- Use of carbon materials for energy-related applications: gas storage (hydrogen, methane), gas separation and purification (CO2 scrubbing, adsorption of VOC from air), and energy storage
- Carbon nanostructures; nanoporous carbons
- Physical chemistry and electrochemistry of oxide/solution and carbon/solution interfaces; electrochemical energy storage
- Synthesis and characterization of activated carbons, magnetically responsive carbons, catalysts and catalyst supports
- Surface reactivity of carbon materials, oxides, catalysts, and catalyst supports.
- Colloid and surface chemistry
- Advanced topics in nanoscience and nanotechnology http://www.nanoscienceworks.org/people/contescu-cristian-i
Bucharest Polytechnic Institute, Ph.D., 1979, Chemical Kinetics and Catalysis
- Bucharest University (Highest Honors), M.S., 1971, Physical Chemistry
Research and Professional Experience:
- 2004–present - Senior Research Staff Member, ORNL, Oak Ridge, TN
- 2001–2004 - Senior Scientist, Materials Methods LLC, Newport Beach, CA
- 1999-2001 - Senior Scientist, HITCO Carbon Composites Inc., Gardena, CA
- 1996-1999 - Senior Research Scientist, Upstate Laboratory Inc., Syracuse, NY
- 1996-1997 - Senior Scientist I, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- 1996-1997 - Adjunct Associate Professor, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- 1992-1996 - Research Associate / Visiting Fellow, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- 1971-1992 - Senior Research Scientist / Research Scientist / Chemist, Institute of Physical Chemistry of Romanian Academy, Bucharest, Romania
- S. M. Jaffe and C. I. Contescu, “Adsorbent Sheet Material for Parallel Passage Contactors”, U.S. Patent 7,077,891 (July 18, 2006).
- K. Putyera, C. I. Contescu, K. A. G. Amankwah, and W. S. Amato, “Post-carbonization Treatment of Microporous Carbons for Enhancement of Methane and Natural Gas Storage Properties”, U.S. 6,225,257 (May 1, 2001).
- L. I. Patron, S. D. Plostinary, A. Contescu, M. Vass, C. P. Osiceanu, M. L. Cristea, C. I. Contescu, D. D. Crisan, C. N. Stanica, “Combined Oxides on Lanthanides Basis Preparation Process”, Romanian Patent RO 0100723B1 (October 29,1991).
- M. I. Vass, V. A. Diaconescu,; C. I. Contescu: “Process and Device for Nitriding Small Iron and Steel Parts” (“Procedee et Dispositif pour la Nitruration des Petites Pieces en Acier et Fer”), Romanian Patent, RO 0070382 B1 (February 2, 1985).
Professional Societies, Professional Services, Awards, and Honors:
- Editorial Board member: Carbon journal (Elsevier) (2007)
- American Carbon Society: Program Committee of CARBON 2007 Conference, Seattle, WA
- Editor: Dekker Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (Taylor and Francis)
- Scientific Review Panel, DOE-BES, basic research for Hydrogen Fuel Initiative (2007)
- Board of reviewers: Carbon, J Phys. Chem., J. Nuclear Mat., Chem. Mater., J. Colloid Interface Sci., Applied Catalysis, Thermochimica Acta, Thin Solid Films, Ind. Engn. Chem. Res., etc
- American Chemical Society, Division of Colloid and Surface Science: co-organizer of three symposia on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (2001, 2003, 2004)
- Romanian Academy, Chemical Sciences Division: “G. Spacu” National Award offered for basic research on catalyst preparation (1991)
- IREX (International Research Exchange): research grant at Syracuse University (1990)