gas Analysis and Sensing (IGAS) Chip, R. J. Lauf, B. S. Hoffheins, M. S. Emery, M. W. Siegel (Carnegie-Mellon U. Pittsburgh) (work funded by Cabot Corp), 1986.
- Lead-Iron Phosphase Glass Process for High-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal, B. C. Sales and L. A. Boatner, 1985.
- ORNL SG-2 Metal Oxide Varistor, R. J. Lauf, W. D. Bond, 1985.
- ORNL Biaxial High-Temperature Fatigue Extensometer, K. C. Liu, 1985.
- Ultrasonically Pulsed Neutron Time-of-Flight Spectrometer, H.A. Mook and H. K. Schulze, 1984.
- Supersaturated Semiconductor Alloys, C. W. White, J. Narayan, B. R. Appleton, and O. W. Holland, 1983.
- X-Ray Monochromator: High-Performance X-Ray Focusing Optics for Synchrotron Radiation, C. J. Sparks, G. E. Ice, Jr., M. Willey, 1983.
- Nife Aluminide (Nickel-Iron Aluminide), C. T. Liu, C. C. Koch, 1983.
- Multiple-Frequency Eddy-Current Testing Instrument, C. V. Dodd, L. D. Chitwood, W. E. Deeds, 1983.
- Monazite Process for Stabilization of High-Level Radioactive Waste, L. A. Boatner, M. M. Abraham, 1982.
- Dispersed-Metal Toughened Ceramics, C. S. Morgan, A. J. Moorhead, J. Narayan, Y. Chen, 1982.
- High Performance Ceramics Through Inclusion of Dispersed Metals or Metallic, J. Narayan, Y. Chen, C. S. Morgan, A. J. Moorhead, 1982.
- Super 9 Cr-1 Mo Steel Alloy, V. I. Sikka, R. E. McDonald, J. F. King, P. Patriarca, C. T. Ward, G. C. Bodine, 1982.
- Graphnol N3M Bulk Graphite Process, C. R. Kenney, W. P. Eatherly, 1982.
- Continuous-Ring Particle Blender Dispense, M. G. Willey, P. Angelini, A. J. Caputo, D. Kiplinger, R. R. Suchomel (P&E and Engineering), 1980.
- Low-Cost Laser Diffused Solar Cells, J. Narayan, R. T. Young, and R. F. Wood, 1979.
- Structural Alloys (DOT Alloys), C. T. Liu, H. Inouye, A. C. Schaffhauser, 1979.
- Fabrication Process for Nuclear Fuel (Gel-Sphere-PAC-Process), (M&C/Chemical Technology) W. J. Lackey, P. A. Haas, R. R. Suchomel, R. L. Beatty, J. M. Begovich, F. A. Kappelmann, D. P Stinton, A. L. Lotts, P. Angelini, A. J. Caputo, J. E. Mack, A. E. Pasto, A. D. Ryon, K. J. Notz, R. E. Norman, C. C. Haws, M. H. Lloyd, R. D. Spence, E. L. Long, F. E. Harrington, Jr., J. A. Horak, R. E. Leuze, R. G. Donnelly, J. S. Vavruska, 1979.
- Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering System (ORSAXS), R. W. Hendricks, 1977.
- Directionally Solidified Metal Oxide-Metal Eutectic Composites, A . T. Chapman, G. W. Clark, 1976.
- Ceramic-Wire Neutron Dosimetry Materials, E. H. Kobisk and T. C. Quinby, 1976.
- Large, Totally Transparent Crystals of the Alkaline Earth Oxides MgO, CaO, SrO, Y. Chen and M. M. Abraham, 1975.